THE WORLD OF ENGLISH Sunday, 05.05.2024, 02:38
Welcome Guest | RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 3 of 3
  • «
Forum moderator: Teacher  
Forum » UNIVERSITY LIFE » Our Voice for your Choice » To be or not to be a Good Teacher
To be or not to be a Good Teacher
AyayuliaDate: Sunday, 15.05.2011, 23:02 | Message # 31
Union organizer
Group: Friends
Awards: 2
I think that one the worst problem of school teachers is labeling. If he/she decided that the pupil studies badly, his/her attitude towards this student keeps the same for years.

AsyaDate: Monday, 16.05.2011, 05:58 | Message # 32
Union committee president
Group: Moders
Awards: 6
lovefootball), I suppose that the situation in schools is a little bit different. We (I mean, students of the Uni) have chosen to continue our education. And pupils have to study because it is obligatory. We are specializing in the sphere we've chosen, they are getting general education. As Teacher often says, nothing can be more important for us during these 5 years than English since we have made a decision to study here.
That's why if one fails to meet the requirements when getting higher education he/she can be left behind. Nobody will suffer. Except for him/her, maybe. But when one doesn't study at school, he/she can't be left behind because all pupils must graduate and get some complete education. That's why school teachers have to "carry" such children if they "don't want to walk". Learn-resistant pupils are to be reassured, explained the consequences or simply forced to study. I think that makes a great difference.

Former-TeacherDate: Tuesday, 17.05.2011, 09:48 | Message # 33
Dean
Group: Admins
Quote (Asya)
That's why school teachers have to "carry" such children if they "don't want to walk". Learn-resistant pupils are to be reassured, explained the consequences or simply forced to study. I think that makes a great difference.

This is a bad misconception! If we want school pupils to study, we have one main thing to rely on - getting students' brains to work so that they feel ecstatic when at learning! It is the most difficult thing to do.
A lot of teachers ignore this simple truth - they start teaching morals saying what is good or bad. They forget that the worst thing is to leave the little brains hungry. First feed the brains with food for thought, give the brains ways of looking at the world, direct the brains towards personally relevant horisons, teach the brains how to think in a constructive and positive way, put the brains in situations that make them want to work.
When the young brains are lazy, when the brains are not invited to work, what can we expect form pupils! Brainwoprk should never be substituted with out-of-class activities and entertainment shows.
Teachers' inability to find ways to make pupils' brains work is the key factor to low academic achievement, a complete disregard of school or misbehaviour. Few teachers know how to make brains work. But a lot of teachers know how to give advice, how to talk about life, how to condone a child, how to humiliate a child, how not to make little brains work.
This is a mutual process - do teachers want to teach, really? Do teachers have facilities and a motivation to do their work well?

NekavaenDate: Tuesday, 17.05.2011, 11:33 | Message # 34
Head teacher
Group: Users
Awards: 1
There are cases when teachers really waste their own and our time on things that are not acceptable, from my point of view. For example, I can’t understand how a professional who is interested in developing his or her students’ brains and likes teaching can talk to a friend by phone right at the lesson for 20 minutes about shopping, plans for the weekend and so on, giggling in front of people who have come to the lesson to study grammar and develop speaking skills. Yes, if it’s something urgent, if it’s a talk with the boss, he or she should answer and discuss everything in detail, but a private telephone talk about parties and shopping at the lesson is not normal, is it?

And it’s really funny to work with teachers who are often late (from 10 to 30 minutes) and behave as nothing has happened, but criticize students for the same faults…

It is not human to be without shame and without desire. (Ursula K. Le Guin)

Former-TeacherDate: Tuesday, 17.05.2011, 13:19 | Message # 35
Dean
If I were you, I am sure I would complain to the dean! This is really irritating! I am sorry to know that the staff in our institute are unprofessional! Could you say the teacher's name in a private message?
So, getting back the the theme of the thread - Do my students want me to be a good teacher for them?
My answer is negative. They do not do homework, they are late for classes, they often miss classes.
Why should I want to be a good teacher for them? It's boring for me to work with those who do not care and resist.
I wish somebody here would give me advice or disagree!

AsyaDate: Wednesday, 18.05.2011, 07:59 | Message # 36
Union committee president
Awards: 6
Quote (Teacher)
This is a bad misconception! If we want school pupils to study, we have one main thing to rely on - getting students' brains to work

I suppose my answer was a bit misleading. When saying "reassured" I don't mean that school teachers must teach morals or give advice, I mean that teachers have to do something to reassure his/her pupils that the subject is boring or unworthy. I just wanted to say that at school something must be done if a pupil doesn't want to study, and when one is getting higher education, nobody will be interested in his/her motivation. If you are not interested, you'd better leave.

As for Your last message, Teacher, I'm awfully sorry to admit that I have no arguments to argue with you. I don't know whether it will sound convincing but I'll try to, at least. Of course, home assignments are extremely important. But if your students don't do them, it doesn't show their disrespect or their being uninterested in studying English. Your home assignments require much more time and brain work than the ones of other teachers. That's why we sometimes don't do all the tasks or fail to do them on time. I understand that it's only our fault and we do know your attitude to it. But, please, don't think we've lost our interest ito English and don't want any further development. That's really not so.

