THE WORLD OF ENGLISH Monday, 06.05.2024, 22:00
Welcome Guest | RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: Teacher  
Forum » UNIVERSITY LIFE » Global Education » Conflict (Conflict as a metaconcept)
Conflict
Former-TeacherDate: Wednesday, 02.11.2011, 11:53 | Message # 1
Dean
Group: Admins
Awards: 2
What is Conflict? In what forms can it manifest itself? What are their names? Are different forms and types of conflict negative or positive? Are they destructive or constructive? What life forces do these forms and types depend on? What conflcits do you happen to face in everyday life? What are the best strategies to avoid or deal with conflict?

TanyaDate: Wednesday, 02.11.2011, 21:58 | Message # 2
Course monitor
Group: Friends
Conflict is a word which most of us associate with pain, a great degree of discomfort, anger, frustration, sadness, depression. We can experience it almost every day in our lives. It exists in all spheres of live, at all levels of society and in all sorts of situations. It is interesting to mention that conflict has positive and negative sides. Conflict has a positive side when it can be a start of something new or an end of something that needs a conclusion. And of course the conflict means a negative side when it creates more aggression, anger, discomfort, anxiety or mental and physical stress when it promotes the war.

AsyaDate: Thursday, 03.11.2011, 10:31 | Message # 3
Union committee president
Group: Moders
Awards: 6
I've already expressed my ideas in the essays-section. So, if you're interested in them, you can follow the web-link: What Is Conflict?
You can read my essay there and leave your comments here. I'll be glad to read them and answer your questions.

TeacherDate: Wednesday, 09.11.2011, 01:52 | Message # 4
Head teacher
Awards: 0
Asya, a very interesting essay. Concerning the World Wars, I should say that in case of WWII we can speak about the interpersonal conflict that led to a worldwide one. If I'm not mistaken, you've mentioned only social conflicts. And what about the "human-nature" conflict, for example?

In Vino Veritas...

ZuzuDate: Wednesday, 09.11.2011, 12:46 | Message # 5
Monitor
Conflict plays a very important role in our life. It helps you to examine yourselves,to have it out with your relatives, friends or beloveds. It exposes inner feelings,either negative or positive towards your close people or it shows their attitude to you. I like conflict because conciliation and peace go after it. To some extent, conflict verifies people, their real nature,excellent and decent or corrupt and rotten. In this very way I get to know my friends and milieu. I quarrel with my friends,then make my peace with them,and our friendship becomes stronger. But I am speaking only about a particular case. I am not for the conflict that leads to wars. I think,there are diverse ways out to solve the problem in time of peace. So conflict can be regarded differently. It has both sides. And if it concerns the world on the whole,we must avoid the conflict.

AsyaDate: Wednesday, 09.11.2011, 16:55 | Message # 6
Awards: 6
Quote (Seagull)
Asya, a very interesting essay. Concerning the World Wars, I should say that in case of WWII we can speak about the interpersonal conflict led to a worldwide one. If I'm not mistaken you've mentioned only social conflicts. And what about the "human-nature" conflict for example?

First of all, thanks!!!
Secondly, yeah, you're right. I've really touched upon social conflicts. Of course, you're right. There are many more types of conflicts than I've described. But I've mentioned that when describing a concept I can't remain objective. That's why I've dealt only with the very ones.
As for Hitler, it's already kinda another problem. The problem of the historical figure.

LuckDate: Wednesday, 09.11.2011, 21:56 | Message # 7
Union organizer
Awards: 5
Conflict is always a result of some quarrel or misunderstanding. So I think that we can regard that Hitler-topic as one of the conflicts as well. Conflict always presupposes someone who “attacks” and someone who “defends”, in a direct and figurative meaning.

RinaDate: Thursday, 10.11.2011, 00:19 | Message # 8
Awards: 4
Quote (Luck)
Conflict always presupposes someone who “attacks” and someone who “defends”, in a direct and figurative meaning.

