THE WORLD OF ENGLISH Friday, 03.05.2024, 15:44
Welcome Guest | RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum moderator: Teacher  
Forum » ENGLISH LANGUAGE AND ENGLISH SPEAKING CULTURE » Pronunciation and Intonation » Pronunciation and Intonation (Pronunciation)
Pronunciation and Intonation
Former-TeacherDate: Friday, 30.04.2010, 10:23 | Message # 16
Dean
Group: Admins
Awards: 2
Ayayulia, let's post any lecture for a try. Talk to Max to start a new section in the MENU - THEORY OF PHONETICS. Then we'll think what to do next.

TeacherDate: Friday, 30.04.2010, 12:43 | Message # 17
Head teacher
Group: Admins
Awards: 0
Teacher, probably, we can post the most important information about phonetics. We also can upload some practical material.

In Vino Veritas...

AyayuliaDate: Monday, 18.04.2011, 17:38 | Message # 18
Union organizer
Group: Friends
Awards: 2
I think that it is difficult to learn pronunciation by yourself, so posting our lectures has more theoretical than practical usage.

MissJaneDate: Friday, 03.06.2011, 22:10 | Message # 19
Union organizer
Group: Friends
Awards: 3
I have a question in my mind as (like many of you) I have a few pupils to whom I teach English. So some get real progress and can pronounce English words perfectly right; and some have a complete 'porridge' in their mouths. That made me wonder whether the skills of correct pronouncing and imitating are inborn. Or is everything achieved only with the help of tedious work (listening to records, repeating the intonation patterns)? Or is the practice just a refining tool in the process of acquiring good pronunciation?

RosebudDate: Friday, 18.05.2012, 10:17 | Message # 20
Monitor
Group: Users
This is not a secret that our understanding of speech directly depends on good pronunciation and correct intonation. As we've already known from the course of theoretical phonetics, one and the same sentence may have different meanings. It depends on intonation. So, if you want people to understand you correctly, you should know some things about intonation deal where what tone must be used for example and so on. And of course, each time we must observe our pronunciatio, making our speech clear and melodious.

Message edited by Rosebud - Sunday, 20.05.2012, 21:33

Strawberry1992Date: Friday, 25.05.2012, 00:19 | Message # 21
Monitor
Intonation is the most important thing in English. Very often the understanding depends on intonation. If you speak with the wong intonation, you will have a risk to be not understood. For example, even the word "hello" pronounced with different intonations, have several meanings. Pronuncation, of course, is also important, but intonation is more important than pronuncation.

Nikky0638Date: Wednesday, 12.09.2012, 11:06 | Message # 22
Monitor
Intonation is a set of specific characteristics of sentence, which are very important in speech.It helps us not only to tell, but also ask for something. Thanks to it we can make our speech emotionally rich - express surprise, frustration, resentment, anger, admiration,etc. Pronuncation is a difficult process which closely connected with the knowledge of English transcription. You have to work hard and improve it because not everybody can understand you if you wil say wrong, also it is pleasantly to hear people with the correct pronunciation without mangling the language.

Message edited by Nikky0638 - Wednesday, 12.09.2012, 11:07

NadyaDate: Sunday, 23.09.2012, 13:58 | Message # 23
Union committee president
Group: Moders
Everybody knows that the first year students are making plenty of exercises in oder to have good pronounciation:they train their intonation, breathing and so forth. The Russian language is much more simple in this way- you can say anything you want with any intonation and everything will be alright (of course, the purpose of your communication can be different). But in the English language everything goes in a different way.
Actually, I think that it's necessary to possess both good pronounciation and knowledge of English grammar and vocabulary. For example, it's pretty hard to understand what a person with bad pronounciation is trying to clear for you but there's no doubt that it's more difficult to talk to a person with perfect pronounciation but small vocabulary and awful grammar!
And do you find it difficult to make good pronounciation?? Are you doing all these exercises to speak like a real British??)))
As my sister once said, " If there's no exercising, there's no language" and I believe she's right))

Flower-girlDate: Wednesday, 26.09.2012, 15:12 | Message # 24
Monitor
Awards: 1
Many people think that pronunciation is what makes up an accent. It may be that pronunciation is very important for an understandable accent. But it is intonation that gives the final touch that makes an accent native.

Intonation is the "music" of a language, and is perhaps the most important element of a good accent. Often we hear someone speaking with perfect grammar, and perfect formation of the sounds of English but with a little something that gives them away as not being a native speaker.

Therefore, it is necessary to realize that there is more than the correct pronunciation of the vowels and consonants of a language. This is very important and we do stress it in other articles. But it is only one of the three components to an accent, pronunciation, intonation, and linking.

mrsbukaleDate: Wednesday, 03.10.2012, 12:15 | Message # 25
Monitor
To use a perfect intonation and to talk excellently... we have to apply big efforts. Of course everyone understands that the best way is to inhabit in the country of the language but if a person doesn't have an opportunity to do it?! He should listen as much as possible during cooking food or washing the dishes. When you come home it's enough even if you turn on the television, you will hear a foreign speech and you'll notice that in few months you'll have a progress.

PerilovaDate: Thursday, 27.12.2012, 20:43 | Message # 26
Head teacher
Group: Reliable
In my opinion,pronunciation is the hardest thing in the study of language. It is impossible to have good pronunciation in a short time. I am sure perfect pronunciation is a matter of time. Another important thing is the desire to have a good pronunciation.

ValerkaDate: Thursday, 14.02.2013, 18:18 | Message # 27
Quote (Perilova)
In my opinion,pronunciation is the hardest thing in the study of language

Of course, it is natural. My dream to have good pronunciation. I hope i will achieve my aim!!! smile

PerilovaDate: Thursday, 14.02.2013, 23:00 | Message # 28
Head teacher
Quote (Valerka)
Quote (Perilova)
In my opinion,pronunciation is the hardest thing in the study of language

Of course, it is natural. My dream to have good pronunciation. I hope i will achieve my aim!!!

It is a good dream. I think we will have good pronunciation if we train it and make efforts for it.

ValerkaDate: Friday, 15.02.2013, 19:25 | Message # 29
Quote (Perilova)
It is a good dream. I think we will have good pronunciation if we train it and make efforts for it.

Of course, i agree with you. We will be the best teachers!!! tongue , Do you agree with me?

PerilovaDate: Saturday, 09.03.2013, 15:56 | Message # 30
Head teacher
Quote (Valerka)
Quote (Perilova)It is a good dream. I think we will have good pronunciation if we train it and make efforts for it.

Of course, i agree with you. We will be the best teachers!!! , Do you agree with me?

Of courseĀ  smile Do you think it is difficult to teach children ? But it seems, it is a very nice feeling when children understand you.

Message edited by Perilova - Saturday, 09.03.2013, 15:56

Forum » ENGLISH LANGUAGE AND ENGLISH SPEAKING CULTURE » Pronunciation and Intonation » Pronunciation and Intonation (Pronunciation)
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024