THE WORLD OF ENGLISH Tuesday, 07.05.2024, 02:47
Welcome Guest | RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: Teacher  
Forum » UNIVERSITY LIFE » Global Education » Threat, Danger, Risk (Do they give zest to our life?)
Threat, Danger, Risk
MissJaneDate: Wednesday, 07.12.2011, 20:58 | Message # 1
Union organizer
Group: Friends
Awards: 3
It is natural to avoid danger and to prevent threat. But it is inborn and vital to expose oneself to risk and feel put under threat or dangerous circumstances. Lots of people go in for extreme sports and get enormous pleasure from it. Some join the army or participate in war operations on purpose so as to get a good portion of adrenaline to one’s blood. Milliards of people enjoy the speed that is why car racing draws many adventure-seekers. A person who goes in for sports is likely to show the power of the body and will. Struggling against the contestants a sportsman senses threat which causes aggression and persistence. However, some people are willing to move off from reality looking for the supernatural. Everything that we do not know or cannot explain brings about the feeling of danger. And as we enjoy running hazards, we perform uncanny rites to touch the supernatural.

AsyaDate: Wednesday, 07.12.2011, 21:39 | Message # 2
Union committee president
Group: Moders
Awards: 6
Threat, menace, risk, hazard, danger- there are so many synonyms in the English language to denote the physical state of adrenaline outburst. Moreover, there are certain idiomatic, or set expressions, like "dance on the razor's edge", "play with fire", "take the bear by the tooth", "cat ice", "snake in the grass" and "the sword of Damocles". Doesn't it all prove then that we undergo risk quite often? To my mind, such a variety of lexical means used to describe approximately one and the same physical and emotional state hints us at the fact that
Quote (MissJane)
it is inborn and vital to expose oneself to risk and feel put under threat or dangerous circumstances

MissJaneDate: Wednesday, 07.12.2011, 22:20 | Message # 3
Union organizer
Yes, that's true to the full extent. Conceptually, risk has many definitions but all of them include the notion ‘danger’. Risk is the possibility that something harmful or undesirable may happen. As our life cannot be fully predicted, we all are at risk of turning out to be in a less advantageous position; of developing a lethal disease; or going bankrupt. These possibilities form the basis of our endeavours to improve the quality of life. Risk is also a situation that exposes us to danger and makes us try to extricate ourselves from it. Since the decision to take risks involves the assumptions of being in the long term destroyed by the dangerous circumstances, it is risk that moves us towards the better. It forces us to explore the ways to secure the present and to invent the methods to ensure the future security. So it is evident that risk is tightly connected with personal safety and personal development. And we can’t state for sure that risk presupposes only negative consequences. Risk can be constructive if a person is able to foresee and draw conclusions.

AsyaDate: Wednesday, 07.12.2011, 23:15 | Message # 4
Group: Moders
Awards: 6
Quote (MissJane)
As our life cannot be fully predicted, we all are at risk of turning out to be in a less advantageous position; of developing a lethal disease; or going bankrupt.

I suppose that there are so many risky situations and situations of the impending danger that we don't even notice such a variety of threats. If we did, we would go crazy! Riding in cars, flying by plane, being struck buy a lightening, being attacked by terrorists and what not. If we were ALWAYS paying attention to it, our life would be life and boring. And we would be afraid of everything. And we would never experience all the advantages of modern technology as computers and mobile phones (radiation is harmful, you know biggrin ).
So, risks are an integral part of our life. They do not only harm us, we benefit from them as well.

RinaDate: Thursday, 08.12.2011, 01:24 | Message # 5
Awards: 4
Quote (Asya)
I suppose that there are so many risky situations and situations of the impending danger that we don't even notice such a variety of threats.

Actually this "risk-perception" (let me use this "term") differs from person to person. Some people can always be afraid of certain approaching danger, others ignore even obvious threads. What does it depend on? May be it's somehow connected with one's stress-resistance and impressionability? Or may be this "risk-perception" depends on one's temperament? Or may be even on one's personal experience? What do you think?

TeacherDate: Thursday, 08.12.2011, 11:05 | Message # 6
Head teacher
Group: Admins
Awards: 0
Quote (Rina)
What does it depend on? May be it's somehow connected with one's stress-resistance and impressionability? Or may be this "risk-perception" depends on one's temperament? Or may be even on one's personal experience? What do you think?

I think risk-perception can be connected with the self-preservative instinct. The stronger this instinct is, the less risky we are. Risk always causes some threat or danger. Every person should ask him/herself whether it's necessary for him/her to take hazards or not. Almost always it's possbile to avoid risk in order not to put in jeopardy one's personal safety.

In Vino Veritas...

LuckDate: Thursday, 08.12.2011, 23:35 | Message # 7
Union organizer
Awards: 5
But don't you think that risk makes our life so eventful? Is not it better sometimes to risk than to just sit and wait for a miracle to happen?

AyayuliaDate: Monday, 12.12.2011, 10:45 | Message # 8
Union organizer
Awards: 2
The feeling of danger is the necessity. It trains our heart and straightens the whole body. Of course people have a self-preservation instinct that keeps them in so-to-say frameworks, but balancing on the edge of permitted is great. When you are a child you are really afraid of darkness because it is something unknown and unexplored, but think of how you hid in a dark passage with your friends and told bogeyman stories. The more risks you run, he more you need. The level of risk-perception goes down.

lovefootball)Date: Thursday, 15.12.2011, 18:49 | Message # 9
Dean
Group: Users
H'm, I'm not sure...On the contrary I always try to avoid any risk by all means possible. I'm an overprotecting person and I never seek this very adrenalin that has already become a byword) Do we really need it so badly? Maybe it's just a kind of fashion, another wrinkle? As for children...I think it's curiosity which is an indispensable part of one's growing.

MissJaneDate: Saturday, 24.12.2011, 23:09 | Message # 10
Union organizer
Runing risks is a strong drug. The more you get, the more you want. I'm not of the opinion that
Quote (Ayayulia)
the level of risk-perception goes down
but it turns out to be an addiction. I can't forget a thing from my childhood when we used to knock on a man's door and run away till he opened it and gave damns and curses. The case was that this man was insane and one day he immediately threw open the front door and rushed with an axe in his hand. He was old and couldn't reach us but it was scary as I was the last to run away. I often tell this story to show that the accident didn't break of the habit. In fact, it encouraged us once more to knock on his door but nobody opened as he was drunk...So we got bored, but the adrenaline we had had inspired us to try new pranks.

TanyaDate: Monday, 26.12.2011, 11:25 | Message # 11
Course monitor
Awards: 2
Risk, threat and danger are the integral parts of our life. Risk is a key component in exploiting and understanding our identity. And I suppose everyone has been in, seen or heard of risky or dangerous situations. Of the many risky behaviors in which our society tends to participate the following are probably the most common. These are smoking, drinking, unsafe driving, and drug abuse.

lovefootball)Date: Thursday, 29.03.2012, 20:50 | Message # 12
Dean
Group: Users
I doubt the fact thatthe above mentioned things are risky...Actuall why? This is absolutely conscious infliction of harm or, if it doesn't take abnormal forms (I mean drinking and smoking just because drug abuse speaks for itself), it can be called one's bad habit or little weakness. Stil maybe it's my perception only. The point is that for me risk presupposes something more unpredictable.

Forum » UNIVERSITY LIFE » Global Education » Threat, Danger, Risk (Do they give zest to our life?)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024