THE WORLD OF ENGLISH Monday, 06.05.2024, 07:54
Welcome Guest | RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Forum moderator: Teacher  
Forum » ENGLISH LANGUAGE AND ENGLISH SPEAKING CULTURE » Life in the UK » April Fool's Day
April Fool's Day
LuckDate: Tuesday, 22.12.2009, 23:03 | Message # 1
Union organizer
Group: Friends
Awards: 5
In Britain, fooling at this time of year has gone on for centuries, however the origin of the custom still remains obscure. There are several theories to account for it.
One theory is that in Europe, until the sixteenth century, March 25th, the first day of the Vernal Equinox Festival, was New Year's Day. On April 1st, the last day of the festival, people used to give presents to one another. In 1564, Charles IX, the French king, adopting the Gregorian calendar and fixed January 1st as New Year's Day. Those who were against the revision continued to express their complaints by giving presents or paying New Year's visits on April 1st. In the following years, these traditionalists who insisted on celebrating the New Year at its old time were mocked as fools and people would play pranks and tricks on them and called them ` Poisson d'avril ', meaning April Fish. This must have been so much fun that it spread all over the world and people played tricks on everyone, not just the people who didn't accept the new calendar.
Other people say it's just a continuation of a festival in honour of the Celtic god of Mirth but most popular belief is that it's a reaction to the change in season and the start of spring. Whatever its origin, making fools of people on this day remains one of the most flourishing of all British customs.
In Scotland, for example, April Fool's Day is actually celebrated for two days. The second day is devoted to pranks involving the posterior region of the body. It is called Taily Day.
Even the television stations and newspapers get in on the act.
Some of the more famous April Fool's include.
• A report that hawks carrying cameras would be used on the motorways by police to catch speeding motorists.
• A news report about sheep with grass growing on their backs because the weather was so wet.
• Numerous news reports about official sightings of the Loch Ness monster.
• A documentary on Spaghetti was broadcasted a few years ago by the BBC claiming that spaghetti grew on trees .
Some companies get in on the act too - BMW run a spoof advert every year.
• A full-page BMW car advertisement was run on On 1 April 1986, about their new car for driving between Great Britain and the Continent. It was both left and right hand drive, had pedals on both driver's and passenger's side, had a detachable steering wheel which could go either side and a full set of instruments on each side, the unused one being covered by a lovely walnut panel. (I would have bought one!)
• A mechanism that inflated the car tyres automatically was described by BMW one year.
Basically don't believe anything you read, hear or are told on April 1st!

RinaDate: Sunday, 03.01.2010, 20:29 | Message # 2
Union committee president
Awards: 4
Well, Luck, I'm too interested in one thing - what made you write about April in the begging of winter? Do you miss warm and green leaves? )))
But still, the info is funny smile Especially, I liked this BMW's spoof biggrin And which one did you like most?

Message edited by Rina - Sunday, 03.01.2010, 20:30

MegastarostaDate: Monday, 04.01.2010, 21:32 | Message # 3
Union organizer
Awards: 2
hahaha, i think not only Luck misses this holiday. As for me, i also miss it. Dont you find this day crazy? I do! And it will be really cool if we celebrate this holiday for two days. Hmmm, in this case i will have the whole two days for making jokes with my lovely group mates biggrin

Added (04.01.2010, 21:32)
---------------------------------------------
I just wanted to add another one holiday - a Bank holiday.
A bank holiday is an official holiday when all banks and post offices are closed. There are two bank holidays in Britain. One is in the last Monday in Mai. It calls a Spring Bank Holiday and the second is in August, in the last Monday in August. In these days most factories, offices, shops are closed too.

TanyaDate: Tuesday, 05.01.2010, 21:17 | Message # 4
Course monitor
Sometimes people are very inventive especially when it concerns holidays. Let’s invent our own holiday!!! biggrin

8davids8Date: Tuesday, 05.01.2010, 22:17 | Message # 5
Union organizer
Group: Admins
The group's day, for example!!))

RinaDate: Tuesday, 05.01.2010, 22:52 | Message # 6
YEEEEP)))) cool idea, but not a new one. But still, everything we have to do is just to think about it's date.

