THE WORLD OF ENGLISH Sunday, 05.05.2024, 02:55
Welcome Guest | RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 2 of 2
  • «
Forum moderator: Seagull  
Forum » UNIVERSITY LIFE » Topics for Discsussion » The problem of job placement and labour-market
The problem of job placement and labour-market
lovefootball)Date: Saturday, 22.01.2011, 14:57 | Message # 16
Dean
Group: Users
Awards: 3
As far as I can make out, you aren't satisfied with such turn of things. Am I right? Does that make you feel proud or advanced? I really appreciate such eagerness but don't you think there's a possibility that trifles may confuse you and draw away from the main thing?

NekavaenDate: Monday, 07.02.2011, 23:57 | Message # 17
Head teacher
Awards: 1
I think perfectionism is a curse from heaven or a kind of mental disorder that can’t be cured. Sometimes it turns out to be inborn and originates in the nature of the person who possesses it. Still it's often formed by long years of strict upbringing and training.

The attitude to people who are ready do everything the boss asks them to do and spend hours fulfilling simple tasks may differ from sincere praise and worm sympathy to open mockery. I’ve got used to everything.

It is not human to be without shame and without desire. (Ursula K. Le Guin)

MissJaneDate: Tuesday, 08.02.2011, 00:06 | Message # 18
Union organizer
Group: Friends
I don't think you should be so determined about the traits of your characters which seem a hindrance to you. I'm sure people can change or adapt themselves to the situation or requirements they happen to face. So I reckon it wouldn't be very difficult for such a hardworking and purposeful person like you to get rid of something that you don't like. Or otherwise, let this peculiarity of yours be for the good! biggrin
Anyway, you shouldn't get used to everything! Just be what and who YOU want to be no matter what other people think of you and say to you!

lovefootball)Date: Tuesday, 08.02.2011, 19:31 | Message # 19
Dean
Agree, one shouldn't dance after somebody's pipe but complete disregard of others' opinions will make a person blind. It's very important to know how to coexist peacefully with others. There're some periods in our life when perfectionism is punished cruelly by peers. Of course, school is the most vivid example of the fact. At this time it's very important not to go to pieces, otherwise one may get serious complexes.

TeacherDate: Wednesday, 09.02.2011, 12:03 | Message # 20
Head teacher
Group: Admins
Awards: 0
To some extent being a perfectionist is good, especially when you are studying at Uni. But still, when you have a job, very often you just don't have enough time to correct all your mistakes and to do everything absolutely ideally. And sometimes, it's better to do your work in time having some shortcomings than to
Quote (Nekavaen)
start writing the whole text from the very beginning
. smile

In Vino Veritas...

lovefootball)Date: Wednesday, 09.02.2011, 19:35 | Message # 21
Dean
I've understood recently that we should have a grain of indifference. But just a grain! It doesn't interfere with business but cares for our peace of mind. Indeed, it's easy to go mad when you're trying to be the best in all spheres of your life. I know it by experience as I can sometimes become groundlessly irritable or sad and it's connected with my absorption in work.

Former-TeacherDate: Thursday, 10.02.2011, 10:04 | Message # 22
Dean
Group: Admins
Awards: 2
I am in two minds - to perfect or not to perfect. My mind goes over the second choice. I would vote for perfection. Three reasons for that:
1) perfection is a way of shaping your own world in which you want to exist and associate with others who adhere to the similar life principles;
2) perfection helps you discipline your personal ego and learn to care for others. In this case, perfection is a test for moral values: are you a thinking and careful person or, rather, are you a lop-sided dis-balanced personality?
3) perfection is a sign of one's ability to work hard and achieve the most.

Using these thoughts as life principles, one can construct their own life and find ways how to fit it into the common social framework and business culture.
Using these thoughts as life principles, one will definitely become a thoughtful leader who knows how to work, how not to impose on others but make others happy.

NekavaenDate: Wednesday, 23.02.2011, 09:32 | Message # 23
Head teacher
Awards: 1
I think perfectionists can become good ordinary workers. But I’m sure such people shouldn’t be appointed bosses. It’s obvious that the higher the post is, the more duties a person has. Just imagine how a true perfectionist worries about each trifle all the time!

In addition, a perfectionist is used to overworking and it’s not a problem for him or her to manage without sufficient sleep and food (as well as without amusement and private life) for a long time. Such a person puts his or her heart and soul into all tasks. It’s OK when this person works alone or belongs to a team but is responsible only for his or her own assignments. But when a perfectionist gets a chance to control others (normal people who can’t feel good without rest and fun), two ways are possible and they are both tragic.

Situation 1. If a perfectionist realizes that his or her subordinates don’t want to overwork and, more of that, don’t take usual duties too seriously, he or she, being a kind and spineless personality, will take all the burdens off their shoulders and make everything almost alone. It may result in serious health problems.

Situation 2. A perfectionist becomes a boss and turns the lives of all workers into hell. Thoroughness within reasonable limits really brings results; but can a furious perfectionist be reasonable when it comes to working? He or she will watch everybody, irritate everybody, rail at subordinates who make little mistakes…They all will cry listening to his or her morals and instructions.

It’s extremely difficult for a perfectionist to find a spouse and close friends. That’s why, such people are likely to live in solitude and die in dissatisfaction and despair thinking: “Gosh, I was afraid to lose control, but finally I’ve lost myself. I thought I was right chasing perfect order in deeds and thoughts, but now I see I’ve completely forgotten to strive for happiness”.

It is not human to be without shame and without desire. (Ursula K. Le Guin)

lovefootball)Date: Wednesday, 23.02.2011, 13:55 | Message # 24
Dean
H'm, I think the film "Black Swan" reflects the idea of perfection very precisely and freshly. As I've understood it, it shows the underside of the pursuit of ideal. All ideals are just illusions and perfection is fatal. It strikes people blind and deprives us of individuality. The film is very instructive because it shows that a person who has managed to reach perfection, is doomed to destruction.

MissJaneDate: Wednesday, 08.06.2011, 23:02 | Message # 25
Union organizer
Group: Friends
So we've come to the conclusion that perfection is the thing that impedes one's career or makes it a steep ladder to the roof. But what about perfection when seeking a job? Do we need to grasp any opportunity that comes to hand or should we scrupulously choose the only right path? Should we wait for the job of our dream? Or is it better to take up at least something, gain some experience and then patiently mouse around for a better job?

lovefootball)Date: Wednesday, 23.11.2011, 19:27 | Message # 26
Dean
Still I don't think it's an obstacle...actually it all depends on our perception. As for your question, I must admit that very often it's not a matter of our free will. You're lucky if you have necessary acquaintances or some other "paces" to settle everything at the start, you'll probably have to take not the most prestigious job in the world. Besides it's not a secret that work of many people isn't anyhow connected with their speciality...

SamsikDate: Monday, 28.05.2012, 11:48 | Message # 27
Monitor
Awards: 0
The role of private employment agencies in job placement has increased in importance in many European countries during the last decade, but in others the public employment services still exercise a monopoly. The following paper offers an assessment of the experiences to date.
This article is a revised version of a paper presented at the Fourth Maastricht Workshop in Law and Economics at the University of Limburg, April 25–27, 1991.

Forum » UNIVERSITY LIFE » Topics for Discsussion » The problem of job placement and labour-market
  • Page 2 of 2
  • «
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024