THE WORLD OF ENGLISH Friday, 19.04.2024, 10:56
Welcome Guest | RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: Rina  
Forum » JAPANESE WORLD - OVER THERE BUT SO CLOSE » Japanese Literature » Japanese literature
Japanese literature
RinaDate: Sunday, 08.05.2011, 00:41 | Message # 1
Union committee president
Group: Friends
Awards: 4
Do you read Japanese literature? I guess that everybody has at least heard about Ryū Murakami, Haruki Murakami and Banana Yoshimoto. May be you've read some of their books? Did you like them? What other Japanese writers do you know? Can you recommend any books?

AsyaDate: Sunday, 08.05.2011, 10:04 | Message # 2
Group: Moders
Awards: 6
yes, of course! You know I'm fond of reading Banana Yoshimoto. But have I told you about Kyoko Mori?
She is an American writer of Japanese origin. So, she writes about the Japanese culture, but in English. Unfortunately, I can't find the books in the original but I've read two of them in Russian. They are about teenagers and, I tend to think, for teenagers. They teach to love, to make friends and to withstand the calamities of life. If I haven't given "Shizuko's daughter" to you yet, you're welcome!

RinaDate: Sunday, 08.05.2011, 22:45 | Message # 3
Group: Friends
Awards: 4
Quote (Asya)
But have I told you about Kyoko Mori?

No, you haven't. Shame on me, I've never heard about her before. Hm... Sounds intriguing... I guess, I'd like to read this book, but a little bit later. Now I'm obsessed about another writer of Japanese origin - it's a British writer Kazuo Ishiguro. I've told you about his "Never let me go" and now his "The Remains of the Day" is waiting for me. if you are interested, it'll be waiting for you too biggrin

Btw, as for Kyoko Mori... What about the style of narrating? Is it something that reminds you of Banana Yoshimoto? Or may be the story isn't so subtle and tender, but witty and biting?

AsyaDate: Monday, 09.05.2011, 12:40 | Message # 4
Kazuo Ishiguro - yeah, I remember. As you know, I'm absorbed into reading Frei's works now))
Kyoko Mori doesn't remind of Banana Yoshimoto at all. No mystics, no riddles, no ghosts. The only similarity I can single out is the fact that her characters are also orphans. But the stories by Mori are more true-to-life. That's why they're even more touching.

VasilisaDate: Tuesday, 10.04.2012, 01:00 | Message # 5
Monitor
Group: Users
Awards: 0
When I was at school i read books of Haruki Murakami. One them was called Kafka on the Shore. Just a legend about a teenager and an old man. Reality is observed from different points of view. Sick ideas, awful creatures dwelling in our subconsciousness and trying to reach the reality, concealed thoughts and past which don't let people to sleep at nights. And all this leads to kindness and sympathy. All that seems to be too complicated turnes out very simple.
And in additional i would like to tell a few words about Ryū Murakami. I've read two his books: "In the Miso Soup " and "Melancholia". Sex, drugs, bloodshed, perverted actions and cruel murders. To my mind these books may be a maniac's reference books. After reading them i felt only disgust.

Message edited by Vasilisa - Tuesday, 10.04.2012, 01:01

vanillaDate: Friday, 25.05.2012, 02:08 | Message # 6
Monitor
Japanese Literature can be divided into four main periods: ancient, classical, medieval and modern. As for the classical japanese literature, it generally refers to literature produced during the Heian period, referred to as the golden era of art and literature. Genji Monogatari (early 11th century) by a woman named Murasaki Shikibu is considered the pre-eminent masterpiece of Heian fiction and an early example of a work of fiction in the form of a novel. Other important writings of this period include the Kokin Wakashū (905), a waka-poetry anthology, and Makura no Sōshi (990s), the latter written by Murasaki Shikibu's contemporary and rival, Sei Shōnagon, as an essay about the life, loves, and pastimes of nobles in the Emperor's court. The iroha poem, now one of two standard orderings for the Japanese syllabary, was also developed during the early part of this period.

Message edited by vanilla - Friday, 25.05.2012, 02:08

AriesDate: Saturday, 29.12.2012, 09:05 | Message # 7
Union organizer
(Asya)
You know I'm fond of reading Banana Yoshimoto

Is it interesting?

PerilovaDate: Sunday, 31.03.2013, 21:35 | Message # 8
Head teacher
Group: Reliable
Quote (Rina)
I guess that everybody has at least heard about Ryū Murakami, Haruki Murakami and Banana Yoshimoto.

I like to read Haruki Murakami. His books are rather interesting. Most of all, i enjoy "Norwegian Wood". Also i've read "Hear the Wind Sing". Can you advise me something else ?

AsyaDate: Sunday, 31.03.2013, 23:41 | Message # 9
Aries, yes, as I've said, Banana Yoshimoto is one of my favourite writers and I've read all her books that are translated into Russian. If you're really interested, I could give you some of them to read (I have the whole collection at home). But I'll be in Ryazan only in summer. So, if you want to borrow something, I'll be happy to share. happy

Forum » JAPANESE WORLD - OVER THERE BUT SO CLOSE » Japanese Literature » Japanese literature
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024