THE WORLD OF ENGLISH Monday, 06.05.2024, 05:03
Welcome Guest | RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: MissJane  
Forum » JAPANESE WORLD - OVER THERE BUT SO CLOSE » Japanese Dressing Styles - Routine or Code » Indoor Shoe Etiquette (A few words about shoes...)
Indoor Shoe Etiquette
NekavaenDate: Saturday, 18.12.2010, 00:49 | Message # 1
Head teacher
Group: Users
Awards: 1
There is a tradition in Japan to take off shoes when entering the house. There is a special area just inside the front door where shoes are removed. It’s called “genkan”.

After taking their shoes off, Japanese people usually put on slippers. It’s done in order to prevent socks from getting dirty and feet – from getting cold. However, it’s forbidden to enter a traditional Japanese tatami room in slippers. But socks and bare feet are welcome!

A fact that’s really amazing: in some Japanese houses you will be asked to use a special pair of slippers when visiting a bathroom. A person should remove home slippers and put on bathroom ones. There is only one pair of them and it’s used by all hosts and guests. A visitor should not forget to put home slippers back on. If he or she doesn’t do it, he or she’ll get into a very confusing situation. Japanese hosts will be nearly shocked and consider the foreigner to be impolite and absolutely careless.

It’s also normal and customary to remove shoes when entering shrines and temples, traditional inns and hot springs resorts.

It is not human to be without shame and without desire. (Ursula K. Le Guin)

RinaDate: Saturday, 18.12.2010, 01:04 | Message # 2
Union committee president
Group: Friends
Awards: 4
Yes, I have heard about these traditions. And, may be I'm mistaken, but... is there a tradition that coats and other outerwear should be taken off outdoors, before entering the house?

TomatVSMushiDate: Saturday, 18.12.2010, 13:10 | Message # 3
Student
Rina, I believe there is no such tradition as taking off your outwear. The tradition about putting off one's shows is connected to the tatami - small straw rugs put together - if you walk on them in shoes it might damage the rug not to mention it will be hard to clean it afterword. And the cost of tatami is very high.

NekavaenDate: Sunday, 19.12.2010, 00:18 | Message # 4
Head teacher
Rina, I've never heard about such a tradition either! What makes you think so? Maybe, you remember an episode from a Japanese movie or cartoon, or somebody told you it's right...

It is not human to be without shame and without desire. (Ursula K. Le Guin)

RinaDate: Tuesday, 15.03.2011, 19:36 | Message # 5
Union committee president
Group: Friends
Awards: 4
Quote (TomatVSMushi)
Rina, I believe there is no such tradition as taking off your outwear.
Quote (Nekavaen)
Rina, I've never heard about such a tradition either! What makes you think so? Maybe, you remember an episode from a Japanese movie or cartoon, or somebody told you it's right...

Well, actually I wasn't sure that this tradition exists, 'cos I came across this “fact” while surfing the Inet, and, as far as it was not a reliable source, and I decided to check the info. So, thanks for your answers))))

vanillaDate: Tuesday, 18.09.2012, 23:10 | Message # 6
Monitor
Awards: 0
Remember that any Japanese people around will be happy to help you and also likely be impressed by you already knowing how to put your best foot forward in a Japanese way)

AriesDate: Saturday, 29.12.2012, 09:29 | Message # 7
Union organizer
Awards: 0
(Nekavaen)
There is a tradition in Japan to take off shoes when entering the house. There is a special area just inside the front door where shoes are removed. It’s called “genkan”.

Tell me about this tradition more?

Forum » JAPANESE WORLD - OVER THERE BUT SO CLOSE » Japanese Dressing Styles - Routine or Code » Indoor Shoe Etiquette (A few words about shoes...)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024