MissJaneDate: Tuesday, 05.01.2010, 23:50 | Message # 7
Union organizer
Awards: 3
Quote (Rina)
But still, everything we have to do is just to think about it's date.

no, that's not all. what shall we do on this day? just visiting some cafe won't make this day special! we need to think up a kind of tradition, like the tradition of April Fool's Day=)

Quote (Luck)
A news report about sheep with grass growing on their backs because the weather was so wet.

ha, that's droll. I heard two years ago that a fisherman caught a fish with fur on its sides...

RinaDate: Wednesday, 06.01.2010, 00:35 | Message # 8
Quote (MissJane)
just visiting some cafe won't make this day special! we need to think up a kind of tradition

Yes, good idea. I guess we should think it over. I do hope that our dear groupmates can create really cool traditions wink It just demands some time and some imagination.

MegastarostaDate: Wednesday, 06.01.2010, 11:30 | Message # 9
Union organizer
Quote (Rina)
I do hope that our dear groupmates can create really cool traditions

yeeeeees))) your megastarosta will create smth unusual for us, by the way we have an equator this year)))))

But guys, dont forget about the topic of this thread. Its not about our traditions, it's about ENGLAND wink

TanyaDate: Thursday, 07.01.2010, 16:50 | Message # 10
Course monitor
I found another one. One of the most bizarre and yet exciting traditions is the sport of CHEESE ROLLING. The participants chase a large, round Gloucestershire cheese which is rolled down the hill. With little chance of catching it, the winner is the first one to the bottom of the hill.

AyayuliaDate: Sunday, 28.02.2010, 23:42 | Message # 11
Union organizer
I've found one more joke of TV station.
In 2008, the BBC reported on a newly discovered colony of flying penguins. An elaborate video segment was even produced, featuring Terry Jones (Welsh comedian, screenwriter, actor, film director, children's author, popular historian, political commentator and TV documentary host) walking with the penguins in Antarctica, and following their flight to the Amazon rainforest.

ekanikaDate: Friday, 25.05.2012, 11:19 | Message # 12
Monitor
Group: Users
Awards: 0
You Know What They Say About Fools...

It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and leave no doubt. --Mark Twain
However big the fool, there is always a bigger fool to admire him. -- Nicolas Boileau-Despréaux
[Politicians] never open their mouths without subtracting from the sum of human knowledge. -- Thomas Reed
He who lives without folly isn't so wise as he thinks. -- François, Duc de La Rochefoucauld
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools. -- Herbert Spencer
Sometimes one likes foolish people for their folly, better than wise people for their wisdom. -- Elizabeth Gaskell
Looking foolish does the spirit good. -- John Updike
Let us be thankful for the fools. But for them the rest of us could not succeed. -- Mark Twain
A fool sees not the same tree that a wise man sees. -- William Blake
A fool must now and then be right by chance. -- Cowper
It is better to be a fool than to be dead. -- Stevenson
The first of April is the day we remember what we are the other 364 days of the year. -- Mark Twain

Nastay62rusDate: Tuesday, 08.01.2013, 06:23 | Message # 13
Union organizer
April Fool’s Day or all Fool’s Day is the first of April. The fun of the holiday is to play silly but harmless jokes on family members and friends. The victim of these jokes is called an April fool

:)Date: Monday, 18.02.2013, 21:29 | Message # 14
Union organizer
Oh my God!I don't like this stupid day!All people joking and laughing at you.It is not a good idea to do this things...

PerilovaDate: Monday, 04.03.2013, 12:16 | Message # 15
Head teacher
Group: Reliable
Quote (Nastay62rus)
April Fool’s Day or all Fool’s Day is the first of April. The fun of the holiday is to play silly but harmless jokes on family members and friends. The victim of these jokes is called an April fool

Do you like when your friends make jokes on you for the first of April ? Do you remember some jokes ?

Forum » ENGLISH LANGUAGE AND ENGLISH SPEAKING CULTURE » Life in the UK » April Fool's Day
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024