THE WORLD OF ENGLISH Sunday, 05.05.2024, 02:38
Welcome Guest | RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: Seagull, Teacher, firenze  
Forum » ENGLISH LANGUAGE AND ENGLISH SPEAKING CULTURE » Quote's Time » Quote 5 Try or Fail (Read, translate and comment upon)
Quote 5 Try or Fail
TeacherDate: Tuesday, 15.01.2013, 00:42 | Message # 1
Head teacher
Group: Admins
Awards: 0
"You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try."
Beverly Sills

Beverly Sills (May 25, 1929 – July 2, 2007) was an American operatic soprano whose peak career was between the 1950s and 1970s. In her prime she was the only real rival to Joan Sutherland as the leading bel canto stylist.
Attachments: 1370720.jpg (68.1 Kb)

In Vino Veritas...

Former-TeacherDate: Tuesday, 15.01.2013, 12:41 | Message # 2
Dean
Awards: 2
I feel I disagree. Before you do or say anything, think before you leap. Observe and analyse, re-explain things to yourself a thousand times, work hard to avoid personal disappointment and disappointing others. Don't just try. This is the living world and people deserve more than silly experiments. Teach yourself to understand, predict, interpret, plan, concentrate, generlise and make sound conclusions. Then you will be HUMAN.

AsyaDate: Thursday, 17.01.2013, 02:25 | Message # 3
Union committee president
Group: Moders
Awards: 6
Quote (Teacher)
people deserve more than silly experiments
That's exactly what I feel studying Experiential learning. On the one hand, I like the general idea of putting theory into practice. And I do share the assumption that learners shouldn't be afraid of making mistakes. But on the other hand, experiments aren't always the best option. I'd prefer some balance))

Former-TeacherDate: Thursday, 17.01.2013, 15:49 | Message # 4
Dean
Awards: 2
Adding to my thoughts, I wanted to emphasize that before trying to do something, one should think things over, predict or visualize 'results', buck up to think logically.
That's right, balance is a good word for it. For me, balance should be based on rational thinking rather than on irrational attempts that make one's experience questionable and unreliable. 'Think before you leap' is a good saying.
Beverly Sills's opinion is just a sign of a feeble character that is lazy to learn and make conclusions, that lives 'now' and never 'then'.

FoxyTDate: Monday, 22.09.2014, 18:50 | Message # 5
Group: Moders
But I agree with Beverly Sills.,... Because if you try to do something, but fail - it will still be the result. But if you even don't try to do, then nothing will happen and change. Each person is responsible for himself and his actions. Of course, you can just go with the flow without taking part in life, and only complain about the consequences. But, in this case, you have no right to complain of destiny, as you have not done anything yourself.

Added (22.09.2014, 18:50)
---------------------------------------------
Yesterday I found one more quotation, unfortunately I don't know the author - "Don't be afraid to take risks and stay suddenly with nothing. Be afraid to sit at your trough all your life and not to do anything to change the situation for the better."

ValerieTrDate: Monday, 22.09.2014, 23:57 | Message # 6
Group: Reliable
Talking about this theme, I want to write the quote that absolutely reflects my point of view. "You only get one life. It's actually your duty to live it as fully as possible." .
I think, you should better live your life fully, not going with the flow, as FoxyT wrote earlier. BUT you must think about the consequences of your acts. Otherwise, one day you can get into trouble. So, I also hold the opinion that you should find a balance.

JaneDate: Wednesday, 24.09.2014, 13:31 | Message # 7
Monitor
I can't totally agree with this thought. It's true that if you fail, you may be dissapointed. Besides, it doesn't mean that you are doomed, if you don't try. You should try till you will have a success. You should never despair of anything because bad period of your life always give place to a good one. So, you should try and not pay attention to any failures. If you act, you move forward.

PashkaaDate: Friday, 26.09.2014, 23:02 | Message # 8
Union organizer
Quote Jane ()
So, you should try and not pay attention to any failures.
To my mind, If you fail again and again in some activity, it may mean that this practice isn't for you and you should try something else. Don't you think so?

ValerkaDate: Wednesday, 01.10.2014, 21:42 | Message # 9
Quote ValerieTr ()
You only get one life. It's actually your duty to live it as fully as possible." .
May be it is strange but this quote is close enough to me too. Our life is constantly sending us flying but it is our choice to rise or to fall.  It means that our life is like a road of cross which should be overcome in spite of pain, suffering, betrayal and death.

Forum » ENGLISH LANGUAGE AND ENGLISH SPEAKING CULTURE » Quote's Time » Quote 5 Try or Fail (Read, translate and comment upon)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024