[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum » UNIVERSITY LIFE » Home Assigments » LP2, ex.5
LP2, ex.5
AsyaDate: Tuesday, 08.09.2009, 18:39 | Message # 1
Union committee president
Group: Moders
Awards: 6
I’m going to sum up the essence of the discussion about ACTING from the THEATRE VOICE website. The discussion is devoted to acting, of course. David Benedict is a host and he asks three people involved into acting whether or not it is possible to teach acting, whether it is a skill or a talent. During the discussion they provide different arguments to support the idea that acting can be taught. But we should differentiate between acting and talent. Talent can’t be taught. It’s an inborn gift. And acting is a process. And, according to Geoffrey, all processes CAN be taught.
If I were involved into the discussion, I’d like the discussants to answer the following questions:
1. If a person is very shy, will it be possible for him to become an actor?
2. Does a person need some teaching if he is talented and can cope with everything himself?
3. Can perfect acting be only a skill, without any talent?

Message edited by Assa - Monday, 14.09.2009, 21:57

8davids8Date: Tuesday, 08.09.2009, 20:13 | Message # 2
Union organizer
Group: Admins
Awards: 2
Quote (Assa)
1. If a person is very shy, will it be possible for him to become an actor?

it depends on a person. some people are shy in their everyday activity, and they reveal their talents only on the stage.
By the way, many famous actors (russian as well as foreign ones) are very shy personalities. Men of few words, addicted to their families, etc.
Quote (Assa)
2. Does a person need some teaching if he is talented and can cope with everything himself?

As in any sphere of human activity, here even a talented actor needs teaching. Self-taught persons are certainly worser than those with theatrical education.
Quote (Assa)
3. Can perfect acting be only a skill, without any talent?

A perfect one can't, it can be at best quite good, excpecially if an actor is experrienced. without a talent you hardly become a world star. that's for sure. here can be no objections.

LuckDate: Tuesday, 08.09.2009, 22:30 | Message # 3
Union organizer
Group: Friends
Awards: 5
I must say that I liked this discussion very much. Actually I was quite interested in some thoughts and ideas. The theme is quite ordinary but we can see that there are lots of opinions about whether acting or talent can be taught or not. From my point of view, a person shouldn’t want to be an actor, he should be an actor. Because if you don’t have any talent, I mean like an inborn gift, you can’t be an actor. I just want to say that of course acting skills can be taught in some way, but mostly they can just be improved. A good actor can improvise on the stage if something goes wrong, can call the audience’s attention in his own way, and I can say for sure that this skill can’t be taught in the Actor’s school.
And how do you think?

AsyaDate: Tuesday, 08.09.2009, 23:25 | Message # 4
Quote (Luck)
A good actor can improvise on the stage if something goes wrong, can call the audience’s attention in his own way, and I can say for sure that this skill can’t be taught in the Actor’s school.

Well... I think that it CAN be taught. I'll give you an example concerning English. When you came here you knew nothing about "insistant questions" or "dialogs that shold be acted out". No, it's quite easy for you to do these tasks. I suppose, you can answer any question without any time to prepare your answer.
As far as I understand, in both cases (English and acting) we are speaking about the skill of immediate reaction to sth. So, I believe, the skill of calling attention can also be taught. Don't you agree?

RinaDate: Tuesday, 08.09.2009, 23:26 | Message # 5
Awards: 4
Well, as for me, when I heard the title of the theme ("Can acting be taught?") I thought: 'What a silly question! Everything can be taught!' some minutes later I understood that nothing was as simple as I had thought. During the discussion different opinions were given, different points of view were shown. And at least the question about acting turned out to be the question about TALENT. I want to quote Steve Larcher, whose words I regard as the answer to the following questions: "...at the end of the day talent can't be taught, that's very, very true, but, training can give you hints, techniques, an advantage, because at the end of the day talent isn't everything".
Now, remembering my 1st thought I'll try to correct it. Everything can be taught, but not everything can be learnt... Do you agree?

Quote (Assa)

I think YES. You know, diamonds acquire brilliance only after faceting ))))

Message edited by Rina - Tuesday, 08.09.2009, 23:29

AsyaDate: Tuesday, 08.09.2009, 23:30 | Message # 6
Quote (Rina)
Everything can be taught, but not everything can be learnt... Do you agree?

