THE WORLD OF ENGLISH Friday, 29.03.2024, 09:26
Welcome Guest | RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: Teacher  
Forum » MISCELLANEOUS - LIFE AS IT IS » Hunting for Life » Hunting for Food vs Hunting for Entertainment
Hunting for Food vs Hunting for Entertainment
Former-TeacherDate: Thursday, 09.12.2010, 09:40 | Message # 1
Dean
Group: Admins
Awards: 2
Hunting is a inborn physical instinct. Many life processes can be viewed through the idea. The survival of the fittest.
Hunting has a gene in the human genetic code. It can never be removed. It must never be removed.
Humans hunt to get food. Humans hunt to get fun. Humans are keen on hunting. They do it in a variety of ways, so natural and simple, yet so sophisticated and sinister at times:(
Does this instinct have a right to exist? Must it be removed or substituted? Must it be conditioned or set free?

NekavaenDate: Tuesday, 14.12.2010, 01:06 | Message # 2
Head teacher
Group: Users
Awards: 1
Even nowadays we can find cultures of humans who entirely depend on nature and can’t survive without hunting physically. Moreover, according to ancient traditions and specific religious views hunting is a sacred ritual for them. They devote it to gods. Men must hunt to prove themselves worthy to be called warriors.

But we, people who live in modern industrial countries, hunt just for pleasure. I can’t say exactly if it’s bad or not.

On the one hand, hunting presupposes chasing and killing leaving creatures. Of course, it’s not normal to do it for fun. Humans have already invented a great number of possible alternatives to this cruelty.
What about hunting with a camera gun? No harm to the animal - nice pictures in your pocket! People can also play paintball and hunt each other in a funny and peaceful way.

But on the other hand, it’s a part of our nature to be hunters, to behave like masters of this world. Most of us eat meat products, wear leaver and furs, etc. Somebody does all the “dirty work” for us. But we’re all, in fact, indirectly involved in hunting and killing wild (and, of course, domestic) animals even if we don’t think about it everyday life.

No doubt, hunting is a very cruel “hobby”. Still there are situations when we must forget about mercy. For example, when a wild animal attacks people who don’t touch and provoke it. Remember the sharks in Egypt – they must be killed!

To my mind, those who dare become hunters must have a certain code of honour and follow it strictly. If you want to kill an animal, do it fast. It’s bad to hunt and slay endangered species. It’s shameful and meanly to kill pregnant females and cubs.

It is not human to be without shame and without desire. (Ursula K. Le Guin)

AyayuliaDate: Sunday, 19.12.2010, 22:28 | Message # 3
Union organizer
Group: Friends
If you want to hunt you should have a license for it. Moreover you can kill only those animals that are allowed to be killed, the quantity is limited and you can do it in pa particular season. The process of hunting is very complex. You can’t just take up your weapon, go to a nearest forest and start hunting! Hunting is allowed only in Wildlife service and you should observe very strict rules.

8davids8Date: Monday, 20.12.2010, 11:11 | Message # 4
Union organizer
Group: Admins
Hunting is an inborn instinct, and this is why many people, especially men are so keen on it. It works at the genetic level. All the passion towards hunting comes from those old times when people killed animals for food.
If you know something about hunting in Russia, you'll agree that more than 50% of hunters do it for pure passion, and for getting drunk as well, but we wouldn't judge them for that, because all of us are all the same. Hunting with dogs is regarded more proffesional, and without them is usually seen by some as dilenttantism. Still hunting is a hobby that excites one's mind and each time it is different. There's nothing better than feeling succes when you kill a bird. Then you need more, you hunt for hares, foxes, and small game. Then you proceed to deer, boars or elks. Actually that brings tonnes of joy, because to kill a 300-kg beast means something, it changes your mentality as well. For me it always seems violent when I see people ruthlessly killing huge animals. But stil if I were them, I'd do the same and forget about my pity. This is a hunting feeling, which fills men's life with sense.
Nowadays we have a common concept that those who hunt alone and with dogs, and without alcohol, are true hunters. They usually take their retriever, setter or pointer, any gudog they have early in morning to set off to the forest somewhere in the region, or to swamps, or lakes, or rivers. They train their dogs from the early age. Each time they hunt they rejoice to the nature. They hunt in the morning praising the dog for its achievemnets, and in the heat of the noon, sit somewhere under a tree, eating and watching the creek purling. They never pretend to huge game, they need just gamebird. Those are hunters that are rare now in Russia. Though there are certain reasons for that.
To end with I should comment on the question about confining this insticnt. I think it's just impossibe. We should give freedom to our instincts, limiting them is not the way out. Blood-thirst and hunting instinct are different things, we shouldn't mix them up.

lovefootball)Date: Monday, 20.12.2010, 20:47 | Message # 5
Dean
Awards: 3
We all agree that it's an instict. But our ancestors also used to live in tribes and so on....do you understand what I'm hinting at? I guess it's the simpliest thing to refer to our instincts and wash hands. I'm not blaming anyone, I just think that if we claim to be civilized, modern and humane, we should leave behind some survivals of times past.