Sometimes we come across conflicts where both participants tend to "attack". Are they both defending then? And can we regard the situation where someone "attacks" and another one even doesn't try to defend himself, suffering from this attack, as a conflict?

TeacherDate: Thursday, 10.11.2011, 01:49 | Message # 9
Head teacher
Rina, Luck, the same thought came into my mind. We really face such situations where both sides "attack" each other. On the one hand we can't say, that they defend themselves, because they attack. smile But on the other hand it's a well-known fact, that the best way of defence is attack.
Quote (Rina)
And can we regard the situation where someone "attacks" and another one even doesn't try to defend himself, suffering from this attack, as a conflict?

We can call this situation "conflict avoidance". This is not a conflict, this is just a kind of agression. In such situations a person avoiding the conflict shows submission that is also leads us to the ideas of the Orthodox Church.

In Vino Veritas...

MegastarostaDate: Wednesday, 07.12.2011, 21:06 | Message # 10
Union organizer
Conflict is a scandal situation between two or more persons. Sometimes it cant bring you any harm, for example when you quarrel with you parents because you came home too late. But sometimes a conflict may be the beginning of the war or some other terroristic acts. In this case we speak about exposure, death, human’s tragedies.

lovefootball)Date: Friday, 16.12.2011, 21:22 | Message # 11
Dean
Group: Users
Awards: 3
Well, I think a conflict can't simply pass without leaving something behind: from offence and irritation to broken hearts, tears or even hatred and hostility. Oh, still it's important not to let out revenge which is lying low inside of us until the time comes... By the way, we shouldn't forget about conflicts for good, I mean when relations among people are outwardly normal but eveyone feels that tension is growing. In this case a properly stimulated collision may help to have it out with your friends, relatives or colleagues and thus balance the situation.

MissJaneDate: Saturday, 24.12.2011, 22:59 | Message # 12
Union organizer
Quote (lovefootball))
when relations among people are outwardly normal but eveyone feels that tension is growing

Conflict is always beneficial when the tension lasts too long and embitters the life of the disputants. Conflict serves as the de-electrifying to the strained atmosphere. In fact, it is disgustful to ignore the conflict and to pretend you don't detect the maturing warfare. Sometimes people try to keep the relations alive though deep inside they know they hate each other. So conflict avoidance and conflict preventing are not the same. If you avoid the problem, you only aggravate it. Pretence poisons life and confounds hopes.

lovefootball)Date: Friday, 13.01.2012, 21:22 | Message # 13
Dean
H'mm, for me the boundary is very subtle. What I have written is pure theory and we shouldn't apply it to all cases. I often prefer to keep neutral and non-committal terms with people I have to coexist with rather than show aggression or discontent (of course if the situation is not being critical when it's necessary to defend yourself). The same concerns quarrels, I mean it's better to keep silent when others are arguing...))

SamsikDate: Monday, 28.05.2012, 11:54 | Message # 14
Monitor
We define conflict as a disagreement through which the parties involved perceive a threat to their needs, interests or concerns. Within this simple definition there are several important understandings that emerge:
Disagreement - Generally, we are aware there is some level of difference in the positions of the two (or more) parties involved in the conflict. But the true disagreement versus the perceived disagreement may be quite different from one another. In fact, conflict tends to be accompanied by significant levels of misunderstanding that exaggerate the perceived disagreement considerably. If we can understand the true areas of disagreement, this will help us solve the right problems and manage the true needs of the parties.

strawberryDate: Monday, 17.09.2012, 10:57 | Message # 15
Monitor
what about a conflict in the story...Dramatic conflict is an absolute necessity in any form of storytelling. It posits the challenges and obstacles which the principal characters must confront, and details the means by which they overcome them. Without conflict nothing would happen. More importantly, without conflict, the characters themselves would not grow or change. Not only does conflict thus make for good storytelling, but it helps stories mirror the human condition, by which all of us grow and change as we move through life.

Forum » UNIVERSITY LIFE » Global Education » Conflict (Conflict as a metaconcept)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024