THE WORLD OF ENGLISH Saturday, 04.05.2024, 04:17
Welcome Guest | RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Forum moderator: Megastarosta  
Forum » MISCELLANEOUS - LIFE AS IT IS » Pets in our Life » Pet Therapy (Can our pets heal us? How can they do this?)
Pet Therapy
TeacherDate: Saturday, 13.11.2010, 23:44 | Message # 1
Head teacher
Group: Admins
Awards: 0
"Researchers are finding that pets truly have the power to heal their owners, especially the elderly. The most serious disease for older people is not cancer or heart disease, but loneliness. <...> Children who suffer from attention deficit disorder (ADD) are able to focus on a pet, which helps them learn to concentrate. <...> Everyone has the need to touch. Many humans are uncomfortable hugging or touching strangers, even those close to them. Some people are alone and have no hands to hold, no bodies to hug. But rubbing the fur of a cat or dog can provide a stimulation that is sorely lacking. The nonverbal connection is invaluable in the healing process." Read more about the topic.

And what do you think? Do animals really heal us? Is it physical or mental influence?

In Vino Veritas...

Former-TeacherDate: Monday, 15.11.2010, 09:42 | Message # 2
Dean
Group: Admins
Awards: 2
Pets can bring joy to our lives. Interacting with animals is good for our physical state of health as our happy minds release good hormones to help boost our immune system. This aids self-recovery. Pet therapy uses the unconditional love of the animal for a human being. Animals do not have reservations about making friends. They reach out to humans of all races, ages, sex and language. A pet is a universal adapter. Animals are simple minded in giving their love and expecting almost nothing in return.
Pets are being used in homesfor the elderly, rehabilitation hospitals, hospice care and other homes / patient care to provide a source of positive interaction for recovering patients. Before such pets are used for pet therapy, they need to be trained. Possible scenarios are enacted out with the trainer to expose the dog to different situations. Appropriate responses are taught to the dog. This is to prevent the animal from panicking when it faces a real situation. Animals who don't know how to react will show either a fight or flight response. Unfavorable responses from the animals will depress or upset the patients.
Pets used in convalescence therapy need strict health checks to be certified disease free. This safeguards against transmission of diseases from dog to patient. As the sick and aged have weak immunity systems, the possibility of transmission of diseases across species exist.
The dogs used in pet therapy must possess basic obedience skills which will help it handle unexpected or stressful situations. It must be able to sit down, walk calmly and behave coolly in the face of strangers and other disturbances. Dog socialization involves meeting different people so the dog must be trained to accept different types of petting and handling. The dog also needs to grow accustomed to people in wheelchairs, crutches or hospital beds. The animal that is trained will behave normally when it meets its patients. It will not bark noisily as it has been trained to accept these circumstances as normality for it.
The special training for pet therapy during convalescence is also available at most dog obedience schools.
If you need temporary pet friend, you can also try to request for a visiting pet and handler from your community's Kennel Club or other affiliated clubs which have the pet therapy programs.
Use this link to the YouTube to watch some of the pet therapy videoshttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbBguMj7bEg

TanyaDate: Thursday, 18.11.2010, 00:32 | Message # 3
Course monitor
Group: Friends
It is true that pet therapy is now being widely used and it is not a new idea. Animals can help us to cope not only with the problems of depression and loneliness but also with health problems. And I want to say about dolphin-child therapy. Dolphins can help children to cope with various development, physical and emotional disabilities. The therapy programm includes many educational and motivational activities. "Swimming with dolphins is so much fun that this company uses it to motivate disabled kids to work on a variety of skills. For every task a child masters, he or she gets to pet, stroke or swim with one of five dolphins and a therapist in an enclosed lagoon. Swimming with dolphins feels magical by anyone’s account. For children, it goes beyond their wildest imagination". And of course animals therapy successfully works. Animals can heal us! Read more http://www.mindsandsouls.org/animal-pet-therapy.html

AyayuliaDate: Saturday, 04.12.2010, 15:38 | Message # 4
Union organizer
As for me my cat helps me not to be nervous, and I think that he improved my health conditions also. Pets bring about positive emotions and may be this positivity makes us healthier.

SileneeeDate: Monday, 06.12.2010, 23:12 | Message # 5
Monitor
Group: Users
Pets are good friends,they treat us and make us calm when we are nervous.When a cat purs, it is such a pleasant sound.

