THE WORLD OF ENGLISH Friday, 29.03.2024, 04:31
Welcome Guest | RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Forum moderator: Teacher  
Forum » ENGLISH LANGUAGE AND ENGLISH SPEAKING CULTURE » Life in the USA » Life in the USA (Thanksgiving Day)
Life in the USA
MegastarostaDate: Tuesday, 05.01.2010, 18:56 | Message # 1
Union organizer
Group: Friends
Awards: 2
Thanksgiving Day is marked on the fourth Thursday of November. It's typically american holiday.
Day of Gratitude ( Thanksgiving Day) - a family holiday, native and all friends gather from all country to sit behind a table, full of very delicious and tasty things. The day before all airports of America are overflowed, and roads are hammered by cars. It seems, all country starts moving to keep up to a home where there are generations, insults are forgotten and the best is recollected that happens for a year.
Children sit behind a table . Since they remember themselves, they also remember also slow generosity of Day of Gratitude, its special pacified spirit. After meal somebody from adults will necessarily tell: “For what we are grateful this year?” – and everyone will reflect on this, and then by turns will tell: “I am grateful that...”
It is impossible to predict answers. They can be serious or playful, practical or sentimental, with tears in the face of or with an ironical smile. Likely, that you speak is important at all, and of what you you think and as respond to a question – with open soul as if it having appeared for a second in an invisible temple.
There are traditions that people follow. For example, the traditional food in
this day are turkey, a sweet potato, cranberry sauce, a pumpkin pie.

TeacherDate: Thursday, 07.01.2010, 15:02 | Message # 2
Head teacher
Group: Admins
Awards: 0
Guys, what do you think, will it be good to have such a holiday in our country?

In Vino Veritas...

MegastarostaDate: Thursday, 07.01.2010, 16:56 | Message # 3
Union organizer
I think no, because we didn't have such events in our history. Thanksgiving day - is a historical holiday ( i hope everybody knows the history of this holiday).

RinaDate: Thursday, 07.01.2010, 18:34 | Message # 4
Union committee president
Awards: 4
Quote (Seagull)
will it be good to have such a holiday in our country?

Seagull, if I'm not mistaken, you are always against any TRADITION borrowings, saying that Russian people have their own culture... And in this case I agree with your permanent opinion. As Megastarosta has mentioned, the history of Thanksgiving Day makes this holiday quite a unique one. That's why it's not acceptable to borrow this tradition.

TeacherDate: Thursday, 07.01.2010, 20:45 | Message # 5
Head teacher
Group: Admins
Rina, I'm not against foreign traditions. I'm against forgetting our traditions because of getting foreign ones... I don't mean the same holiday! I mean the holiday of that kind. But, as far as I can judge, we've already have some family holidays such as New Year or Christmas... And I've only asked a question without showing my point of view. smile

In Vino Veritas...

RinaDate: Monday, 08.02.2010, 10:44 | Message # 6
Awards: 4
Quote (Seagull)
Rina, I'm not against foreign traditions

Oh...So, I was mistaken)))) Sorry))
Well, you've mentioned "the day of that kind"... You know what I'm thinking about? About the 11th of January. This day is called as "The international day of "THANK YOU"))))) You know what I'm hinting at? wink

MissJaneDate: Sunday, 21.03.2010, 22:52 | Message # 7
Union organizer
Awards: 3
There also exists World Gratitude Day which is commemorated on the 21st of September. But to my mind, neither the 11th of January, nor the day in September can gain enough popularity with Russian people because, as all of you have already said, there are no historical roots for this special day in our country. Russians won't celebrate the holiday unless it is turned into an official one (an extra day-off is desirable) biggrin

AyayuliaDate: Sunday, 28.03.2010, 18:45 | Message # 8
Union organizer
But we have "the Sunday of Forgiveness". Every country has its customs

NadyaDate: Tuesday, 08.03.2011, 11:53 | Message # 9
Group: Moders
Another greatest national holiday in the USA is Independence Day. Another name for the holiday is July Fourth. The Fourth of July is the birthday of the United States.On this day in 1776 the American colonies declared their independence from Great Britain and adopted the Declaration of Independence. Ever since 1776 Americans have celebrated their liberty on the Fourth of July. It is celebrated throughout the country. People don't work on this day- it's a day off. Many businesses are closed, no mail is delivered and the government offices are closed. People often gather for picnics. Many cities have parades, concerts, shows and sport events. Fireworks have always been a part of this holiday.

natasha001Date: Tuesday, 20.09.2011, 16:45 | Message # 10
Student
Group: Users
I can say for sure that americans love holidays and especially their traditional ones like thanksgiving & fourth of July Halloween & Christmas. They usually start to get prepared for it a couple weeks before the h smile oliday. My family sent invitation cards to all the relatives from different states, made a shopping list and went shopping the day before the holiday. Cooking is an important part too. Turkey with cranberry sauce and mashed potatoes is really delicious, believe me. And of course the main part of their holidays is to unite family members together and to get to know each other better. In my host family we usually had around 30-40 family members at our holidays, and it was loooots of fun.

ekanika1453Date: Friday, 30.03.2012, 14:04 | Message # 11
Student
The United States is a young country. Its written history is only a few hundred years old. It is sometimes, in fact, called the «New World». Over the last four hundred years millions of people have come to start a new life in this «New World». Americans are not afraid of new ideas. They built the first skyscrapers and they put the first man on the Moon. They like to be modern. They like exciting, modern cities, new houses, and new cars. At the same time, Americans love old things. They like to visit historic houses and museums. They build old pioneer houses and remember the days of «Wild West». Americans are interested in old traditions, but they are good at making new traditions too

ArchieDate: Sunday, 01.04.2012, 15:42 | Message # 12
Monitor
I think life in USA for native is much more comfortable than in Russia. But for foreigner it is not so comfortable. Foreigners cannot use all the social services there. A foreigner is treated worse than a native. So, there's no sence for us to go there.

Angel757Date: Friday, 25.05.2012, 10:50 | Message # 13
Monitor
Sport clubs are characteristic youth organizations in the USA. They unite people, who are interested in baseball, football, basketball, golf, etc. You can attend any club: from theater clubs to bird-watching clubs. Bird-watching clubs are very popular, especially in Great Britain.
And at the age of 14 children have regular part-time job to earn some pocket money. Some young people work in their church organizations. They help elderly people or work in hospital.

SamsikDate: Monday, 28.05.2012, 12:03 | Message # 14
Monitor

Living in the USA

You will find this section a useful guide to living in the United States throughout your stay in the USA. It explains everything from the basics, such the US monetary and banking system, to the intricacies of clothing sizes and national holidays. It also includes tips on how to stay safe, secure, and healthy.

natasha001Date: Thursday, 30.08.2012, 15:43 | Message # 15
Student
[color=orange]Living in the USA is totally awesome!Wheather you are are a high school student, college student or adult. Their attitude to life is more positive than ours, they have time to spend on their family activities, but at the same time on friends and hobbies! They live in houses and can be loud any time of day and night and nobody will judge them. They travel a lot. Americans move from town to town from state to State with all their families just because one of the parents found a better job. And their food tastes better.Definetly biggrin

Forum » ENGLISH LANGUAGE AND ENGLISH SPEAKING CULTURE » Life in the USA » Life in the USA (Thanksgiving Day)
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024