THE WORLD OF ENGLISH Monday, 29.04.2024, 13:55
Welcome Guest | RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum » UNIVERSITY LIFE » Home Assigments » LP 10 H/A TASK 1 (Year 2014-2015, 1st semester)
LP 10 H/A TASK 1
TeacherDate: Tuesday, 30.09.2014, 10:03 | Message # 1
Head teacher
Group: Admins
Awards: 0
Say if you agree or disagree with the author of the text from TASK 4 and why. Formulate 5 subject-based questions. Answer each other's questions here.

In Vino Veritas...

ValerkaDate: Thursday, 02.10.2014, 20:31 | Message # 2
Union committee president
Group: Reliable
1) Can theatre be substituted by cinema?
2) Does cinema require any concentration and interaction with audience?
3) Why the theatre and cinema are usually considered   as different cultural domains?
4) Do theatre and cinema claim more control over people’s emotions.
5) Can cinema be considered as a modern version of theatre that reflects the essence of life in another way?
6) Why does our generation don’t understand the value of theatre? 
The same material can be presented in a considerably different way with help of theatre and cinema.  The actors on stage have to lose all their energy and efforts to describe the brutal scene of violence, for example, while modern technology of cinematograph can do it using more stunning means at once. Any eternal works of art are introduced in different ways at a different time. It means 100 years ago people imaged Hamlet in a quite diverse manner than they see him now. But, notwithstanding the fact that these two kinds of art are slightly different, the author of this text recommends to regard them as equal art forms.    
Nowadays theatre and cinema are considered as a substantial juxtaposition. But I would like to agree with the author that cinema is a modern version of theatre that uses effective means to reflect our reality in more contemporary way. The main difference between these gorgeous kinds of art is not only in the way of presenting but in the way of perception.   It proves the fact that cinema gives you more aesthetic freedom while theatre has more control over your emotions. Moreover, theatre always presupposes inner interaction between actors and spectators and gives us opportunity to plunge into the world of something so compelling and outfield. 
1) Why does our generation give priority to cinema instead of theatre?
2) Do you regard theatre and cinema as a strong juxtaposition?
3) Do you believe that theatre is a manifestation of a veritable kind of art while cinema is just a parody that doesn’t reflect all the power of human emotions?
4) Can you consider cinema as a way of inspiration, resuscitation and alteration of people’s life?
5) Can modern technology of cinematograph substitute actor’s sincerity on a stage?

PashkaaDate: Thursday, 02.10.2014, 23:56 | Message # 3
Union organizer
Do theatre and cinema ask questions without answeringthem?
Can theatre and cinema make us reason about things which are far from us?
Do these two forms of art contain juxtapositionbetween views and compel us to choose?
Can a usual spectator value theatre and cinema as notonly entertaining, but educative sides of our social life?
Do theatre and cinema have an ability to anticipateour desires and bring them to life?
Could you possibly think of theatre and cinema asmanifestation of hidden sides of our life?

The staged version of Philip Pullman's His DarkMaterials was a great triumph of technology which was evaluated by spectators
warmly as well. All technical means serve to express Pullman’s imagination and
transmit brightness and epic of the scenes of the novel. The battles were
represented as a full of motions scenes which could bewitch anybody from a
child to an old man. Anyway, theatre has a less possibilities to show, forexample, breathtaking battle scenes than cinema, but theatre has been valuable form
of art since an ancient time without any special effects, because it doesn’t need
it. Theatre’s feature is that it makes us imagine and think.  

To my mind, theatre shouldn’t seek after great visualeffect in its plays, because in this way theatre will be the same as cinema one
day. I can’t argue that cinema represents huge, beautiful and impressive views,
but it is not the most important thing. For example, people haven’t stopped reading
books though they are just lines of text, because our mind creates various
images that are greater than any technical means could possibly make.

Have you heard about “His Dark Materials”?
What novel would you like to be staged?
Can it be possible that some battle scene is moreimpressive on the stage than on the screen?
Can it be possible to stage “Harry Potter” usingmodern means of visualizing in theatre?
What do you prefer: books or cinema?

Added (02.10.2014, 23:56)
---------------------------------------------

Quote Valerka ()
1) Why does our generation give priority to cinema instead of theatre? 2) Do you regard theatre and cinema as a strong juxtaposition?
3) Do you believe that theatre is a manifestation of a veritable kind of art while cinema is just a parody that doesn’t reflect all the power of human emotions?
4) Can you consider cinema as a way of inspiration, resuscitation and alteration of people’s life?
5) Can modern technology of cinematograph substitute actor’s sincerity on a stage?
1) It's a fact, because a young generation gets used to see ready-made images, but not to think them out. Anouther factor is human laziness. 
2) They are not competitors. They are just two branches of the same root and each one has its features and advantages.
3) Theatre is closer to traditional art with its naturalness and simplicity, while cinema is a modern version of the same kind of art.
4) Cinema is the same reflection of our life as theatre is, but in cases of fantastic film this analogy is quite blurred.
5) In this way it doesn't. Cinema actors are usually act their parts very persuasively, but they always have little breaks between shots, while theatre actors live another life for several hours which demands more efforts and, as a result, is more sincere.

