THE WORLD OF ENGLISH Thursday, 02.05.2024, 23:32
Welcome Guest | RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: Seagull  
Forum » MISCELLANEOUS - LIFE AS IT IS » Technologies and Science » The Science of Water - Hydrology (Does the civilization progress?)
The Science of Water - Hydrology
Former-TeacherDate: Saturday, 12.02.2011, 09:48 | Message # 1
Dean
Group: Admins
Awards: 2
The topic about water structures raised in the music forum is really very captivating and unusual. The thing is that we do not know much of it or, rather, only those things that are related to our everyday material world - rain, washing, snow, water cycles, etc. If you really want to know more about water and share this knowledge with others, please use this forum. Logically, it can be a good research project.

lovefootball)Date: Saturday, 12.02.2011, 21:03 | Message # 2
Dean
Group: Users
Awards: 3
I've found some interesting and disputable suppositions:
1. Water structure is much more important than its chemical constitution and it responds to any stimulation.
2.Water can imprint and keep information (thanks to its structure again).
3.There exists "water energetics": our positive emotions raise its level and aggression lowers it. (We've already mentioned that before.)

LuckDate: Sunday, 13.02.2011, 19:59 | Message # 3
Union organizer
Group: Friends
Awards: 5
I have never believed that water can really imprint and keep some information: whether positive or negative. And all those tricks with holy water or spelled water always seemed to me like a simple delusion. People tend to believe in many things. And just imagine a person who stands at death's door and who desperately tries to do at least something to live one more month. And how often we read in newspapers or watch on TV that this or that woman can heal anyone with the help of her magic ball, "holy" water and things like that. And people believe! And go! And drink! And the most paradoxical thing is that sometimes they really start feeling better! But why? Is it because of some super energy that water can keep in itself? I don't think so, I tend to believe that people just CAN convince themselves. So probably they drink water that doesn't "contain" any information at all.
But on the other hand, I've also watched a great amount of some BBC programmes and it is really proved that water can "attract" good and bad things, so maybe one day people learn how to use this ability of water and we will be able to do great thing with the help of it.

lovefootball)Date: Monday, 14.02.2011, 21:04 | Message # 4
Dean
Why don't you believe in holy water? I think such a time-tested thing is worth it. Besides, it's better not to mix up religious and scientific matters. As far as pseudo-healers are concerned, I can say that they just play upon people's heart-strings and it's absolutely dishonest! Such charlatans can shake somebody's faith and interfere with scientific progress. Luck, I share your hopes concerning the future but I'm afraid that we shouldn't wait for any great things.I sometimes even think that it's better to be ignorant than to suffer from greed and cruelty caused by some new discovery.

NekavaenDate: Tuesday, 15.02.2011, 14:26 | Message # 5
Head teacher
Awards: 1
Water is one of the most unique substances in the Universe. Even nowadays we can’t reveal all its secrets and realize its great influence on our lives.

Many centuries ago people thought water is simple and indivisible. Only in the second half of the 18th century it became obvious that the molecules of water consist of two elements: oxygen and hydrogen (“giving birth to water”). Their combination seemed almost impossible. Unique hydrogen bonding forces and an ability to form clusters combined with distorted tetrahedral arrangement of atoms (Do you know that water is the only 3-atom substance in the world which molecules correspond to the principle of golden proportion?) had no chance to exist according to all laws of physics.

But the properties of water turned out to be even more incredible. There are certain physical characteristics that can be defined for all substances on our planet. One of them is “specific heat” (удельная теплоемкость) - a certain amount of heat that’s required for warming a unit mass of a material. The fact is that there are only two substances on our planet that have minimums for specific heat – water and mercury. And the minimum for water is around 37 degrees above zero – that’s normal temperature of human body! The usual temperatures of other warm-blooded animals vary from 32 to 39 degrees – that’s also very close to water specific heat minimum. This water peculiarity helps mammals and birds to keep their body temperatures stable and unchanged at day and at night.

Another unique water property is its maximum density at 4 degrees above zero. We know that water freezes at zero. In winter water in small ponds, lakes and rivers starts to chill. When the water on the surface freezes till 4, it goes down, because it’s heavier that the rest of the water. The same repeats again and again until the whole river or lake are filled with water of 4 degrees above zero. Now the surface starts to freeze and ice covers water. But near the bottom the temperature stays about 4 degrees all the time and it helps water creatures to survive in any frost.

Also ice is white. Ice-caps on the poles reflect sunrays and contribute to preventing our planet from overheating and protect us from epic floods.

By the way, the world ocean contains more oxygen than the atmosphere. In the years when large forest areas are destroyed by cutting down or fires, the missing amount of oxygen travels from water into air. On the contrary, when there are more oxygen molecules on the Earth than we need, the ocean saves it for the future.

Water is an ideal dissolvent. It’s bad on the one hand, because it makes all attempts to find and get pure water useless. Water will always contain infinitesimal amounts of gas, silica, ions. But on the other hand this unique property of water makes it easy for blood and lymph inside living creatures to transport all kinds of useful molecules and ions.

As we see, water is really the main source of live (due to unique physical and chemical characteristics). The cells of all living creatures contain water. But its mysterious and supernatural powers are still widely discussed.

As for me, I think it’s not randomness that in all known religions and religious systems water plays a very important role. It may be a real world incarnation of a god or goddess, a holy symbol or an irreplaceable attribute of many essential rituals.

I’ve always believed that water has an ability to receive and transmit information. After I’ve seen in the movie how water crystals react to music and words, I’m confident that the structure of water in our food, in the bodies of animals we breed and plants we grow and, of course, in our own organisms is affected by our emotions and utterances.

I was also amazed by the idea that each year the amount of natural calamities connected with water rises because we, people, become worse and swear more and more. The water becomes “dirty” and “tired” and takes revenge.

It is not human to be without shame and without desire. (Ursula K. Le Guin)

lovefootball)Date: Tuesday, 15.02.2011, 19:57 | Message # 6
Dean
That's an interesting idea! And it corresponds to the theory that the whole nature wants to revenge itself upon us. But is it really possible? Is it true that the Earth is so exhausted that it will assume some strong measures? Maybe, it sounds fantastic but I believe everything we do (and think!) doesn't vanish into thin air. It's like an investment and thus there must be some response.

NekavaenDate: Tuesday, 19.04.2011, 12:24 | Message # 7
Head teacher
Awards: 1
I wonder: why the logic of nature is so strange then? Why does it want to crash Japan? I would destroy some other country with tsunami and earthquakes if I had a chance... A country that irritates everybody and wants to control far away lands to get more and more oil... angry

It is not human to be without shame and without desire. (Ursula K. Le Guin)

Message edited by Nekavaen - Tuesday, 19.04.2011, 12:26

FoxyTDate: Wednesday, 02.01.2013, 12:03 | Message # 8
Union committee president
Group: Moders
Awards: 0
Water is my weakness. I love to swim, look at the water, especially at the sea, like winter, blizzards and rain. And I'm sure that water is able to feel and remember emotions and feelings of people who drink it or interact with it. It's a fact that the transfer of energy and feeling is real. Fluids pass particularly easy. But the man is out of the water for more than 50%, which means that water is our body. We understand our body, feel it. And why can't water do the same outside the human body? Can.

Nastay62rusDate: Tuesday, 08.01.2013, 07:17 | Message # 9
Union organizer
Awards: 0
investigates a water cycle in the nature, influence of activity of the person on it and management of a mode of water objects and a water mode of certain territories

Forum » MISCELLANEOUS - LIFE AS IT IS » Technologies and Science » The Science of Water - Hydrology (Does the civilization progress?)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024