THE WORLD OF ENGLISH Thursday, 18.04.2024, 04:42
Welcome Guest | RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: Seagull  
Forum » UNIVERSITY LIFE » Video Lessons » My Fair Lady (1964) (3d Year, 1st Semester)
My Fair Lady (1964)
TeacherDate: Tuesday, 18.11.2014, 12:17 | Message # 1
Head teacher
Group: Admins
Awards: 0
Consider what has been changed, removed, or enhanced in the move from the stage to the screen, and from a talking play to a musical. What does the adaptation reveal about popular expectations of a romance, versus the original intentions of the playwright? In your opinion, which of these works is the best? Why? (300 words)Consider what has been changed, removed, or enhanced in the move from the stage to the screen, and from a talking play to a musical. What does the adaptation reveal about popular expectations of a romance, versus the original intentions of the playwright? In your opinion, which of these works is the best? Why? (300 words)
Attachments: 0041650.jpg (45.2 Kb)

In Vino Veritas...

ValerkaDate: Monday, 24.11.2014, 18:19 | Message # 2
Union committee president
Group: Reliable
Musicalfilm “My Fair Lady” cuta fine figure. To be honest, I am not used to watching such kinds of films, but
nevertheless this screen version touched me. Surely, I had to compare it with
the play “Pygmalion” by George Bernard Shaw because the film was based on the
play. So, I cannot say that I noticed some deviations from the plot of the play
vice versa there were many compelling extra moments that made me funny.
According to the nature of the literary work, it is a striking comedy that can
pick everybody up. But notwithstanding this fact, it contained eccentricity,
sagacity and democratic spirit which reflected deep social problems of that
time. When I haven’t watched the movie yet, I couldn’t image such thrilling
details that concerned the process of teaching. It was so informative to
observe this process of changing pronunciation from Cockney to general
pronunciation, especially for me as a future teacher. Unfortunately, there
aren’t enough details in the play and, of course, it would be better to borrow
it from the musical.  When it comes to
the scenery, I can say without doubting that everything was on a high level.
So, it means that I was given a great opportunity to plunge into the atmosphere
of that time. Well, I could make acquaintance with the British culture of that
time and behaviour of noble people. Moreover, I could be involved I such a
society where there are many uneducated people not only by nature but in their
inner world. It is definitely that I should pay attention to the musical design
of the film. All the songs of the characters contained the main idea which
implied to be showed by the director. To my mind, these funny songs made a stunning impression onevery person, especially on me. To tell the truth, it always made me laugh. In
conclusion, I would like to say that the screen version is considerably
laughable than the play. But I cannot say whether the paly or the film is the
best. It is impossible to estimate two wonderful works by two gorgeous people.

PashkaaDate: Friday, 05.12.2014, 23:51 | Message # 3
Union organizer
Almost every popular novel or play sooner or later gets an adaptation at the screen. Some of them show the best results and others aren’t worth
watching.
Speaking about “My fair Lady” and comparing it with the original play I must say that it is difficult to collate these two works and I can prove it by
the following facts.
Firstly, the format of the products is completely different. In thefirst case we have a play that easily can be staged. Characters just talk to
each other and everything looks realistic. In the second case we see a musical, in which people sing and make pathetic gestures. Moreover, most of actions are
followed by music that makes another perception of the events.
Secondly, the film adaptation has some changings in its structure which make it different from the play. It has some new locations for events to happen, such
as a hippodrome. It includes new replies such as “Move your bloomin' arse”. Besides, the plot of the film is a bit supplemented. Some events are shown in a
more detailed way. For example, the process of Elize’s teaching. Finally, it has another end that corresponds to spectators’ expectations, but it is not so vital as the one in the play.
However, as far as I can judge, the film is too overextended. I also do not like musicals at all. Furthermore, I wasn’t fond of the main heroin while
reading the play, so was I watching the movie.
On the other hand, the film is funnier because of musical atmosphere and its image is pleased to watch, because of a talanted cast, decorations and costumes.
In conclusion, I'd like to say that I give my preference to the play despite it is a hard choice, because of the reasons above.

Message edited by Pashkaa - Saturday, 06.12.2014, 00:04

JaneDate: Friday, 12.12.2014, 22:25 | Message # 4
Monitor
It's no doubt that almost every famous play is turned out in film adaptation. It will successful or not.
If we compare two works, ''My fair lady'' and the original play ''Pygmalion'', we can see that they have some differences.
Firstly, we have different kinds of manifestation of material. The first work is a musical, we can see all that happens and music make a certain impression. The other is a play, we can only imagine what the caracters are, what the scenery and so on.
Besides, I can say that some moments of the film are exciting and stirring. We can mention relations between Eliza and Higgins, the process of teaching and some other moments.
Then, we should say some words about structure. The musical has some discrepancies from the play. We have more places where some events happen, as it's a musical, it has different songs, that make an atmosphere funnier. And the end is another, that we have in a play. It makes people to think about the following development of events.
Moreover, I can say that atmosphere in the film is pleasant and thrilling. Also, songs make it more percerviable.
So, I can't say what is better the original play or the film adaptation because both of them are popular and two great people were involved in their creating. Each of them has its own individuality and style.

ValerieTrDate: Saturday, 13.12.2014, 02:30 | Message # 5
As it always happens, you always expect more from the screen version of the work of literature. When you read something, you always imagine the characters' appearance: their clothes or even some face's features. What is more, you can also depict in your imagination the scenery. But when the screen version is released, you always have contradictory feelings. This happened with me after the watching "My Fair Lady".
Firstly, I want to say that I don't really like musicals. So, the thing that "Pygmalion" is interpreted through musical was a real contradiction for the perception of the film for me. On the one hand, this idea has something in common with Shaw's works which are full of humor and irony and it cannot be denied that musicals create this atmosphere. But on the other hand, everything in me was against of such a way of presentation. 
 Secondly, the fact that some events are presented more detailed than in the play is really captivating. As for me, I was really delighted by the idea of inclusion of the scene with the teaching process. 
In conclusion, I would like to say that after the compare between the play “Pygmalion” and the movie “My Fair Lady” I can’t really come to the conclusion what is the best and what version I prefer more because both works are really worth seeing.

FoxyTDate: Tuesday, 16.12.2014, 11:07 | Message # 6
Group: Moders
I enjoy the movie version of the famous play even more than a handwritten variant. However, if I had not read it before, then maybe I would not have understood the movie so deeply.
Watching the film, I got great pleasure from actors’ playing and from my anticipation of events that must happen, because I wondered how the actors would express them in this musical.
The most important difference of the film from the play is, of course, a happy ending, peculiar for any romantic story. Eliza and Higgins finally stay together; express to each other their thoughts and reveal their true hidden feelings. Actors transfer these emotions and all the drama and romance of the moment very prettily and sensationally.
In addition, in the film we can’t call Eliza "ugly", the actress has a very gentle and noble appearance that makes attitude towards Eliza different from the very beginning of the musical.
Thus, it is everyone's business to decide whether a film version turned out to be more successful and detailed, or vice versa. But there are no doubts that  both a stage version and a movie have their peculiarities, unique moments and distinctive character and style of narration.

Forum » UNIVERSITY LIFE » Video Lessons » My Fair Lady (1964) (3d Year, 1st Semester)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024