THE WORLD OF ENGLISH Sunday, 05.05.2024, 02:17
Welcome Guest | RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum » UNIVERSITY LIFE » Home Reading » S.Maugham (A string of beads)
S.Maugham
MegastarostaDate: Monday, 08.06.2009, 19:28 | Message # 1
Union organizer
Group: Friends
Awards: 2
Yesterday I read a story “ A STRING OF BEADS” written by Somerset Maugham. The plot is simple: the author shows the conversation between him and woman who’s name is Laura. She told him a very interesting story about the governess Miss Robinson, who worked in Livingstone’s house. She was invited to the dinner at the last moment one of the guests couldn’t come. While the dinner guests were talking about a string of pearls that was on the Miss Robinson’s neck. They thought that it cost fifty thousand pounds, but Miss Robinson said that she bought it for fifteen shilling. Nobody believed her, everybody thought that she is a robber or smth like that. Suddenly two men came into Livingstone’s house and they wanted to talk with Miss Robinson. When she came back to the guests the necklace was gone. She said that those two men were shop assistants and they made a mistake (they sold her the wrong string) and gave her the string of pearls for fifteen shillings. As a compensation she got a chegue of three hundred pounds. Miss Robinson decided to spend money on holidays in Deauville. There she met rich men, married and moved in Paris with him. Laura, who told all this story to the author, said that saw her in Paris and “cut her dead”, because she couldn’t understand how it is possible to become so rich. Many people, who knew Miss Robinson were furious and envy her.
S.Maugham shows us that life can change in every minute. Happiness can find us everywhere and in time when we don’t expect it. I really liked this story. Also, the author shows us how disgusting is to think bad things about people and from this story we can find, how terrible is it to envy people. No matter are you rich or not, you can’t make gossips.
Maugham’s language helped me imagine it very clear and I thought this happened with me. This is how truely the author showed things in this story. I really recommended it to you because the story isn’t big, it is very easy to read and it is interesting. biggrin

LuckDate: Monday, 08.06.2009, 21:43 | Message # 2
Union organizer
Awards: 5
I read this story in the beginning of the year)) actually one of my friends recommended it to me. It's really quite short and the language is too simple. But I liked it very much. To tell the truth I don't like Maugham at all, so when we had to read his stories it was very awful for me because I don't read such kind of books. And when my friend adviced me "A string of beads" I thought that I would never read it. But then I found a little time and do it. And I don't regret. It's really an interesting story))

8davids8Date: Monday, 08.06.2009, 23:10 | Message # 3
Union organizer
Group: Admins
Most of all i like his "Moon and Sixpence". That's one of the best novels i've ever read. that is actually one of the deepest works i've ever seen and the ideas expressed there are so profound. i think somerset maugham is one of my favoutite british authors

MegastarostaDate: Saturday, 02.01.2010, 20:51 | Message # 4
Union organizer
Hmm, to be honest, i found "Moon and sixpence" a little bit boring. I know that its a matter of taste, but for me this story was boring dry

RosebudDate: Thursday, 05.04.2012, 22:36 | Message # 5
Monitor
Group: Users
Awards: 0
When I was a second-year student we read three novels by Maugham "The moon and sixpence", "Theatre" and "The painted veil". I liked all the three, specially the last two. Having read them I wanted to watch the films very much and I must confess that they are splendid. They aroused bright emotions within me. When I was watching "The painted veil" I cried, because I was very sorry for Walter Fane, the main character's husband who helping sick people was infected with cholera. Those who haven't read these stories or watched the movies yet, read and see them smile sure, you'll like them.

Strawberry1992Date: Friday, 13.04.2012, 02:45 | Message # 6
Monitor
I like Maugham very much. smile My favourite his work is "The painted veil". I have watched both the film and read the book, and I like more the film than the book, because the film is more romantic and smal smal more interesting than the book. The end of "The painted veil" is different in these works. In the Maugham's book the end is more tragic. Usually people like to watch films with a happy end and I think that's why it was changed. bye

Nikky0638Date: Friday, 20.04.2012, 18:20 | Message # 7
Monitor
I like Maugham's creativity))) This author is different from others by his manner of writing... But I think every writer has his own zest, because if they want to attract the attention of the readers they need to make a great effort, they should be able to interest them, they should add smt new and unique to their stories... how it could make Maugham smile He is wonderful author< who has his own style, his own point of view and outlook on life. I like his work such as "The moon and sixpence" where William tells us about the painter, who distinguished by his act of behavior and manners. The writer wanted to show that there are many people, who only see vices and weaknesses of others, but they don't want to know them on the other hand. People may be different, it depends on circumstances.The author shows his opinion and attitude towards the hero, describes Charle's life which was an unusual and difficult. Other exciting stories are "Theater" and "Painted vail". These books are eventful. The author shows people's relationships to each other, to the outside world, people's thoughts, feelings. Each plot is a kind of mystery and certainly we have an element of surprise. Maugham makes such an atmosphere tnat we can't but interest in the main characters, it is so exciting because the author not only voiced hero's thoughts, but also makes his comments. His novels are successful since they are vital. His main purpose is to appeal to the reader's intellect, to their imagination. it is interesting to analyze these books!!!

SarahDate: Monday, 24.09.2012, 11:02 | Message # 8
Student
I've read many Maugham's books.They are really very unusual,he has his own manner of writing. And every action in his stories never happends by chance. But I've noticed that in every story he has smth equal.He usually has one person who is a create and talanted, and very often this man suffers,because no one could estimate and admit his unique possibilities. I've read his novels one by one and I can say that in some moments i'm bored. nevertheless everybody should be acquented this his works.

AsyaDate: Monday, 24.09.2012, 11:44 | Message # 9
Union committee president
Group: Moders
Awards: 6
Quote (Sarah)
I've read his novels one by one and I can say that in some moments i'm bored.

I really can't understand why. Maugham's novels differ from each other greatly! And I wouldn't say that the main character is always talented. Maybe, unhappy? But the stories that come up to my mind now... None of them would match your description. Except for "The Moon and Sixpence"... But it's quite an outstanding novel...
As for feeling bored... I'm more than surprised. I have always thought that Maugham's short stories have a surprising element. Don't you agree with me?

Forum » UNIVERSITY LIFE » Home Reading » S.Maugham (A string of beads)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024