THE WORLD OF ENGLISH Monday, 06.05.2024, 00:16
Welcome Guest | RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: Teacher  
Forum » ENGLISH LANGUAGE AND ENGLISH SPEAKING CULTURE » Life in the UK » New Year in Great Britain
New Year in Great Britain
Former-TeacherDate: Wednesday, 22.12.2010, 15:39 | Message # 1
Dean
Group: Admins
Awards: 2
Christmas and New Year's are celebrated throughout England with great enthusiasm, and it's a time of year when the British really make a point about following traditions. London is a great place to ring in the New Year, a city that lights up with fireworks, light shows, and plenty of local events to keep you busy. Most New Year's parties take place at a pub or a local club, but many Brits also entertain at home with buffet-style dinners and a few toasts. One of the popular NY traditions is called 'The First Footing'.
This tradition dates back to the Middle Ages, and suggests that the first person over the threshold on New Year's Day will bring good luck to the home. The 'first footer' has to go through a particular sequence to make this actually happen; they have to enter through the front door, leave behind a fresh loaf of bread on the table, pour a glass of whiskey or wine for the head of the household, and they're only allowed to say 'Happy New Year' to anyone they meet. After that, they must leave through the back door, peacefully and without any further interaction.
Folks, have you ever celebrated New Year in Great Britain? What was it like?

AmarantaDate: Wednesday, 26.09.2012, 01:38 | Message # 2
Monitor
Group: Users
Awards: 0
As for me, I have never celebrated New Year in Great Britain. To tell the truth, I`m not too much upset about it. My precious dream is to celebrate this wonderful holiday in Denmark! This is a really wonderful land at this period of time! There are many garlands all over the streets and places, happy people in festive attire and of course lots of Christmas trees!!! But the core are fairy houses looking like spice-cakes! It`s fantastic!!!!

PashkaaDate: Thursday, 27.12.2012, 23:29 | Message # 3
Union organizer
Group: Reliable
I'm tired of New Year in Russia. I want to try something new. And I'd like to spend this time in Great Britain. I think it help me to learn more about Britain culture and just have a good time. smile

Johnny_BravoDate: Friday, 04.01.2013, 14:16 | Message # 4
Union organizer
As for me there are no so huge differences between celebrating New Year in Britain or in Russia. It is just the same holiday. But i really want to celebrate Christmas in Britain. It is wonderful. Shining streets and smiling people. All like in "Christmas story" by Dickens.

Added (04.01.2013, 14:16)
---------------------------------------------

(Pashkaa)
I'm tired of New Year in Russia. I want to try something new. And I'd like to spend this time in Great Britain. I think it help me to learn more about Britain culture and just have a good time.

Oh it is really impossible to understand. Why are you tired of New Year in Russia? Maybe a lot of whiskey an cola? biggrin

Message edited by Johnny_Bravo - Friday, 04.01.2013, 14:11

PashkaaDate: Sunday, 06.01.2013, 19:00 | Message # 5
Union organizer
(Johnny_Bravo)
Oh it is really impossible to understand. Why are you tired of New Year in Russia? Maybe a lot of whiskey an cola?

Maybe maybe biggrin but actually, Every New Year only one thing happens: I just get drunk. Monotony... smile

Nastay62rusDate: Tuesday, 08.01.2013, 06:19 | Message # 6
Union organizer
It is commonly believed that New Year's Day is less important in England than Christmas. It is true in the southern and eastern parts of the country. However, even there, the welcoming of the New Year is growing in popularity, particularly among younger people who prefer to spend Christmas with kin, but New Year with friends. New Year's parties go all night through.

PerilovaDate: Friday, 08.02.2013, 21:41 | Message # 7
Head teacher
Quote (Nastay62rus)
It is commonly believed that New Year's Day is less important in England than Christmas. It is true in the southern and eastern parts of the country. However, even there, the welcoming of the New Year is growing in popularity, particularly among younger people who prefer to spend Christmas with kin, but New Year with friends. New Year's parties go all night through.

How do you usually spend New Year and Christmas ? Would you like to spend New Year in Britain ? Do you know about the Britain traditions to celebrate New Year and Christmas ? What traditions to celebrate New Year in Russia do you know ?

:)Date: Monday, 18.02.2013, 21:23 | Message # 8
Union organizer
I think that New Year can be wounderful in any country.The most things for it are many tasty food,many friends and good mood.If you have this things you will celebrate this holliday very well!!!

PerilovaDate: Saturday, 09.03.2013, 15:46 | Message # 9
Head teacher
I know several  traditions of celebrating The New Year in Great Britain. 
 British people always open the back door of the house when the clock strikes midnight to spend  last year. But with the last stroke of the clock they open the front door of the house to let in new year.
They always decorate their houses before The New Year. The main attribute of this holiday is a fir-tree. 
In this country people don't give expensive gifts to each other for the New Year. They share gifts by lot.

PashkaaDate: Sunday, 10.03.2013, 12:36 | Message # 10
Union organizer
Quote (Perilova)

Would you like to celebrate The New Year in Great Britain?

PerilovaDate: Sunday, 10.03.2013, 21:15 | Message # 11
Head teacher
Quote (Pashkaa)
Quote (Perilova)

Would you like to celebrate The New Year in Great Britain?

Yes, i want to celebrate The New Year in Great Britain. It would be interesting. What about you ?

ValerkaDate: Thursday, 04.09.2014, 21:55 | Message # 12
Union committee president
Now i can say without a doubt that i would like to celebrate New Year in Great Britain. I have already made acquaintance with culture of UK. And to be honest, i was taken aback. Of course, every country has some advatages and disadvantages. So, Uk isn't an exception.  If you ask me about british leisure, so, you will find a lot of entertaining places( some pubs, cafes, restaurants where you can eat their traditional food fish&chips and drink  a ginger beer)But when it comes to another food, i was disappointed  at it. Of course, everybody has a different taste, but i acn say exaclty that it isn't for. As i have already said Uk would be a good choice if you decided to spent your holiday there.

ZhgutikDate: Thursday, 04.09.2014, 23:05 | Message # 13
Union organizer
As for me, I believe that this is a good idea to spend New Year in the UK. It will be incredible to feel the atmosphere of the holiday among people who belong to completely another culture, to see how shop windows change their assortment and shops become full of people who are anxious about buying appropriate presents for their close peolpe and to see how different garlands appear on the houses of local people. But even for the sake of such moments you can't leave your close people in this family holiday!! xmas santa   xmas

Forum » ENGLISH LANGUAGE AND ENGLISH SPEAKING CULTURE » Life in the UK » New Year in Great Britain
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024