THE WORLD OF ENGLISH Saturday, 04.05.2024, 07:03
Welcome Guest | RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: Seagull  
Forum » MISCELLANEOUS - LIFE AS IT IS » Medicine and Health » The panic in Saratov (Pneumonic plague in Saratov)
The panic in Saratov
8davids8Date: Friday, 04.12.2009, 19:24 | Message # 1
Union organizer
Group: Admins
Awards: 2
Saratov, a city with the population of a million of citizens, the other day was shaken by the panic.

On Monday the city was full of rumours about an epidemic of pneumonic plague. The rumors had it that on Wednesday, 2th of December, the authorities were going to spray the desinfection on the city. All the citizens were so scared that by Wednesday almost everybody bought bottles with fresh water. People told each other not to go out after 8 p.m. and to close the windows in their houses. So as witnesses say there was not a mother's son in the streets that evening. And certainly there was no desinfection. The next day the authorities claimed that it's nothing to be afraid of and there is no epidemic in Saratov. The same day the police caught a student who was incriminated a spreading of rumors.

But people are still dying. The official statistics says that by now there are about 500 people in Saratov infected with swine flue, 30 of them have already died. But nothing is said about pneumonic plague. But doctors who work in local hospital are nonetheles aware of the real situation, otherwise where came those rumors from?

Now Saratov is closed in quarantine, almost all schools, hospitals and universities are also closed. The autobus traffic with Moscow is forbidden.

I don't know if anyone of you has heard about pneumonic plague in Ryazan, but i have had. A week ago two reliable sources told me that there were already 30 people who had died of plague in Ryazan, 3 of them were doctors. Pneumonic plague affects human's lungs and patients die in 3 days.

So, what do you think about it? Is that just rumors or the information is as usually hidden from us, and real danger threatens our lifes? Have you heard about this kind of plague from your familiar doctors?

MissJaneDate: Friday, 11.12.2009, 23:38 | Message # 2
Union organizer
Group: Friends
Awards: 3
I've heard about it from you, Max =)
well, as for the matter itself, I don't think it is true. Nowadays about half of the information we hear and read is nothing but a plain way to make people panicky or to get money from them. I believe we should sift everything we are told.

8davids8Date: Saturday, 12.12.2009, 00:22 | Message # 3
Union organizer
How can people make money on this stuff?

AsyaDate: Sunday, 13.12.2009, 11:10 | Message # 4
Union committee president
Group: Moders
Awards: 6
Easily. In Saratov people bought about 5 litres of fresh water per person the evening they heard that striking news.

As for our city, I've also heard a lot. But MissJane is right saying that

Quote (MissJane)
we should sift everything we are told.

It'll be much easier. I don't know any examples when panicky did somebody good.

RinaDate: Sunday, 13.12.2009, 22:07 | Message # 5
Union committee president
Awards: 4
I can't but agree with you, Assa and Jane)))
Quote (MissJane)
we should sift everything we are told.
that's really true.))) Good advice))) we should follow it))
I really tend to think that all this panic about so-called swine fleu and pneumonic plague is just muddling people's brains. For what? To make money. Max, you ask how? Do you know the term "rush demand"? Creating this situation is VERY VERY profitable. Assa's example with water bottels is quite convincing - just imagine: 5 bottles per person! The panic brings benefit. I even don't mention the fact that frightened crowds are easily ruled - it's obvious.

Message edited by Rina - Sunday, 13.12.2009, 22:08

MissJaneDate: Sunday, 13.12.2009, 23:23 | Message # 6
Union organizer
Quote (Rina)
For what? To make money.

By the way, everyone has already noticed that the medication prices in our city have GREATLY shot up. A flu mask costs 20 rubles in certain drug-stores. Pills and antivirals doubled their price. It seems that it is easier to die nowadays...

MegastarostaDate: Tuesday, 05.01.2010, 20:21 | Message # 7
Union organizer
Quote (8davids8)
How can people make money on this stuff?

it is our life, Max. Just remember that tragedy in the night club in Perm. Lots of people called families and friends and ask them money in an exchange to the information about their relatives. They also made money on tragedy.

8davids8Date: Tuesday, 05.01.2010, 22:27 | Message # 8
Union organizer
yeah, i've read all your posts..., and now you seem to me like those redneck guys starting from their villages to big cities, and whose parents tell them not to get cheated by the cunning townsfolk))
but nonetheless i'm glad that the topic provoked much brain work by all of you.

MissJaneDate: Tuesday, 05.01.2010, 22:52 | Message # 9
Union organizer
And you are not a redneck guy, eh? was it you who furiously persisted the statement that the case of TB in our university is just rubbish and people simply feed the rumour mill?

8davids8Date: Tuesday, 05.01.2010, 23:28 | Message # 10
Union organizer
That time i spoke only about the rumour case about the girl who managed to reach the terminal TB in a YEAR!!
That was really nosense. All of you of course remember how someone once told us that she died, but the next day the rumours were refuted. That only proves the whole "rumourity" of the situation))
By the way, all that time i stuck to the point that TB took place, and my doubts were only about that girl.

eh??
surprised

MissJaneDate: Tuesday, 05.01.2010, 23:55 | Message # 11
Union organizer
ok, calm down))) smile
so, being an expert in rumours, tell us, please, your opinion on the case of so-called plague?

8davids8Date: Wednesday, 06.01.2010, 09:05 | Message # 12
Union organizer
i was the topic motivator)) and it's you who should answer questions here!!!!))))

MegastarostaDate: Wednesday, 06.01.2010, 11:38 | Message # 13
Union organizer
Quote (8davids8)
those redneck guys starting from their villages to big cities, and whose parents tell them not to get cheated by the cunning townsfolk))

I just told my opinion to this problem, Max. your comments to this could much more polite biggrin
By the way, we are all redneck guys somehow cool

8davids8Date: Thursday, 07.01.2010, 10:41 | Message # 14
Union organizer
just look at my avatar and tell me where you see politeness there...

Forum » MISCELLANEOUS - LIFE AS IT IS » Medicine and Health » The panic in Saratov (Pneumonic plague in Saratov)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024