THE WORLD OF ENGLISH Sunday, 05.05.2024, 00:57
Welcome Guest | RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: Seagull  
Forum » UNIVERSITY LIFE » Topics for Discsussion » Our Unknown World (Unkown facts about the World)
Our Unknown World
RinaDate: Tuesday, 07.09.2010, 21:46 | Message # 1
Union committee president
Group: Friends
Awards: 4
Do you know what Balut-egg is and how it tastes? Have you ever heard that in some Indian tribes it's a great honour for a son to substitute his dead father and become his widow-mother's new husband? Have you ever dreamed about visiting Socotra archipelago which is described as the most alien-looking place on Earth because a third of its plant life is found nowhere else on the planet? Do we really know our world? And isn't it interesting to learn about the most isolated, strange and exotic places, countries, peoples and their traditions?

Former-TeacherDate: Thursday, 09.09.2010, 09:08 | Message # 2
Dean
Group: Admins
Awards: 2
Yes, curioisty leads to knowledge, it's just so interesting to learn and be knowledgeable. Rina, do you have any materials on the topic?
Everybody! Do you have any BBC popular science programmes on DVDs? You can buy in big supermarkets. I think we will use them for classes.

AyayuliaDate: Tuesday, 23.11.2010, 11:13 | Message # 3
Union organizer
I think that here, in“Our unknown world”section we should describe some interesting facts. For example, do you know that in Malaysia, the Philipines and Indonesia you can meet sea gypsies even now? They may live even in boats. When they are newborns, their tympanic membranes are perforated. That’s why they don’t feel any pain while diving.

Former-TeacherDate: Wednesday, 24.11.2010, 09:29 | Message # 4
Dean
Group: Admins
Did you know that c cup of drip brewed coffee has about 115 milligrams of caffeine, an espresso (and percolated coffee) about 80mg, while instant coffee has about 65mg of caffeine. Decaffeinated coffee is not totally caffeine free, containing about 3mg of caffeine. A 8oz can of Coca-Cola has about 23mg of caffeine, Pepsi Cola 25mg, Mountain Dew 36mg, and TAB 31mg. Tea has about 40mg of caffeine, while an ounce of chocolate contains about 20mg.
Did you know that the first Espresso machine was introduced in 1822 by the French, but it was the Italians who perfected and distributed it.

MissJaneDate: Friday, 26.11.2010, 10:35 | Message # 5
Union organizer
Awards: 3
Wow, never heard of that!
This is my portion of some interesting and unusual facts:
1. If you yelled for 8 years, 7 months and 6 days, you would have produced enough sound energy to heat one cup of coffee.
(Hardly seems worth it)
2. Banging your head against a wall uses 150 calories an hour.
3. Right-handed people live, on average, nine years longer than left-handed people do.
4. A cockroach will live nine days without it's head, before it starves to death.
5. Oak trees do not produce acorns until they are fifty years of age or older. biggrin

NekavaenDate: Saturday, 27.11.2010, 00:08 | Message # 6
Head teacher
Group: Users
Awards: 1
Very interesting! The 4th fact seems almost incredible but I believe it's true because cocroaches are famous for their unique survival capability.
I’ve found some more facts about our body that are really amazing from my point of view!
1) The human brain cell can hold 5 times as much information as the Encyclopedia Britannica.
2) The higher your IQ is, the more you dream.
3) Blondes have more hair than brunettes. Blondes usually have about 146,000 hair follicles while people with black hair tend to have only about 110,000.
4) Our eyes stay the same size from birth while noses and ears never stop growing.
5) We use 17 muscles when smiling and 43 when frowning.
Have you heard of that?

And speaking about strangeness in our world we can remember some American laws. They are really strange and dumb sometimes.
For example, in Illinois “it is illegal to speak English”. Everyone should speak…”American”!
In Indiana monkeys are not allowed to smoke cigarettes. Does anyone believe monkeys have ever tried to do it in public places?
In Chicago it’s forbidden to “offer lighted cigars or whiskey to domestic animals”.
In Kentucky it’s restricted by law to “transport an ice cream in your pocket”.
In Iowa people are supposed not to kiss longer than 5 minutes. Who will watch the time, I wonder?

It is not human to be without shame and without desire. (Ursula K. Le Guin)

Cherry_boomDate: Thursday, 20.01.2011, 18:57 | Message # 7
Student
Awards: 0
I like Americans who always discover interesting facts. Frankly speaking I doubt the validity of such researches but may be.. For example, if you eat chocolate at 9 a.m. it does not influence your weight. You can it in unlimited quantities. But remember! Only at 9 a.m.

strawberryDate: Monday, 10.09.2012, 11:42 | Message # 8
Monitor
Awards: 0
there are so much interesting in our world. do u know for example about the history of baseball bats

In the early year, there were no exact rules on how to play baseball. People can do anything they want in the game for free. The shape and size of a batter is not settled. Moreover, the people at that time used any types of wood until they found the highest material.
in our history exist the same play lapta and we also used different things before a bat has appeared

Forum » UNIVERSITY LIFE » Topics for Discsussion » Our Unknown World (Unkown facts about the World)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024