Former-TeacherDate: Wednesday, 18.05.2011, 08:57 | Message # 37
Dean
Quote (Asya)
But if your students don't do them, it doesn't show their disrespect or their being uninterested in studying English. Your home assignments require much more time and brain work than the ones of other teachers.

That's exactly what I meant. Quality teaching is not needed because any quality teaching and learning require time. I'm not talking about your interest in English or respect to me! It doesn't matter at all! You have chosen your own way to achieve professional targets. These ways do not include your teacher! I want you to understand me correctly - I don't have anything personal against your personalities! You have the RIGHT to require less complicated tasks given by

Quote (Asya)
other teachers.
But I don't have the right to lower quality. I can only witness and grade. I have the right to seek for new clients who need and desire to go ahead, no, to run ahead INSATIABLY! I also want to run ahead!

P.S. 1: Yesterday, I had a class with the group! Three were missing! The seven others showed poor quality of their professional skills -bad English (grammar, pronunciation), shallow thinking, no language discipline! This is what I do not respect!
P.S. 2: Your homework is always timed and well structured! On average it takes about 30-40 minutes a day, multiplied by six = 180-240 minutes a week, enough to meet the standards but not to improve!

MissJaneDate: Thursday, 02.06.2011, 22:39 | Message # 38
Union organizer
Group: Friends
Awards: 3
Quote (Teacher)
the right to seek for new clients who need and desire to go ahead, no, to run ahead INSATIABLY!

That means we are not the clients who go ahead (leave alone running ahead) and that is true. I feel a sort of stagnation in my personal learning process and I am well aware of the reasons (I won't tell you about them - that's not the topic).

So I tend to rely on several principles when speaking about good/bad teachers:
* a good teacher never asks his students what they want and what they do not;
* a good teacher should be a 'source of infection' - he manages to plant a seed of curiosity into his students' minds (I always remember the lines from a pop song: "There's no affection - only infection");
* a good teacher will never judge personalities - only the results of the learning process;
* a good teacher will never want his students to consider him a God;
* a good teacher keeps the distance - no familiarity, no abuse, no flattery.

P.S. I am sorry for using 'he' and 'his' all the time. No inkling. I just wanted to emphasize that for me the word ' teacher' possesses a lot more male connotation.

lovefootball)Date: Saturday, 26.11.2011, 19:42 | Message # 39
Dean
Agree with you on the point of keeping a certain distance. I'm not sure about its scale but there's one thing that is done for me - I stick to the opinion that it's family and not school that creates a moral foundation of a child. I mean it's unacceptable for me when a teacher tries to impose his own views on some subject on his students. Ough! I was always driven mad by that at school. Moralizing discourages people.

Former-TeacherDate: Sunday, 27.11.2011, 22:59 | Message # 40
Dean
A teacher is always there to give knwoledge and teach things. A teacher worlks to make his/her pupil work and grow. When I work in class, I never care whether I am good or bad because a lesson is a time period in which my student lives, and these moments should bring sense and make 'dreams' come true. When my teaching is over, I want my students to get the best and create more! When my students don't work, I hate to feel that I'm useless.

ZuzuDate: Monday, 28.11.2011, 18:06 | Message # 41
Monitor
Awards: 0
To err is human, you know. Teachers are also human. Of course, they must be competent. But when they make some mistakes, we, students, should forgive them just correcting their mistakes politely. Everybody studies all life long.It's not a shame at all to be mistaken, it is a shame to make the same mistakes. smile

lovefootball)Date: Monday, 28.11.2011, 20:55 | Message # 42
Dean
Agree! The point is that children are cruel, it's really true. If a victim is chosen, they will stop at nothing. It concerns Uni as well but in a less degree I suppose. I heard absolutely disgusting stories about threatening and almost hunting teachers with an axe! It passes understanding! Oh, another form is pretending to commit a suicide... As for "milder" variants, I remember some protest actions, for instance, keeping silent when you're asked and such like things. The question is whether praised humanism is relevant in such cases.

SamsikDate: Monday, 28.05.2012, 11:57 | Message # 43
Monitor
What Makes a Great Teacher?

For years, the secrets to great teaching have seemed more like alchemy than science, a mix of motivational mumbo jumbo and misty-eyed tales of inspiration and dedication. But for more than a decade, one organization has been tracking hundreds of thousands of kids, and looking at why some teachers can move them three grade levels ahead in a year and others can’t. Now, as the Obama administration offers states more than $4 billion to identify and cultivate effective teachers, Teach for America is ready to release its data.

strawberryDate: Monday, 10.09.2012, 11:48 | Message # 44
Monitor
our university teaches us to be a teacher, but every student choose the own way. I think a good teacher should be honest first of all. A good teacher should be able to learn something from his/her students. A good teacher should respect each student as an individual. A good teacher should be patient and flexible.A good teacher should be tolerant and so on

Forum » UNIVERSITY LIFE » Our Voice for your Choice » To be or not to be a Good Teacher
  • Page 3 of 3
  • «
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024