THE WORLD OF ENGLISH Wednesday, 24.04.2024, 04:42
Welcome Guest | RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Forum moderator: Teacher  
Forum » ENGLISH LANGUAGE AND ENGLISH SPEAKING CULTURE » Life in Australia » Christmas in Australia
Christmas in Australia
LuckDate: Sunday, 13.12.2009, 13:27 | Message # 1
Union organizer
Group: Friends
Awards: 5
For anyone expecting Santa arriving in a sledge, Christmas in Australia is a different affair.
If you are used to white snow, cold weather, buying a fresh cut fir tree, gathering around the dinner table on the Christmas Eve for a big feast, forget all that.
And open your mind to a new experience.
It is a holiday season but not just a short break over a week.
It is the big summer (!!! It's quite strange for us, isn't it? biggrin ) holiday.

Imagine a beautiful, sunny morning, with light blue skies. Your family gathers around the richly decorated artificial tree (better for the environment) to open all the gift boxes and bags.
Then imagine a big feast but not indoors and not necessarily for dinner.
It is for lunchtime and happens on the beach, in the park or on the deck of your home. And it happens on the Christmas day rather than on the Eve.
Lunch comes with prawns and lobster, as the famous Australian actor Paul Hogan was recommending in his "throw another shrimp on the barbie" ad.
The treat also includes the traditional ham, turkey and the Australian Christmas pudding.

Well...our Christmas or New Year's Day are really different from the Australian one:)

8davids8Date: Sunday, 13.12.2009, 13:39 | Message # 2
Union organizer
Group: Admins
Awards: 2
Thank you, cap!!

RinaDate: Sunday, 13.12.2009, 15:23 | Message # 3
Union committee president
Awards: 4
biggrin Well... as for me, I can't imagine New Year or Christmas without shining snow, long crystal icicles and -10C )))) And the way these holidays are celebrated in Australia (on the beach under the burning sun) doesn't fascinate me much... May be, that's because everybody prefers something that is familiar... or may be, just because I don't like summer... but still, I'm interested... what about you? Would you like to celebrate Christmas in Australia one day?

MissJaneDate: Sunday, 13.12.2009, 23:43 | Message # 4
Union organizer
Awards: 3
Quote (Rina)
Would you like to celebrate Christmas in Australia one day?

No, I would not. I adore winter and for me New Year is firmly associated only with this season.
If we celebrated New Year in summer, I would terribly miss our kind Father Frost :(((

AsyaDate: Sunday, 20.12.2009, 23:05 | Message # 5
Group: Moders
Awards: 6
Quote (Rina)

No, I wouldn't. I'd miss the frost, the snow that creaks when stepping on it and the snowflakes falling. Everything's so mysterious and fairy. And there's nothing enigmatic in the sun.

RinaDate: Tuesday, 22.12.2009, 22:37 | Message # 6
Awards: 4
Quote (Asya)
And there's nothing enigmatic in the sun.

YES!!!! that's it! I've always tried to explain why I don't like sunny days, but I've always failed biggrin just because I couldn't find the right word)) But everything turned out to be so... simple. Yes, "nothing enigmatic in the sun". Any sunny day being compared with any winter evening with its snowfall, snining ice and dancing snowflakes, seems to be dull and banal...

Message edited by Rina - Tuesday, 22.12.2009, 22:38

LuckDate: Tuesday, 22.12.2009, 23:08 | Message # 7
Union organizer
Awards: 5
Girls, I agree with both of you. It's too strange to celebrate Christmas or New Year WITHOUT snow!!! Well...but as you see this year we shouldn't worry about it at all:)

TanyaDate: Saturday, 26.12.2009, 22:40 | Message # 8
Course monitor
I also agree with everybody of you, of course it is strange! But on the other hand it will be a really unusual experience for everybody of us to celebrate Christmas or New Year in Australia!!! As for me I am ready to try something new.

MegastarostaDate: Tuesday, 05.01.2010, 18:59 | Message # 9
Union organizer
Quote (MissJane)

yyyyyyeesss, as for me, i dream about it!!! actually i want to celebrate it on the beach, with my friends and a Christmas tree, that stands in sand. wooo, that will be very very cool! surprised wink biggrin

TeacherDate: Thursday, 07.01.2010, 15:11 | Message # 10
Head teacher
Awards: 0
Different nations have different stereotypes. I'd like to celebrate Christmas in Australia. Actually, I'm a little bit tired of our New Year and need something new...

In Vino Veritas...

MegastarostaDate: Thursday, 07.01.2010, 17:00 | Message # 11
Union organizer
Quote (Seagull)
I'm a little bit tired of our New Year

What do you mean by saying that? wacko New Year is the same in every country. because it is one holiday for all of us))))

TeacherDate: Thursday, 07.01.2010, 20:47 | Message # 12
Head teacher
Megastarosta, I mean that the atmosphere of our New Year starts to irritate me... Never mind, it's just my thoughts connected with my life.

In Vino Veritas...

8davids8Date: Thursday, 07.01.2010, 23:22 | Message # 13
Union organizer
It seems that not only you. The thing irritates me as well....

AyayuliaDate: Monday, 15.02.2010, 14:15 | Message # 14
Union organizer
Quote (Rina)

I think it must be very unusual to celebrate New Year in the broiling sun. But such a temperature drop during the trip may have a bad influence on the health.

ArchieDate: Monday, 28.05.2012, 10:36 | Message # 15
Monitor
Group: Users
Christmas in Australia is often very hot. Whereas the northern hemisphere is in the middle of winter, Australians are baking in summer heat. It is not unusual to have Christmas Day well into the mid 30 degrees Celsius, or near 100 degrees Fahrenheit.
A traditional meal includes a turkey dinner, with ham, and pork. A flaming Christmas plum pudding is added for dessert. In the Australian gold rushes, Christmas puddings often contained a gold nugget. Today a small favor is baked inside. Whoever finds this knows s/he will enjoy good luck. Another treat is Mince Pies.

Forum » ENGLISH LANGUAGE AND ENGLISH SPEAKING CULTURE » Life in Australia » Christmas in Australia
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024