THE WORLD OF ENGLISH Friday, 03.05.2024, 20:55
Welcome Guest | RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: Seagull  
Forum » MISCELLANEOUS - LIFE AS IT IS » Cinema and Movies » Film adaptations (Film adaptations)
Film adaptations
still_illDate: Tuesday, 09.11.2010, 23:58 | Message # 1
Student
Group: Users
Awards: 0
I've just watched "A Clockwork Orange" once again.It is a film adaptation of original Anthony Burgess's novel of the same name,screened by genius Stanley Kubrick. I believe it is one of the best of this sort.It's rather hard to bring an idea of a literary work through a movie to spectators and Kubrick definitely succeeds in this.
So,what do you,guys,think of film adaptations?Which of them are worth watching?

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment."

Message edited by still_ill - Tuesday, 09.11.2010, 23:59

ValeriyaDate: Wednesday, 06.04.2011, 13:03 | Message # 2
Monitor
In our country cinema-going isn't so popular now as it was earlier. People prefer to stay at home and to watch TV or video. I like to watch films very much. I prefer comedies, melodramas and horror movies, but I do not like thrillers tragedies very much, and I hate soap operas, although they are becoming very popular in our country. My favourite film is "A walk to remember". It's really wonderful from the beginning to the end. There are a lot of films which are worth seeing, but this one is the best one to my mind.

RinaDate: Saturday, 07.05.2011, 23:56 | Message # 3
Union committee president
Group: Friends
Awards: 4
Nowadays there are a lot of movies based on books. When I come across such movies, I usually try to find a book and read it first. Why? There are some reasons for that. I don't like reading books when I know what is going to happen in the end. As for movies, everything is vice versa – I adore watching smth I have read about, compare the director's vision and my own.
Some days ago I've read Kazuo Ishiguro's “Lever let me go” and then watched a movie based on it. The adaptation is quite ok – the atmosphere of peaceful melancholy is the same, but a lot of necessary details are lost. The idea of speechless and total obedience to one's destiny, character's attitude to their near death is expressed brilliantly in the book, but it is rather blurred in the movie. The reason for it is that the very book isn't rich in action and breathtaking events, it's full of small details, imperceptible hints that make up the whole narration that seems to be quite monotonous but at the same time very informative and touching. So, you can't include all these moments in one movie, you have to choose those that are important for understanding the main idea, but excluding others leads to distortion and vagueness.
Btw, I rarely come across really good adaptations. May be I just should stop reading books before watching?..

lovefootball)Date: Sunday, 08.05.2011, 19:48 | Message # 4
Dean
Awards: 3
And if movies are based not on serious fiction but comics? Are they 'doomed' to success in this case? As for books it's a real dilemma for me! On the one hand it's obvious that after reading you can't be objective and your expectations can simply fall short. At the same time other onlookers may be impressed and struck to the innermost of their soul! So ideally being an experienced reader presupposes an ability to abstract from the contents and willingness to perceive the director's ideas and look at the book at another angle.

RinaDate: Sunday, 08.05.2011, 22:33 | Message # 5
Group: Friends
Awards: 4
Quote (lovefootball))
And if movies are based not on serious fiction but comics? Are they 'doomed' to success in this case?

Well, there are numbers of movies based on comics and some of them have won viewers' love. The reason for that is quite obvious, I guess - in such movies almost everything from characters' looks to surroundings imitates the pictures in the comics. So, when you watch these movies, you see the characters you like and they seem very familiar to you, their looks don't differ from their painted originals. May be that's why you don't feel as irritated as when you understand that your vision and director's vision aren't the same...

Btw, you're right - reading books before watching gives you certain possibility to look at the book from another angle. One just shouldn't have any prejudice against the movie)))

lovefootball)Date: Monday, 09.05.2011, 17:12 | Message # 6
Dean
Awards: 3
H'm, agree, but it means that comics give less freedom to imagination...So in case the director decides to diverge from the original he takes a huge risk! The project can be a complete failure if an exacting onlooker doesn't appreciate its innovation. Another thing is that films based on comics are sometimes...a bit naive (and that's putting it mildly!). It's vividly seen that the actors feel uneasy and can't agree with their characters fully, besides, there's some discord in the action itself.

2YoungDate: Thursday, 12.05.2011, 01:14 | Message # 7
Monitor
I think, that nowadays the majority of movies are adaptations, but this fact doesn't mean they are "doomed to succes/failure". SOme of them can be really good. The last adaptation I've watched was "I am legend" with Will Smith. The book "I am legend" (sorry, don't remember the name of the auther) had at least 5 adaptations, may be more. They had different names, but I liked the film I've told you about the best. So, this prooves, that director, actors and book matter, speaking about succes, and not the fact wether it is an adaptation or it is not.

Metus, dolor, mors ac formidines

PashkaaDate: Saturday, 29.09.2012, 12:25 | Message # 8
Union organizer
Group: Reliable
There are a lot of films based on books. It's rarity that film is better that books, but I know few ones. For example, ''The Green Mile''. It's very nice adaptation! Unfortunately, there are little such films.

Little_MuDate: Thursday, 27.12.2012, 22:04 | Message # 9
Union organizer
(Pashkaa)
There are a lot of films based on books. It's rarity that film is better that books, but I know few ones. For example, ''The Green Mile''. It's very nice adaptation! Unfortunately, there are little such films.

Do you have favorite screen version of books? What do you think about films "Harry Potter"?)

Johnny_BravoDate: Friday, 04.01.2013, 19:23 | Message # 10
Union organizer
(Pashkaa)
It's rarity that film is better that books, but I know few ones. For example, ''The Green Mile''. It's very nice adaptation

Can you name more good adaptations?

FoxyTDate: Sunday, 06.01.2013, 12:55 | Message # 11
Group: Moders
I have a new habit - I read the book first and then watch a film based on this book.
Believe me, it's a more interesting way.

PashkaaDate: Sunday, 06.01.2013, 20:10 | Message # 12
Union organizer
(Little_Mu)
Do you have favorite screen version of books? What do you think about films "Harry Potter"?)

My favourite film which based on book is ''The Green Mile'' . What about Harry Potter....I like movies, but I haven't read the books. smile

Added (06.01.2013, 20:10)
---------------------------------------------

(Johnny_Bravo)
Can you name more good adaptations?

I like ''The Lord of the Rings'' very much!! smile

PerilovaDate: Saturday, 09.03.2013, 17:27 | Message # 13
Head teacher
Quote (Pashkaa)

Do you agree a book contains more detailed description of the events that we can not see in the movie ?

Forum » MISCELLANEOUS - LIFE AS IT IS » Cinema and Movies » Film adaptations (Film adaptations)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024