THE WORLD OF ENGLISH Sunday, 05.05.2024, 00:17
Welcome Guest | RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: Seagull, Teacher, firenze  
Forum » ENGLISH LANGUAGE AND ENGLISH SPEAKING CULTURE » Quote's Time » Quote 3 Wisdom (Read, translate and comment upon)
Quote 3 Wisdom
TeacherDate: Tuesday, 08.01.2013, 01:19 | Message # 1
Head teacher
Group: Admins
Awards: 0
“One’s first step in wisdom is to question everything – and one’s last is to come to terms with everything."
Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Georg Christoph Lichtenberg (1 July 1742 – 24 February 1799) was a German scientist, satirist and Anglophile. He was the first to hold a professorship explicitly dedicated to experimental physics in Germany.
Attachments: 1898311.jpg (107.9 Kb)

In Vino Veritas...

DaryaDate: Thursday, 10.01.2013, 23:43 | Message # 2
Student
Group: Reliable
Therefore young blood accomplishes a feat and the old man wins the battle not going out of his room.

Former-TeacherDate: Tuesday, 15.01.2013, 12:21 | Message # 3
Dean
Awards: 2
Absolutely so! The more questions you ask, the more knowledge you get, the better you understand, the wiser you become. When you are wise, it means you have come to terms with everything and you stop conflicts with the world around. It doesn't mean you agree or surrender, you just continue being wise and start changing things in a wise way.

AsyaDate: Friday, 18.01.2013, 00:19 | Message # 4
Union committee president
Group: Moders
Awards: 6
Unfortunately, I couldn't find an English version, but this quote has reminded me of the Rubáiyát  by Omar Khayyám (my favourite one):

Тот, кто с юности верует в собственный ум,
Стал, в погоне за истиной, сух и угрюм.
Притязающий с детства на знание жизни,
Виноградом не став, превратился в изюм

Former-TeacherDate: Friday, 18.01.2013, 10:08 | Message # 5
Dean
Awards: 2
A nice poemB)
I think I'm prone to feel the same and to a lot of speculations on matters of life, I don't believe my mind gets dry and grim, though!
I think one becomes more flexible and reactive, more thoughtful and easy-going, more inventive and resourceful, more sensitive and sensible, more influential and powerful, yet kinder and more sympathetic, more compassinate and responsive. The image of a dry raisin is the best image that could ever visit my mindB)

AsyaDate: Wednesday, 23.01.2013, 00:59 | Message # 6
Union committee president
Group: Moders
Awards: 6
I think it's one of the worst things ever: having a feeling that you know everything or at least everything in some field. That's just ridiculous! And moreover, it stops further development. But unfortunately, this irroneous life position exists, especially among the teengares. I just believe that the more you read and learn the more you doubt all the knowledge you have and the more questions arise daily in your head... which you can't answer. unfortunately. but fortunately as well))

PashkaaDate: Wednesday, 01.10.2014, 22:36 | Message # 7
Union organizer
Group: Reliable
It's impossible to know everything, of course, but you can reach certain success in one or several spheres of our life. I guess, there can't be such a way when you may say "now, I know everything", but it is a good aim to seek after. The most important thing is to have an interest and desire to learn something new. However, the term "wise" isn't the same as "smart", because knowledge is not only theoretical learning of some science or art. We mustn't forget about life experience, which determines the level of wisdom as well. To sum up, a wise person is one who has experienced and learnt a lot of things and, as a result, has reached a balance in his or her mind. Besides, this man always aspires to develop his or her personality, connections with surrounding people and intelect. book

Message edited by Pashkaa - Wednesday, 01.10.2014, 22:38

Forum » ENGLISH LANGUAGE AND ENGLISH SPEAKING CULTURE » Quote's Time » Quote 3 Wisdom (Read, translate and comment upon)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024