NadyaDate: Tuesday, 07.12.2010, 20:44 | Message # 6
Union committee president
Group: Moders
Yeah, I completely agree with you. And what pets help us to make our mood better and to heal?

Cherry_boomDate: Friday, 21.01.2011, 00:08 | Message # 7
Student
If you are alone, pets help you to avoid such a feeling as loneliness. Especially, it's very important for old people. They understant that somebody world needs them in this cruel.

lovefootball)Date: Saturday, 19.03.2011, 19:58 | Message # 8
Dean
Awards: 3
Agree, that's of primary importance for a person - to feel his being necessary, no matter by whom. And as far as women are concerned, in some cases pets can become an object of their motherly instinct. Anyway, animals can really do miracles with people of all ages!

NekavaenDate: Sunday, 20.03.2011, 10:35 | Message # 9
Head teacher
Awards: 1
I believe you are right. I heard that 2 or 3 years ago all the convicts of one Russian prison were involved in taking care of homeless dogs. Instead of being killed, the animals got a new home. The prisoners’ duties included: washing and feeding their pets (all necessary equipment and forage were available for them); training the dogs; finding new owners using the Internet for advertising.

Needless to say that this program was accepted and put into practice very successfully. Murderers and swindlers were happy. They felt they were doing something truly noble and important. Playing with pets helped them to kill time and brought moral satisfaction. The most significant result lied in the fact that quarrels between the prisoners almost completely disappeared. Also the number of episodes of discipline violation decreased rapidly. That’s because being far away from their families and friends, the prisoners had finally found a safety-valve.

It is not human to be without shame and without desire. (Ursula K. Le Guin)

MegastarostaDate: Monday, 20.06.2011, 23:17 | Message # 10
Union organizer
I believe that only pet cant betray you and it will love you in spite of any difficulties. Scientists advise lonely people to have a pet because pets can make their life optimistic and bring joy in it. My grandparents had a dog, but unfortunately it died. Now my grandparents feel very lonely but they dont want to have a pet any more.

AmarantaDate: Thursday, 05.04.2012, 22:55 | Message # 11
Monitor
In my opinion, Pet Therapy is a great thing. I`m sure it can really heal people. I can prove it from my own experience. I have a cat Dina. I found her when I was 8. When she was a kitten, she was very disobedient. Having grown up, she became very smart and sensitive. Wnen I`m ill, she always comes to me and lies down near my body. It always helps me to recover. I believe she has a positive energy and transmits it to me. Thank her very much!!!

SamsikDate: Monday, 28.05.2012, 12:23 | Message # 12
Monitor
Allergy Fighters

"The old thinking was that if your family had a pet, the children were more likely to become allergic to the pet. And if you came from an allergy-prone family, pets should be avoided," says researcher James E. Gern, MD, a pediatrician at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, in the Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology.

However, a growing number of studies have suggested that kids growing up in a home with "furred animals" -- whether it's a pet cat or dog, or on a farm and exposed to large animals -- will have less risk of allergies and asthma, he tells WebMD.

In one study, Gern analyzed the blood of babies immediately after birth and one year later. He was looking for evidence of an allergic reaction, immunity changes, and for reactions to bacteria in the environment.

If a dog lived in the home, infants were less likely to show evidence of pet allergies -- 19% vs. 33%. They also were less likely to have eczema, a common allergy skin condition that causes red patches and itching. In addition, they had higher levels of some immune system chemicals -- a sign of stronger immune system activation.

"Dogs are dirty animals, and this suggests that babies who have greater exposure to dirt and allergens have a stronger immune system," Gern says.

:)Date: Friday, 28.12.2012, 00:24 | Message # 13
Union organizer
As for me my cat helps me don't be nervous.It can be very kind and affectionate.I like her very much.And my cat can heal.When I have a stomachache it lies on my stomach and helps me to feel good...

Little_MuDate: Friday, 28.12.2012, 12:28 | Message # 14
Union organizer
(:))
As for me my cat helps me don't be nervous.It can be very kind and affectionate.I like her very much.And my cat can heal.When I have a stomachache it lies on my stomach and helps me to feel good...

It's so kind))) How old is your cat? What is his name?

Johnny_BravoDate: Saturday, 05.01.2013, 23:13 | Message # 15
Union organizer
(:))

Oh it seems ubelievable but it's a fact dry Oh can you borrow me your cat? I think it will be nice if it cures some my diseases

Forum » MISCELLANEOUS - LIFE AS IT IS » Pets in our Life » Pet Therapy (Can our pets heal us? How can they do this?)
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024