• Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: Teacher  
Forum » UNIVERSITY LIFE » Global Education » Evolution
Evolution
LuckDate: Thursday, 22.12.2011, 22:07 | Message # 1
Union organizer
Group: Friends
Awards: 5
I believe that the concept of evolution presupposes any kind of development - from something simple into something more complex. When we think about this notion the first example that comes to our mind is evolution of biological species. But I tend to believe that we can refer this notion to any development that happens in our society. We live in the world of progress and we can call any kind of progress evolution. Technological evolution changed our life completely. For instance, computerization of all spheres provoked some positive effect. Most of work can be done faster and easier now. The necessary information can be found within a second. People can make any kind of research work, discover new things, improve our life conditions and stimulates new discoveries. I strongly believe that any development is a positive notion that can cause many positive effects. Evolution turned us from primitive species into homo sapience. Further evolution that was provoked by us, homo sapience, makes our world developed and unique.

MissJaneDate: Saturday, 24.12.2011, 23:40 | Message # 2
Union organizer
Awards: 3
Milton Berle said, "If evolution really works, how come mothers have only 2 hands?" biggrin
Indeed, the evolutionary theory looks a little bit weird and flimsy as the man is the least adaptated creature on Earth. If the nature made animals tough and fit, it didn't bother to let us have something that prevents numerous diseases, for instance. Endowed with intelligence we are the kings of the planet though from the physical standpoint we are weak and unprotected. No claws to defend ourselves, no fangs to attack, no fur to protect from the cold, no acceleration to run from danger... So evolution is not always the kind of development that goes
Quote (Luck)
from something simple into something more complex

AsyaDate: Monday, 26.12.2011, 07:29 | Message # 3
Union committee president
Group: Moders
Awards: 6
The fact I remember well from the school Biology course is: "Evolution" and "Development" are not synonyms!!! Evolution is just changes. And these changes can be either positive or negative. Therefore, positive changes are called development. But the reverse process is degradation.
Of course, when speaking about evolution we tend to speak about development as it is more important for us. But what about species that have died out? What about atavisms and rudiments? What about dead-end branches of development?!

TanyaDate: Monday, 26.12.2011, 11:16 | Message # 4
Course monitor
Awards: 2
I think that the concept of Evolution is a very broader notion. To my mind it is closely connected with development, progress, growth and the process of changing in every sphere of our life. And I agree with Luck. Evolution means an advance from the simple to the complex. And commonly it causes a positive effect. But also I would like to say that evolution can presuppose negative changes. We can say that twentieth century society was strongly influenced by the shock of the introduction of evolution of new different inventions. And today modern scientific discoveries have shown that our planet is prone to collisions, climatical changes and other dangers because of evolution of our technologies

AyayuliaDate: Monday, 26.12.2011, 11:49 | Message # 5
Union organizer
Awards: 2
No matter what we speak about this notion has a positive meaning and is constructive. Evolution is usually connected with animate being, but we can also speak about the evolution of computer technologies. Evolution deals with some peculiarities, characteristics of an object in a diachronic aspect. Here we talk about the comparison of the form or the content of an object in different life periods. Evolution is a constructive feature and usually has a positive connotation. But Asya has said
these changes can be either positive or negative. Therefore, positive changes are called development. But the reverse process is degradation

I want to ask you, what examples of pure defradation during the evolution process can you provide, if there are any?

AsyaDate: Wednesday, 28.12.2011, 00:01 | Message # 6
Union committee president
Group: Moders
Awards: 6
Quote (Asya)
But what about species that have died out? What about atavisms and rudiments?

Ayayulia, I've searched in the Net and found a very entertaining scientific article devoted to rudiments and atavisms: "Atavism: Embryology, Development and Evolution"

lovefootball)Date: Thursday, 15.03.2012, 20:55 | Message # 7
Dean
Group: Users
Awards: 3
All you've mentioned is quite right but it's important not to make the corner-stone of this notion, I mean that unfortunately it's often used as an excuse for rather harmful and actually cruel experiments...And science is not the only example. From time to time people tend to say to their friends something like this, "Sorry but this is all for the better only because now I have a new stage in my life and there's no place for you there". Isnn't it evolution of heart?)

Forum » UNIVERSITY LIFE » Global Education » Evolution
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024