THE WORLD OF ENGLISH Friday, 03.05.2024, 05:52
Welcome Guest | RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum moderator: Teacher  
Forum » MISCELLANEOUS - LIFE AS IT IS » Faith Matters » Online Church - For or Against (Discussing Alternative Ways of Practising Religion)
Online Church - For or Against
lovefootball)Date: Monday, 25.10.2010, 20:21 | Message # 61
Dean
Group: Users
Awards: 3
Well, maybe there's no harm in online church if it corresponds to one's principles. Faith is a matter of private concern, everyone has his/her perception of religion and that has the right to exist as long as it doesn't go against the basic concept.

Message edited by lovefootball) - Wednesday, 27.10.2010, 22:53

WardrunaDate: Tuesday, 26.10.2010, 20:45 | Message # 62
Student
I read all the posts and I think that online church is a good source of communication for religious people or people who try to find their God. It's a perfect place to gain and impact knowledge of religion. But it's hardly possible to make special rituals work online.

lovefootball)Date: Wednesday, 27.10.2010, 22:59 | Message # 63
Dean
That's it! A source of communication! Online church should be informal, I mean it can't pretend to the status of real church. I think it should be a kind of a community.

Fr_ArseniosDate: Saturday, 30.10.2010, 12:06 | Message # 64
Student
Awards: 0
Hello, everybody! I haven't read all the posts, but I would like to join the discussion.
It is a very interesting and important problem. Because the modern world is developing and changing very fast. And Church must react exactly to these changes to use new ways for sermons. The first task of Church is a mission and sermon about Christ. In Christianity the concepts of Christ and God are the same. And sermon is one of the commandments of Christ. Christ's Church has unquestionable truths and dogmatos, that exist all times. But the forms of sermons can be different. So Online Church is a possible variant of sermons and some of Church's propositions. Online Church can't fully substitute Real Church.

NekavaenDate: Friday, 05.11.2010, 22:36 | Message # 65
Head teacher
Awards: 1
Yes, you are right. Now I also think it’s hardly possible that one day on-line church will substitute the real one completely. But they can collaborate with each other very productively, I’m sure. Real church can use the Internet for popularization of religious ideas and, as Lovefootball has already said above, special communities for people of faith can be organized in cyberspace.

It is not human to be without shame and without desire. (Ursula K. Le Guin)

lovefootball)Date: Saturday, 06.11.2010, 14:32 | Message # 66
Dean
It may well be true if it's remembered that our church is getting more democratic. I think it may take any oppotrunity to consolidate its power and become more influential. Who knows, maybe the Internet will contribute to that.

NekavaenDate: Saturday, 06.11.2010, 20:11 | Message # 67
Head teacher
Awards: 1
I think progressively minded Christians should be happy that from now on they will have an opportunity to enlarge communication with people holding the same religious views. And it's certainly a sign of democratization that a person of faith is getting a chance to choose a spiritual home that serves his or her needs better.
Some of us agree that a virtual church is a sacred place and some of us deny it. I think only time will show if its invention and development was a great breakthrough for the whole mankind or the most terrible mistake of all times. The result will depend on in whose hands Virtual Church will be and for what purposes it will be used. It can unite people from different countries and at the same time its confrontation with traditional churches may lead to serious conflicts.

It is not human to be without shame and without desire. (Ursula K. Le Guin)

MissJaneDate: Sunday, 07.11.2010, 12:03 | Message # 68
Union organizer
Group: Friends
I have missed a great deal of discussion, will try to "join the ranks".

First of all, I tend to agree with the latest messages about On-line Church as a source of communication. It really is. Just compare the type of communication that occurs in real churches and that of a virtual one. In the first case, people are to pray and to listen to sermons, to go through church rituals; but mainly it is communication within themselves. On-line Church provides a opportunity to interact with other people. Of course, the same function is already fulfilled by religious forums where netters discuss various aspects of faith. But even these forums are a unique phenomenon in our life. Indeed, who, let me say, 2 hundred years ago would argue about particular places in Holy Writ directly in church? Or argue about faith matters at all? Our century is the time of all-pervading desire to learn the truth. So nowadays we are developing new types of this very process of cognition. We learn from each other. We present others with our own ideas (as well as misconceptions, however).

A few weeks ago I came across an on-line forum completely dedicated to one question: Were the early Christians pacifists? It turned out to be a hot discussion which in fact you will never meet anywhere in real life.

So the idea of on-line churches is the attempt to bring the civilization to a new variant of communication. It is global. communication. Whereas a real church represents a small community of adherents of certain beliefs, the on-line church community is a universal project, probably aiming at universal mutual understanding and love... Isn't it the basis of any religion? smile

lovefootball)Date: Sunday, 07.11.2010, 16:54 | Message # 69
Dean
H'm, it has just occured to me that such communication is not so essential. I mean we live in orthodox society and people with similar religious convictions are supposed to be practically everywhere around us. So does it mean that online communication (as part of online church) can give us something new or enrich us?

MissJaneDate: Monday, 08.11.2010, 22:39 | Message # 70
Union organizer
Group: Friends
I think that any type/kind/form of communication always provides us with new ideas, it can even suggest a non-conventional view of the world. So to enrich us is the very goal of the process of communication, no matter whether it is about religious matters, or legislation, or economy, or whatever.

Fr_ArseniosDate: Wednesday, 10.11.2010, 14:50 | Message # 71
Student
It is clear that Online-Church is an extension of Real Church. The notion of Church is not only a brick or wooden building. Church, first of all, is society of people of the same faith. It is a way of living, genesis. A believer must always remember about God's commandments. The believer goes to Church (as a building) to take part in sacraments, especially the Sacrament of Community (the Sacrament of the Eucharist). Do you know what it means? As believers are ones of us and they realize the same needs, so everything they do or see can be filled with faith. So why not Online-Church with the functions that do not contradict the religious mind?

Former-TeacherDate: Saturday, 27.11.2010, 11:00 | Message # 72
Dean
Group: Admins
Awards: 2
Fr_Arsenios, if we admit that we can participate in church life online, so can you advise what I can do online as a believer? Is it really OK if I confess online? I have found a site that has a discussion forum on the point - http://www.monachos.net/forum....on-line I now feel that online confession is actually a useful thing.

AmarantaDate: Friday, 18.05.2012, 01:53 | Message # 73
Monitor
To my mind, such a kind of a church is a matter of future. Of course, now it seems unnatural for us to pray online or sent sms to a priest but in future it will be as natural as our present church. I`m sure even in a couple of decades a special church website will appear where all common people will be able to enumerate their sins instead of doing it in the church. On the one hand, it`s rather convenient to be at home and confess. But on the other hand, it`s a moral and subjective question.

Nastay62rusDate: Tuesday, 08.01.2013, 08:44 | Message # 74
Union organizer
I consider it nonsense

:)Date: Monday, 18.02.2013, 22:13 | Message # 75
Union organizer
I don't know how people could ivent the  Online-Church???!!!I had never heard of such stupid things!I thing that people should visit real church!We should communicate with God in the present.God can't help us with computer's help!

Forum » MISCELLANEOUS - LIFE AS IT IS » Faith Matters » Online Church - For or Against (Discussing Alternative Ways of Practising Religion)
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024