• Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: Seagull  
Forum » UNIVERSITY LIFE » Topics for Discsussion » showing off
showing off
ZuzuDate: Wednesday, 16.11.2011, 14:57 | Message # 1
Monitor
Group: Moders
Awards: 0
Today I’d like to speak about showing off. Is it helpful in life to be such a kind or not? Will it be useful for you in future or not? These questions are quite disputable. And it seems the answer will be as follows. Of course, you shouldn’t be a show-off. You should be exemplary, you shouldn’t have such silly thoughts as to be better than others, to stand out. But many people won’t agree with this statement. They believe that if people are not distinguished, they are indiscernible. Do you agree? If not, please, account for your ideas. smile

lovefootball)Date: Wednesday, 16.11.2011, 21:04 | Message # 2
Dean
Group: Users
Awards: 3
Haw-haw))) I think the root of all evil here is a wrong interpretation of human uniqueness! This wonderful principle is originally supposed to help people identify themselves as individuals with a good head on their shoulders, special talents and so on. I mean we're whole-hearted by nature! Showing off is a direct result of using this elevating truth for affronting. Yes, such a paradox. Still it's not a reason for rushing to another extreme, i.e. self-denial. We shouldn't be ashamed of our ego! Ego is wonderful, it's one of the main driving forces!) The point is just not to forget about respect, that's it.

RinaDate: Wednesday, 16.11.2011, 23:22 | Message # 3
Union committee president
Group: Friends
Awards: 4
Quote (Zuzu)
you shouldn't have such silly thoughts as to be better than others,

actually, why do you call it "silly thoughts"? Do you mean that "to be like others" or "to be worse than others" are clever thoughts? I do not think that a person should compare his achievements with those of other people at all. But if you DO compare, try to be "as good as" or even better. There's nothing criminal about one's desire to be better than others. Especially if it motivates and encourages him. BTW, I´d like to correct your statement))) You SHOULD ALWAYS do everything to become BETTER THAN YOU ARE NOW. That's the only way to self-development.

AsyaDate: Thursday, 17.11.2011, 00:11 | Message # 4
Union committee president
Awards: 6
haha, you know, Rina, you've "stolen my thoughts". When reading the article I quoted the same line and wanted to comment upon it but you had already done it. biggrin
Quote (Rina)
I do not think that a person should compare his achievements with those of other people at all.

I also think that we should compare our achievements to the previous ones so that we can follow our personal progress. But I suppose it's quite natural for people (especially for the ones with a low self-esteem) to compare themselves with the others. And draw certain conclusions. Like, "I'm worse that Mr X. Therefore, I'm not worthy". Or "I'm better that Mr Y. Therefore, I deserve being praised". That is why it's quite logical that every individual wants to be at least equal of not the best. Everybody likes being praised. And nobody likes to lose.
Quote (Rina)
You SHOULD ALWAYS do everything to become BETTER THAN YOU ARE NOW. That's the only way to self-development.

I think that the better way for self-improvement is to set a seemingly unachievable goal and try to reach it.

TeacherDate: Thursday, 17.11.2011, 10:47 | Message # 5
Head teacher
Group: Admins
Quote (Zuzu)
Is it helpful in life to be such a kind or not?

I can say YES. It is helpful for a person. But there can be some consequences that are negative for the person (I'm talking about rumours, negative attitude of others or smth. else).

Quote (Zuzu)
Of course, you shouldn’t be a show-off. You should be exemplary

Actually, to be exemplery to some extent means to show-off.

Quote (Zuzu)
you shouldn’t have such silly thoughts as to be better than others

Here I can agree with Rina, such thoughts are not always silly.

Quote (Zuzu)
They believe that if people are not distinguished, they are indiscernible.

I met very few people who has an idea that people are not distinguished.

In Vino Veritas...

ZuzuDate: Friday, 18.11.2011, 00:01 | Message # 6
Monitor
Ok, but recently some of you have said sorry to beautiful girls because the latter showed off. Don't you contradict yourselves? smile

lovelyflowerDate: Friday, 18.11.2011, 00:48 | Message # 7
Student
Today I’d like to speak about showing off

Showing-off is a very heterogeneous subject. In generall it helps people to be distinguished by others, to feel a master of the situation, and to show that you're worth something. But if we take a different view of it, we'll find out that there are some deep reasons for such a behaviour. In most cases it's a desire of a person to be hidden by the mask and this mask is created because of some inferiority complexes which torment her/him and don't let her/him live calmly. Another question is why we choose this way of deliverance from our inferiority complexes? confused

Message edited by lovelyflower - Friday, 18.11.2011, 00:52

lovefootball)Date: Friday, 18.11.2011, 20:47 | Message # 8
Dean
It's simple - best defence is offence) For some reason the first thing that crosses our mind is to find an appropriate creephole or an excuse (no matter whether it's ethical or not) in order to conceal our weaknesses. That's just the turn of things: the mechanism of self-defence always works perfectly, often even subconsciously. How!? You'll be talked about, criticize and what is worse mocked at! It's obvious that the first impulse is to invent some "thrick" to prevent such like things.

lovelyflowerDate: Friday, 18.11.2011, 23:01 | Message # 9
Student
But this "trick" won't work forever, at last it'll be revealed and people'll find out the essence of the person who shows off. So maybe it's easier to be oneself and then people'll reach for you? In my opinion, naturalness is the best means of showing your individuality. Do you agree with me?

lovefootball)Date: Wednesday, 30.11.2011, 19:44 | Message # 10
Dean
I agree with you....partially. Don't get me wrong, I'm against hypocrisy but we should take into account that human nature is many-sided. I mean one can't be the same at home, at the office, with friends in some rather informal situation, abroad, anywhere! For me such stubborn straightforwardness is impossible and actually short-sighted because you should realize quite clearly what this or that person or event may lead you to. This in turn presupposes certain correcting and fitting of behaviour.

strawberryDate: Monday, 02.04.2012, 00:53 | Message # 11
Monitor
It may be that people who show-off just feel uncertain. The want to catch somebody`s eye.. Or the other point of view: every man is uniq. we are like a books,so different, unpredictile and unperfect. we try to find individuality and want to be remembered. May be "show-off" is a way of self-expression. certainly the most important thing is understanding that show off mustn`t be the meaning of life

Forum » UNIVERSITY LIFE » Topics for Discsussion » showing off
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024