NekavaenDate: Tuesday, 21.12.2010, 00:21 | Message # 6
Head teacher
8davids8, I liked your message very much! A very detailed and informative answer! These are words of a real man!

Yes, it’s a pity that not all people who are eager to hunt know how to do it properly. I’m sure that in order to become a true hunter one should train a lot. It’s not easy to learn to use a gun or a bow properly, to breed a good hunting dog, to understand habits and behaviour of your future preys well.

I also think it’s impossible to eliminate hunting. People, especially males, can’t do without it, I’m sure. But we should avoid hunting animals that are becoming extinct and try to protect them more effectively.

Lovefootball), I think the times when people lived in tribes were not so bad… Our ancestors were strong and healthy; life was simple and unpredictable… No hometasks…
smile

lovefootball)Date: Tuesday, 21.12.2010, 19:01 | Message # 7
Dean
That's a paradox but you're right to some extent! But let's be honest, does anyone want those times to be back? I doubt the fact, to tell the truth. Though absolutely everyone is dissatisfied with something, I can't imagine us living in the tribe and hunting) I'm not being haughty, I just think we wouldn't be able to survive.

NekavaenDate: Monday, 27.12.2010, 00:15 | Message # 8
Head teacher
Yes, you are right. I also think that not many people would agree to leave comfortable and easy life with modern conveniences and move to the forest, to snowy mountains or uninhabited islands. You know, I often dream of it but… I’m not sure I will be able to spend the rest of my life far from noisy and dusty cities.

But I personally would be glad to take part in a little experiment! I think it would be interesting to spend a month or two without computers, mobile phones, genetically modified food and try to survive in natural conditions. Of course, I understand I’ll have to get food by hunting and fishing. Yes, gathering mushrooms and berries is also possible but I don’t believe I’ll stay strong, healthy and mentally alert without meat and fish, especially fish.

Many people say: “I can do no harm to a living creature. Hunting is cruel. I’ll never kill an animal” But I’m sure that if almost everybody is in a hopeless situation and needs nourishing food to keep strength up or to feed a person he or she appreciates (a baby, for example!), all these phrases will be forgotten. The same will happen if an aggressive wild animal threatens somebody’s life and this person has a weapon and knows how to use it.

lovefootball)Date: Thursday, 21.07.2011, 11:35 | Message # 9
Dean
Wow, as I see you're a perfect candidate for some new TV show)))))))) I don't have any doubts about your firmness and adventurism but speaking generally I feel there's something unnatural in such a desire. I mean it hints at the lack of fullness and content in one's everyday life. But maybe such a backout is what our civilization needs badly...I don't support the idea completely but it's brilliantly shown in the film "The Fight Club". Undisguised emotions, brute impulses, new philosophy - all that look fresh and non-trivial but whether it really works or not is another pair of shoes.

AmarantaDate: Thursday, 19.04.2012, 16:47 | Message # 10
Monitor
Awards: 0
AS for me, I agree with the idea that hunting is an inborn physical instinct. Living in a modern society, we continue hunting. Every day we hunt for a new job, for a beautiful dress in a sale, for a place in the parking. We have to live in competition. I consider it absolutely normal. We live in a society and a person who lives in it can`t be free from it.

ArchieDate: Sunday, 23.09.2012, 22:39 | Message # 11
Monitor
Hunting for food is normal, hunting for entertainment is a bad thing and must be punished. There's nothing more to talk about.

PashkaaDate: Sunday, 30.12.2012, 15:05 | Message # 12
Union organizer
Group: Reliable
I don't respect people who hunt for fun, it's awful. But hunting for food is natural and necessary. I don't understand vegetarians.

Johnny_BravoDate: Saturday, 05.01.2013, 23:36 | Message # 13
Union organizer
(Pashkaa)
I don't respect people who hunt for fun, it's awful. But hunting for food is natural and necessary. I don't understand vegetarians.

Why do you think that hunting for fun is awful? It is our instinct such as sleeping or eating

PashkaaDate: Sunday, 06.01.2013, 20:32 | Message # 14
Union organizer
Group: Reliable
(Johnny_Bravo)

Why do you think that hunting for fun is awful? It is our instinct such as sleeping or eating

Not for me. I think it's cruel.

FoxyTDate: Tuesday, 12.03.2013, 15:15 | Message # 15
Union committee president
Group: Moders
Quote (Pashkaa)
I don't understand vegetarians.

Why do you not understand people like me?)) We also eat food)

Forum » MISCELLANEOUS - LIFE AS IT IS » Hunting for Life » Hunting for Food vs Hunting for Entertainment
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024