THE WORLD OF ENGLISH Tuesday, 07.05.2024, 19:01
Welcome Guest | RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum » UNIVERSITY LIFE » Exams » Winter Exams in English (Ideas for examination procedures, types of tasks, evaluation)
Winter Exams in English
Former-TeacherDate: Friday, 09.10.2009, 12:25 | Message # 1
Dean
Group: Admins
Awards: 2
Dear Students! This winter your Ebglish Exam will include two main aspects - pronunciation and intonation quality, conversational skills. We have good experience of doing the English exams. I have always tried to make this event a useful and positive development. I suggest we start brainstorming ideas for the exam procedures. What kinds of tasks and procedures will you consider most effective tools to grade your language level and communicative competence? Post your ideas and suggestions.
BELIEVE ME THAT THE EXAM WILL BE MORE INCLUSIVE AND MOTIVATING IF YOU SEE THAT IT IS BASED ON YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS AND SUGGESTIONS.

Neriel-samaDate: Friday, 09.10.2009, 20:31 | Message # 2
Student
Group: Users
Awards: 0
I have always felt jealous that I don't study in Your group(((

AsyaDate: Friday, 09.10.2009, 21:19 | Message # 3
Union committee president
Group: Moders
Awards: 6
My favourite task is making dialogues and acting them out. Just speaking together on some topic. Without getting prepared. Please, let it remain.

MissJaneDate: Saturday, 10.10.2009, 23:19 | Message # 4
Union organizer
Group: Friends
Awards: 3
Yes, I agree with Assa. Unprepared speech is one of the most effective ways to check your liguistic competence =)
However, I suppose we are not quite ready for such a practice yet; otherwise, we still have 3 months to improve our English.

MegastarostaDate: Sunday, 11.10.2009, 19:22 | Message # 5
Union organizer
To be honest I like to speak on the topics I'm personally interested in. Why not make smth like a report of your section here? It will be smth like a conclusion of the work that we have done. On the other hand, one's participation in the website discussions can also be assessed and included in the final examionation grade. Why not!

Message edited by Megastarosta - Sunday, 11.10.2009, 19:23

TeacherDate: Monday, 12.10.2009, 03:13 | Message # 6
Head teacher
I'd like to have some unprepared speech procedures. I think topics and questions should inlude those ones that we have discussed in classes. However, some new ones could be a nice chance to test your skills.

In Vino Veritas...

BlackCatDate: Monday, 09.11.2009, 13:17 | Message # 7
Student
I took this exam last year. Believe me, it's not that easy. A usual procedure consits of:
1) a theoretical question about tone groups;
2) listening part - you listen to a dialogue and mark all the tones and stresses in its printed version;
3) reading part - you read an excerpt aloud according to the tones and stresses, without preparation.

Lucky you are! Your teacher wants the exam to be interesting! Think over it properly!!!!!!!!!! Good luck! wink

Message edited by BlackCat - Monday, 09.11.2009, 19:37

8davids8Date: Monday, 09.11.2009, 18:24 | Message # 8
Union organizer
it looks like to be an exam in theoretical phonetics, doesn't it?

BlackCatDate: Monday, 09.11.2009, 19:41 | Message # 9
Student
No! surprised Do you really think I'm so stupid to mix the two exams up? This is the exam in PRACTICAL phonetics - with your English teacher. With Ms. Antonovskaya you'll get two theoretical questions + a lot of additional ones + your tables on the dialects will be properly checked. Enjoy! cool

AsyaDate: Tuesday, 10.11.2009, 12:54 | Message # 10
Tables of the dialects???
By the way, how did your group pass theoretical phonetics?

BlackCatDate: Tuesday, 10.11.2009, 13:50 | Message # 11
Student
Have your seminars in theoretical phonetics started, I wonder? As far as I can see you have no idea about the exam!!! wacko
Our group was the best among the others - we got 3 excellent marks!!! In comparison with the group of Antonovskaya - there were only two of them. By the way, among all the students of 80 people, there were hardly 10 excellent marks. Actually, for me it was a nightmare! no matter I attended an optional course by this teacher, my excellent mark was the hardest one I have ever got by now!
My free advice for you - try to pass all the rest "automatically" - you will need a lot of time to get prepared properly! (if you want to pass it, of course) wink

Message edited by BlackCat - Tuesday, 10.11.2009, 18:28

AsyaDate: Wednesday, 11.11.2009, 00:01 | Message # 12
Sounds rather nice... biggrin biggrin biggrin

MissJaneDate: Tuesday, 17.11.2009, 23:10 | Message # 13
Union organizer
Awards: 3
Well, I'm not going to critisize the methods of teaching in our university, but I guess I know why students have so much trouble passing exams like theoretical phonetics. We just haven't developed the speaking skills. We are to mark all the tones and stresses, we are to tell about the tone groups...What for?! If sometimes we keep making the same idiotic mistakes like "reason of" or can't speak our mind without stumbling, what do we need all this theory for? just to cram it up and then forget about it for ever?

BlackCatDate: Wednesday, 18.11.2009, 19:49 | Message # 14
Student
People! I see not all of you undrestand me in a correct way!
At your exam in Theoretical phonetics you WILL NOT mark the tones and stresses or speak about tone groups!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(read above)
You will get all those procedures at you English exam in winter - it is called practical phonetics - unless you think of some others - as your teacher asked you to do! flower

Don't be afraid - it's not so difficult to speak English during an exam! But tone groups and your understanding of their necessity will help you not to be nervous. Miss Antonovskaya can correct you if you pronounce some phrase in a wrong way! (which can even make thing worse, taking into account the fact everyone gets nervous at an exam)

Message edited by BlackCat - Wednesday, 18.11.2009, 19:56

MegastarostaDate: Saturday, 02.01.2010, 20:39 | Message # 15
Union organizer
Well, now we know what to expect)))

Forum » UNIVERSITY LIFE » Exams » Winter Exams in English (Ideas for examination procedures, types of tasks, evaluation)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024