Message edited by Pashkaa - Thursday, 02.10.2014, 23:42

JaneDate: Friday, 03.10.2014, 00:04 | Message # 4
Monitor
1) I don't think so because lots of people prefer going to theater than to cinema and theater helps us to dip into some reality and look at our life from another side.
2) No, it doesn't. But all depend on the viewer, from his own purpose of watching. In most cases, people watch films to relax and not think about anything.
3) It's natural that they are considered as different cultural domains. Theatre is an ancient kind of art, it offer people to think, understand themselves, to share their feeelings and emotions with people. While cinema is more modern kind of art and can attract people some visual effects, but sometimes even films can attach some essential themes of life.
4) I can't say with confidence because different people have different degree of sensitivity. Besides, not all films or plays send for bright emotions.
5) I think we can say it because as I said early, some films can be made for showing some problems or challenges of reality. But we shouldn't forget that most of them are made for people's preferences, especially with different effects.
6) It's an essential question for our time. Nowadays more and more people prefer going to cinema. They say it's interesting, cheap and relaxing. They don't pay attention to the meaning of the most films. So, it's our generation but if we want to make them theatre-goers, we should influence on them in some way.

ValerieTrDate: Friday, 03.10.2014, 09:49 | Message # 5
1) Can theatres be substituted by cinemas?
2) Do theatres raise a cultural level of people?
3) Do you believe that cinema can’t share live experience that theatre can?
4) Do you agree that actor is a thankless profession?
5) Can theatres and cinemas impose doubtful view-points?
6) Will theatres and cinemas disappear after a number of years?

We can often see such a situation when after a performance the cast go to the
stage for taking a bow. But after the theatrical adaptation of Philip Pullman's
'His Dark Materials' trilogy, which had a great success, the entire technical
crew walked to stage for taking a bow too. The staged version of "His Dark
Materials" was a real triumph of technology because it showed this
wonderful Pullman's imagined world. This world is really incredible. You can
watch tiny people who ride dragonflies and set-piece battles between armoured
polar bears and ecclesiastical zealots during the performance. The authorof this text also raises the idea that theatre can match the cinema. But I also
share the idea that theatres lack representation freedom that cinemas have. So,
I think that theatres and cinemas will coexist together. Each of them has their
distinctive features that will always attract attention of the audience.

Quote Pashkaa ()
Have you heard about “His Dark Materials”?
What novel would you like to be staged?
Can it be possible that some battle scene is moreimpressive on the stage than on the screen?
Can it be possible to stage “Harry Potter” usingmodern means of visualizing in theatre?
What do you prefer: books or cinema?
1. I have heard and, moreover, have read this trilogy. "His Dark Materials" is
my favourite trilogy.
2. It's areally hard question for me because all the novels that I want to watch can be
only filmed and as far as I know they will be shot soon. I just can't imagine
them on stage.

3. I think,it's not possible. Nowadays with various special effects in cinema we can watch
stunning scenes that look really breathtaking.

4. To mymind, it's possible. We have a lot of talented people who can make it true.
5. I preferboth: books and cinemas.  When you read abook, you can imagine everything what happens there and sometimes it turns out
that your variant of the story is better than the film version.
  Going to cinema is one of the best ways tospend your free time. For example, you can watch a film adaptation of a book or
biographic movie.

Message edited by ValerieTr - Friday, 03.10.2014, 20:20

FoxyTDate: Friday, 03.10.2014, 10:56 | Message # 6
Group: Moders
Can theater become enthusiasm of modern youth?
Can theater and cinema mutually enrich each other and not be rivals?
Can cinema and theater ever leave the stage and give way to another leader?
What kind of art can replace theater and cinema?
What ordinary inhabitants need to learn from professional actors?
Can absolutely any person become an actor?

Undoubtedly, theatre and cinema have different resources and use different means to convey the material to the audience. However, this should not encourage the viewer to underestimate one or the other arts. For example, the theatrical adaptation of Philip Pullman's 'His Dark Materials' trilogy had a great success and was a real triumph. But still, theater has fewer opportunities to delight us with incredible special effects than cinema. Though a lot of movies present us the material as a finished product, leaving no place in our imagination. Theater does not have such a purpose. It makes the audience not only to see, but also to feel and think.
Therefore, I agree with the author in idea that theater and cinema are different art forms that require different skills from their creators and various resources. However, cinema and theater should coexist and interact, as they provide not only identical, but also slightly different human needs. Cinema gives a person pleasure and leisure, theater helps to develop mind.

Are vivid special effects in the movies important for you?
Are you an admirer of one of these arts, cinema or theater?
What do you know about the "His Dark Materials"?
What theater and cinema would be worth to exchange / share with each other?
Are the debates about the relation of theater and cinema unreasonable and useless?

Message edited by FoxyT - Friday, 03.10.2014, 11:55

ValerieTrDate: Friday, 03.10.2014, 21:23 | Message # 7
1. Have you heard about other Philip Pullman's works?
2. Have you seen a film adaptation of "Northern lights"?
3. Do you know a staged work of fiction of the same scale as "His Dark Materials"?
4. Do you think that theatre makes us more human?
5. Do you agree that theatres shouldn't borrow the usage of modern technologies for performances?

Message edited by ValerieTr - Friday, 03.10.2014, 21:28

Forum » UNIVERSITY LIFE » Home Assigments » LP 10 H/A TASK 1 (Year 2014-2015, 1st semester)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024