THE WORLD OF ENGLISH Saturday, 04.05.2024, 01:33
Welcome Guest | RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: Seagull  
Forum » MISCELLANEOUS - LIFE AS IT IS » Cinema and Movies » The Ebony Tower by J. Fowles
The Ebony Tower by J. Fowles
Former-TeacherDate: Wednesday, 14.03.2012, 13:36 | Message # 1
Dean
Group: Admins
Awards: 2
Discuss the movie here.

MissJaneDate: Friday, 16.03.2012, 15:51 | Message # 2
Union organizer
Group: Friends
Awards: 3
My first impression was as if I had been deceived because I didn't like the characters at all. While reading the story, I came up with a different image of the Mouse;though the actress was exactly corresponding with the description:
"She now wore a plain white cotton galabiya; a slim girl of slightly less than medium height and in her early twenties; brown and gold hair and regular features; level-eyed, rather wide eyes, and barefooted. She was unmistakably English." It's just my subjective opinion but the actress looked quite plain to be the "MUSE" of the old painter. Her gaze seemed to be a bit empty, less spiritual, and her very appearance suggested her unburdened mind. She reminded me of a sun-burnt field worker rather than a novice painter.
The Freak also looks older her real age in the movie - as if she were 35, had 7 children and worked as a minor all her life! Henry Breasly has swollen face and sometimes a red nose - I don't think the author's intention was to depict him as an alcoholic.
And one more thing. The movie had evidently been censured for TV so certain expressions were omited. Sometimes it creates a gap in the characteristic of the heros (especially, Henry Breasly).
I'd like to say I'm not criticising the movie as a whole but certain points are nevertheless weak.

LuckDate: Saturday, 17.03.2012, 16:25 | Message # 3
Union organizer
Group: Friends
Awards: 5
Well, my general impression from the movie is quite ok. The book itself is pretty hard to be interpreted but the actors managed to play the roles so that the audience could feel that inner emotional tension that was present both in the book and in the movie. Moreover the appearance of the actors corresponded to those images I had in my mind while reading the book. I did not see any exaggeration or understatement. Though that is definitely not an everyday-movie.

Forum » MISCELLANEOUS - LIFE AS IT IS » Cinema and Movies » The Ebony Tower by J. Fowles
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024