THE WORLD OF ENGLISH Saturday, 27.04.2024, 23:08
Welcome Guest | RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Forum moderator: Teacher  
Forum » FIRST SUCCESS AT LEARNING ENGLISH - FORUM FOR BEGINNERS » When I was Younger » I wish... (subjunctive)
I wish...
AsyaDate: Friday, 07.10.2011, 17:56 | Message # 1
Union committee president
Group: Moders
Awards: 6
Sometimes we say, "I wish it had happened". Sometimes we say, "I wish it hadn't happened". it's always very interesting to analyse what influences our life: decisions we make, goals we want to achieve...
Sometimes I say, "I wish I hadn't taken so much work as it's too difficult for me". And what about you?

ConsoleDate: Wednesday, 12.10.2011, 16:24 | Message # 2
Student
Group: Users
Awards: 0
I wish, I hadn’t been late to the lesson. I have missed interesting event.
I wish, I had done my homework. I would have got a five.
I wish, I had went to bed earlier. I would have slept enough.
I wish, I hadn’t gone for a walk. I wouldn’t have fallen ill.
I wish, I could stay young. I would be happy.
I wish, The Russian had been over quickly. I wouldn’t have been so tired.
I wish, I hadn’t been lazy. I would have done my homework quickly.
I wish, The weather hadn’t been bad. I would have gone for a walk.
I wish, I had holidays now. I would be free.

Message edited by Console - Saturday, 22.10.2011, 15:32

AsyaDate: Saturday, 15.10.2011, 10:10 | Message # 3
Console, I have some questions concerning staying young. Would you like to stay young forever? Why would you be happy if you could be young for a long time? What is "young" for you? You're only 15, aren't you? So, you ARE young, right? Can a person aged 30 be called young? a 40-year-old person? 60? What are the criteria?

ConsoleDate: Sunday, 16.10.2011, 12:48 | Message # 4
Student
I would like to be nineteen forever. If I was always young, I wouldn’t have important work, and I would be able to go for a walk with my friends and have fun. I’m only 14 years old.The concept “young” for me means a person who behaves in a young way. To my mind It’s a person from school ages to 30 ages. More than 30 ages - it’s not young for me, but people may be different. I can't say anything more about it.

Message edited by Console - Saturday, 22.10.2011, 15:43

ZuzuDate: Monday, 17.10.2011, 13:57 | Message # 5
Monitor
Sometimes I wish I hadn't said this or that word, hadn't done this or that thing. But when I understand, it's too late. What's done is done, what's past is past. And so many people, very special for me, are offended by me. I know it isn't a good quality to be hot-tempered.But I can't control myself under some conditions , I can't but object to some ideas, action if they really hurt me. What should I do to put my anger down?Eh? Give me a piece of advice if you know, please.

AsyaDate: Monday, 17.10.2011, 17:16 | Message # 6
I would be very glad to give you that piece of advice if only I could do it. The problem you've described is familiar to many people, especially the idea that we quite often realize we've done something wrong only when it's too late to change the situation. I suppose the only possible solution is think before you act and if you've done something wrong, don't worry too much.

lovefootball)Date: Monday, 17.10.2011, 20:44 | Message # 7
Dean
Awards: 3
There's one more detail that worsens the whole situation - we think before saying something to a stranger (I mean one who is not so close to you) but violently ignore this useful habit at home. It's a miracle, I just can't find another explanation!) Actually this paradox has even become a subject matter for jokes and gossip. Something like, " Hey, the're our neighbours, I do care about their opinion!"))) Indeed, it's so pleasant to smile sweetly at the office and then come home and turn into...yourself...with all that it implies)

AsyaDate: Tuesday, 18.10.2011, 17:50 | Message # 8
I don't see anything miraculous here. We simply cannot always be so good, smiling and so on... We need some rest. We can't let ourselves express strong emotions when we are at work. We understand that we'll be laughed at, criticised, ashamed. But at home we'll be tolerated and even supported (not always, but still). That's why such transformations from us into us real do take place. But for these transformations our life would be completely unbearable!

lovefootball)Date: Tuesday, 18.10.2011, 18:44 | Message # 9
Dean
I agree but then our relatives suffer from this change! Well, for me it's a dilemma. On the one hand I need to blow off steam badly sometimes! Rather often, I should say) Home is maybe the only place where you can feel at ease, absolutley relaxed and confident and it's natural that family members throw off the burden of the whole day with all its incidents, offences and fatigue but the border between this very sharing (let's be honest - complaining) and venting spleen upon others is forgotten easily...H'm, certain rules regulate our behaviour in public, so why not to introduce some special indulgence at home? Not strict of course but still.

AsyaDate: Wednesday, 19.10.2011, 11:39 | Message # 10
I suppose they are introduced! E. g., I will never come to my father intending to blow off steam. Vice versa, I'll prefer to keep silent in order not to (occasionally) raise my voice. I tend to think that it differs from family to family but among my relatives the situation is the following: when somebody is aggressive he/she tries to escape for some time and to calm down.

lovefootball)Date: Wednesday, 19.10.2011, 20:53 | Message # 11
Dean
That's true...by the way, what's better - to keep silent and wait until the problem resolves of its own accord or have it out then and there? Anyway, emotions (not very positive, to put it mildly))) go off the scale, ooh! To tell the truth I hate both because this very silence may last EXTREMELY LONG and turn your life into a nightmare! As for frankness, well, unfortunately most people tend to strike at weak points trying to hurt one's feelings intentionally, not thinking of what it all can cause.

AsyaDate: Thursday, 20.10.2011, 10:22 | Message # 12
That's a double-edged sword. Nothing is better. Quite equal opportunities. Both have positive and negative consequences. So, it depends on what you want more in this particular moment: to get rid of "burning and boiling" emotions or to remain on good terms with your family members. biggrin

lovefootball)Date: Thursday, 20.10.2011, 21:09 | Message # 13
Dean
Ha-ha, how sly of you to put it like that))) The worst thing is that such offence can literally stick somewhere inside of you and simply come to the surface in the very nick of time! Actually I'm getting more and more convinced that you should be VERY thick-skinned in order to keep peace and conciliation in the family no matter what role you perform: a spouse, a child or just a relative. It's not idle words, it's essential and serious and I breath freely because I'm trying to do my best to learn it (and put in practice!)

AsyaDate: Thursday, 20.10.2011, 21:47 | Message # 14
To tell the truth I don't know any family that could keep peace for a long time. And I consider it to be quite natural again. People living under one roof, sharing the worst moments of life (e. g., the process of waking up), sharing one bath (even this is enough to provoke conflicts!) can't but sometimes quarrel, get offended or misunderstood.
Judging by my personal life experience I can nevertheless claim that though it's impossible to eliminate tension, it's quite possible to diminish it.

lovefootball)Date: Tuesday, 25.10.2011, 19:22 | Message # 15
Dean
It's not just possible, it's absolutely essential))) And if there's a large family living in quite a limited space...to tell the truth I've never faced such a situation but I fancy that relatives need to make Herculean efforts not to kill each other))) Maybe, a schedule is a way out as far as household matters go but I have a feeling that it will be violated too often, "Mummy, I love you so much,oh please, wash the dishes!!")))))

Forum » FIRST SUCCESS AT LEARNING ENGLISH - FORUM FOR BEGINNERS » When I was Younger » I wish... (subjunctive)
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024