Yeah!!!!!! Completely!!!!

MissJaneDate: Tuesday, 08.09.2009, 23:46 | Message # 7
Union organizer
Awards: 3
Since the summary of the interview has been done above, I'd just like to discuss one point I found quite debatable. It's about the age when young wannabe actors shoud be taken to drama schools. I partly agree with the opinion that more mature students are the best ones. Surely, they are, they have seen something in life and they have learnt a bit more than those applicants who have come straight from school. A good actor must not only play his part but live through it on the stage so he has to have some life experience. But clearly, it is not a route suitable for everyone. "What should I do after finishing school?", a youngster asks (with all the desire to become a professional actor). Entering a university might be a sheer waste of time if this person wants an immediate practice in acting. And if this person makes up his mind to find some job, is it possible that he will give up the idea of becoming an actor in a while? Is there any solution to such a problem? Speak your mind, please.

TanyaDate: Tuesday, 08.09.2009, 23:50 | Message # 8
Course monitor
These theme really forsed me to think about the main idea of the discussion. Of course talent is an inherent thing which the person have from the moment of his birth. And everybody who wants to be a good actor must have a talent. But on the other hand everything can be taught and acting is not an exception! Everybody khows there are many different dramatic schools for it. Espessially it is interesting for vigorous, young people or for people who want to try yourself on the stage! And it is wonderful that there are several small schools in our city!

MissJaneDate: Tuesday, 08.09.2009, 23:54 | Message # 9
Union organizer
Awards: 3
Quote (Rina)
diamonds acquire brilliance only after faceting

Yes, you are right, but what if..
what if a diamond even doesn't want to be turned into a brilliant? it is a DIAMOND!!! biggrin (i'm talking about arrogance and self-confidence) so can we critisize such "diamonds" because of their unwillingness to improve themselves?

AsyaDate: Wednesday, 09.09.2009, 00:04 | Message # 10
I think that we MUST criticize them. There are no worthy diamonds that don't want to become brilliants. biggrin

RinaDate: Wednesday, 09.09.2009, 00:15 | Message # 11
Awards: 4
Quote (MissJane)
can we critisize such "diamonds" because of their unwillingness to improve themselves?

I don't think we can critisize... We can only feel sorry for them (((

TeacherDate: Wednesday, 09.09.2009, 10:15 | Message # 12
Head teacher
Group: Admins
Awards: 0
Can Acting be taught? There are two main meanings. On the one hand, it can, because a human being has possibilities to get all kinds of knowledge and to learn train his body or mind. On the other hand, there is a phenomenon called 'talent'. Talent is a kind of an inborn liability to do something. Let me introduce to you two persons. One of them is a talented man and another is just a man who was taught how to play. They both good actors, they can play any role. But! One of them spends much time to prepare for the play and another just take a script, read it and is already ready to play his role. And if we speak about their styles of playing, we can see that the play of the talented man is less academic and book-learned.
To conclude I must say, that you can be taught everything except talent.

In Vino Veritas...

MegastarostaDate: Thursday, 10.09.2009, 22:26 | Message # 13
Union organizer
i'm really sorry, that i didn't make my home aasigment in time, but sad
But today i heard this text and now i want to write some words about it smile The most idea of this text is Can acting be taught?! confused And we have 2 pninios to this problem: Firstly - You need to have big talent in oredr to play. Talent is like a skill, which have or not and it can't be taught. Secondly - You can study in order to be an actor. Who is right in this question? To my mind, we have lots of speciall schools universities where u can have brilliant teachers that can teach u how to be an actor. But in this case I need to ask you: Do you think that you are a brilliant actor? Do you think that if you haven't talent you can act best than talented actor? I really dont think, that's why i believe in talent. And dont believe in untalented actors, it is like a fake. U come into shop, you want buy smth that you like, but when you come home you discovered that it is not just that thing that you wanted. and whats your reaction? you r upset. And it is like me, coz i usually upset when i dont get that uniqe emotions while watching actors playing.

Forum » UNIVERSITY LIFE » Home Assigments » LP2, ex.5
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024