• »
Forum moderator: Megastarosta  
Forum » MISCELLANEOUS - LIFE AS IT IS » Pets in our Life » Euthanasia for Pets
Euthanasia for Pets
Former-TeacherDate: Friday, 06.05.2011, 09:22 | Message # 1
Dean
Group: Admins
Awards: 2
Mercy killing and euthanasia are euphemisms for an act of taking one's life, simply killing. Do you think if mercy killing can be used with terminally sick pets?
About ten years ago, my neighbours dog went paralized due to the age factor (it was about 13 years old). It was evident that the dog would soon die. It refused to eat, move, look after itself. About a week passed, it got so thin and weak that I could hardly look at it! The neighbour fed it with a spoon, some sunflower oil, soup, water.... The dog could not lick its fur, so parazites attacked its skin. It was painful. Another week passed. ... One morning I found out that the neighbour had invited the local vet who had given the dog some poison. The dog died. The neighbour took it to the nearby woods and buried. The dog could have probably lived a little bit longer, a week, or two, or three...

AsyaDate: Saturday, 07.05.2011, 16:31 | Message # 2
Union committee president
Group: Moders
Awards: 6
I'm convinced that euthanasia can be used with terminally sick pets. To my mind, the life the dog you've described had to lead is no life at all. It is suffering, pain, despair, anguish! And it would have never ended. The only resolution was death. What to struggle for then??? Your neighbour just diminished the hours of the suffering of his pet. I respect him for that. I don't know whether I would be courageous enough to make such a complicated decision.

lovefootball)Date: Saturday, 07.05.2011, 19:17 | Message # 3
Dean
Group: Users
Awards: 3
I'm not sure either. Though I'm for it (if such cases are concerned), I doubt the fact that I possess this courage. Maybe, it's better to put the responsibility on someone else's shoulders? For example, parents or other family memebers can be involved...Well, the word "better" doesn't suit here,it's more honest to say "easier". By the way, can we point out some criteria that will help people to make a decision? I'm quite serious, mere pity or intuition are not enough!

RinaDate: Saturday, 07.05.2011, 21:08 | Message # 4
Group: Friends
Awards: 4
I tend to believe that in cases like that euthanasia is the only solution to the problem. Just imagine this poor dog - it was suffering from starvation, parazites, pain... and as far as I understood, there was no chance for rehabilitation. so, euthanasia was not just a killing, but certain deliverance.

NadyaDate: Tuesday, 10.05.2011, 20:46 | Message # 5
Group: Moders
Awards: 0
In my opinion, people can euthanatize their pets only in extreme situations (for example, if a pet is incurable or he is dying). It's better to save a pet from pain (even if killing sounds awful) than let your pet suffer. Looking at a suffering pet (inaction) isn't a way out. But everyone has their opinion about euthanasia and everyone decides himself/herself to kill their pet or not to kill.

NekavaenDate: Tuesday, 17.05.2011, 11:35 | Message # 6
Head teacher
Awards: 1
I vote for euthanasia. My Granny had a dog. When the animal was very old and weak, Granny decided to stop its sufferings. The dog couldn’t walk, refused to eat and cried all the time (yes, there were tears in its eyes). A half of its body was paralyzed, another half trembled in fits. It was hard to look at the dog and understand that it would never recover. So, euthanasia was an act of mercy…

It is not human to be without shame and without desire. (Ursula K. Le Guin)

LuckDate: Wednesday, 01.06.2011, 19:18 | Message # 7
Union organizer
Awards: 5
This is so hard to answer this question, to decide whether you are able to kill your own pet or not. I completely agree that it is always hard to look at animals who are half-paralized or can't walk or eat or do whatever else in a normal way. And probably euthonasia can be regarded as an act of mercy...so that you can stop your pet's sufferings...But I am just trying to imagine myself when I realise that my pet will never meet me again, that I will never be able to stroke and feed it...This is also hard. And I think I can't make a decision... Somewhere inside me I would understand that euthonasia would be a way out for the pet but I do not have such a strong will to say it aloud.

RinaDate: Wednesday, 01.06.2011, 19:35 | Message # 8
Yes, a lot depends on a person... Even if you understand that in this situation euthonasia is the only way out, you won't be able to do it with your own pet. Because when it comes to the creatures we love, we are guided by our emotions, not sense.

LuckDate: Tuesday, 07.06.2011, 00:15 | Message # 9
Union organizer
It is just a very hard decision to make. And you are right, in such moments our emotions prevail over common sense. But you know, I do not envy people who can easily say "yes, tomorrow my doggy should be dead". People should be compassionate as well.

RinaDate: Tuesday, 07.06.2011, 00:33 | Message # 10
Quote (Luck)
do not envy people who can easily say "yes, tomorrow my doggy should be dead".

It seems to be a very cruel joke... People who can say this are really heartless... sad

LuckDate: Tuesday, 07.06.2011, 21:45 | Message # 11
Union organizer
Yes, they are. And unfortunately there are so many people who torture their pets a lot, who can beat them or do not give food. How can we eradicate THIS problem? Unfortunately I do not believe it is possible to do that. But ok...we were talking about a bit different things...

SileneeeDate: Sunday, 04.09.2011, 22:33 | Message # 12
Monitor
I think it is the best way out from such a situation.I know some such cases when an animal really suffersa because of illness! Of course the best way is to make a pet avoid this.They can't tell us how terrible the pain is.May be such people are heartless but euthanasia stops their animal suffering.

RosebudDate: Thursday, 03.05.2012, 22:10 | Message # 13
Monitor
Recently I have lost my best friend - my favourite dog((. Lately she couldn't eat, she didn't eat anything and my pet became thiner and thiner. We thought that she was poisoned and our family worried seriously. My mother gave her injections and our dog seemed to get well, she even started to eat a little and bark. But soon she stoped eating again. Our pet was done US and it turned out that she had cancer. She looked very bad and we felt vey sorry for her. The doctor said that she would die soon. and to relieve her tortures our pet was done euthanasia. Maybe, it was really better her, it was the single way to avoid the pain(( I lack her very much. I often rememder my friend and tears appear on my eyes...

Message edited by Rosebud - Sunday, 20.05.2012, 21:45

AmarantaDate: Sunday, 20.05.2012, 20:49 | Message # 14
Monitor
To my mind, euthanasia is a rather cruel way of heloing your pet but it is. Thanks God I`ve never had such a problem but I can imagine how pets may be ill. They are terribly suffering from pain for houres and houres! I`m sure, if a pet can`t be cured, it must be given euthanasia. It`s more merciful than let your favourite pet suffer so much.

ArchieDate: Monday, 28.05.2012, 10:39 | Message # 15
Monitor
Emotionally speaking, all the preparation in the world is not necessarily going to make the decision any easier when you are faced with a terminally ill or dying pet and are trying to determine if it's time to let your pet go. The decision to euthanize a pet is one of the most personal, and sometimes the most difficult, decisions a caregiver can make. It would be difficult, if not impossible, for me to suggest a "correct" way to make such a decision. I strongly believe that this is a choice that each individual must make for his or her pet.

Forum » MISCELLANEOUS - LIFE AS IT IS » Pets in our Life » Euthanasia for Pets
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024