THE WORLD OF ENGLISH Tuesday, 07.05.2024, 20:21
Welcome Guest | RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Forum moderator: Teacher  
Forum » FIRST SUCCESS AT LEARNING ENGLISH - FORUM FOR BEGINNERS » The World of My Dreams » An ideal companion on an uninhabited island. (Whom can you fully rely on?)
An ideal companion on an uninhabited island.
NekavaenDate: Monday, 27.12.2010, 00:29 | Message # 1
Head teacher
Group: Users
Awards: 1
Let’s imagine. You have to spend a year on an uninhabited island. You can take nothing with you, nothing! No tools, no clothes (except for those things that are already put on), no electric equipment… But!!! You are allowed to choose a companion! You can take one person with you.

We are in the world of our dreams, do you remember? It may be not only a person you know well – a friend, a sister, a teacher, a doctor… You can choose your favourite singer or actor, the President or Spiderman… Maybe, he or she is not a human but a robot, an alien, an animal, a ghost...

Whom would you like to take with you? Why?
Why will you be able to tolerate this person for such a long period of time?
Will he or she help you to survive? How?
Will he or she be glad to live with you? Why do you think so?

It is not human to be without shame and without desire. (Ursula K. Le Guin)

ValeriyaDate: Tuesday, 01.02.2011, 17:03 | Message # 2
Monitor
Awards: 0
Some days ago my friend and I talked about this journey. We want to swim in the ocean and eat bananas, pineapples, mango, oranges and others exotic fruit. My friend is a musician and we want to sing songs and dance. We will live in a hut. In the evening we will make a fire and talk about our days. We will fish and hunt. Nobody will disturb us. If we are ill, we will eat sea grass and drink coconut milk. I think that it is our dream but it will never come true.

lovefootball)Date: Tuesday, 01.02.2011, 22:18 | Message # 3
Dean
Awards: 3
H'm, to tell the truth I wouldn't like to be in such a situation no matter who might be with me) Well, maybe a genie who will be willing to do everything I want or at least bring me home. On the other hand, genies are very sly and self-seeking....I don't know. But I definitely want to talk to Meryl Streep irrespective of where we are) She is my favourite actress and I find her genial.

NekavaenDate: Friday, 04.02.2011, 00:26 | Message # 4
Head teacher
There is only one person in the world I can completely rely on – my Granny. She’s the only human on this planet I’m always glad to see. She respects me and always knows what I need at this or that very moment.

Besides, she has traveled to many exotic places (for example, to Ethiopia and India), she has hiked many times, and that’s why she definitely knows how to behave in difficult situations, how to find food and water in the forest or in the mountains and how to produce fire by friction.

Though she’s not young, she’s still strong and healthy. She’s an interesting companion, an ideal cook and a talented doctor.
We’ll build a cozy shelter of wood and palm trees and start eating bananas and fried shellfish…

lovefootball)Date: Friday, 04.02.2011, 11:56 | Message # 5
Dean
Awards: 3
Wow,it seems that you've planned an ideal holiday))) But you're right, such person is of primary importance under these circumstances. And what would you do if you were on the island absolutely alone?

NekavaenDate: Saturday, 05.02.2011, 00:27 | Message # 6
Head teacher
If I get in such a situation, I will first of all calm down and have a look around. I’ll try to find a source of fresh water as soon as possible and climb a palm to get some bananas. Then I’ll do my best to find a safe place suitable for night's lodging. I’ll try to produce fire but I won’t create a big bonfire until I make sure I’m really alone and there are no aggressive indigenes nearby.

I’ll sleep a lot and discover the world around me. Of course, I’ll be extremely careful when going through the jungle. I won’t dare leave my shelter without a self-made club or a knife – who knows what kind of predators will live on the island. I’m not a professional commando but I can defend my life in extreme cases. Believe it or not, I’ve taken part in street fights when bad guys attacked me and my friends. Once I beat a maniac who decided that a young girl wouldn’t be able to defend her honor. Oh, what a terrible mistake he had made!

I’ll definitely try to tame an exotic animal – a parrot, maybe. I’ll talk a lot to myself, to the sea, to the pet everyday in order not to forget human speech.

I’ll invent a signal that will help a rescue team on a helicopter or a ship to find me (I hope somebody will seek after me! If not, well, maybe it will be better not to return to the world where nobody misses me…)

Former-TeacherDate: Saturday, 05.02.2011, 10:33 | Message # 7
Dean
Group: Admins
Awards: 2
The world of your dreams is captivating but troubling at the same time. A good self portrait of yourself. Does it mean that your second self, that has a chance to dream and construct unreal worlds, reveals your dissatisfaction and negative experience of the real world that you are part of? Why do your mind and heart go Robinsonian? The most important thought of yours is that you want to be alone or with a few close people. Why does it seem to me that you are trying to defend yourself against others? Or is it a nice romantic fantasy? biggrin

NekavaenDate: Saturday, 05.02.2011, 22:21 | Message # 8
Head teacher
Of course, all my dreams are somehow connected with memories of the past and all kinds of events that happened to me in real life. Yes, I had to cope with difficult and even critical situations in my life. But I can’t say for sure it was negative experience because it has made me stronger, cleverer and at the same time more confident of myself.

I’ve always been dreaming of going to a far-away land because I’ve read a lot of adventure stories and books about people who survived after a shipwreck or a plane crash and had to fight for survival in natural conditions without any modern conveniences and gadgets. I want to put my abilities to a test because I like to take risks to prove myself I’m worth something. Unfortunately, I haven’t yet traveled abroad but some day…

I’m not trying to defend myself against others. We defend ourselves from things we are afraid of . Why should I be afraid of people? I may not trust them or dislike them but I have no fear. Maybe, I just don’t want to impose myself, to be a burden to those who already have a lot of friends or are not interested in listening to my crazy ideas.
I’m talkative enough, polite and tolerant. If somebody needs my help, I’ll never refuse But at the same time I like to be alone. I’m not afraid of solitude because it makes me feel comfortable and secure. I hurt nobody and nobody disturbs me. If I need a company, I’ll go to those people who understand me very well and are ready to accept me as I am. (I tend to think it’s somehow connected with teen-age maximalism and constant stress I have to deal with because of had studies, but I’m not confident about that smile ).

Suigintou_RozenDate: Wednesday, 21.09.2011, 14:54 | Message # 9
Course monitor
I would like to take my best friend with me.Every serious thing becomes pleasant and funny with her. We have been friends since childhood, so we can understand each other very well. Of course, we will help each other to survive. It will be an exciting adventure for us. biggrin

NikkyDate: Thursday, 22.09.2011, 22:25 | Message # 10
Course monitor
I will choose Spiderman, because i think it will be the only opportunity to meet him biggrin
Talking seriously, I would like to take my best friend with me too. Because I know that a year together won't turn into a nightmare. I mean we have known each other for so long and we know each other's habits. We won't argue because of silly problems. I think it will be an interesting and exciting adventure happy

Former-TeacherDate: Tuesday, 27.09.2011, 22:24 | Message # 11
Dean
Group: Admins
Awards: 2
Well, a lot of time has passed since the start of the discussion, and now I think I would really like to spend a year in a remote uninhabited corner of the planet. If I had such a chance, I would definitely take loads of books and a computer. What a happy person I would be! I need time to be able to think.

AsyaDate: Wednesday, 28.09.2011, 06:14 | Message # 12
Union committee president
Group: Moders
Awards: 6
Quote (Teacher)
If I had such a chance, I would definitely take loads of books and a computer.

That's the point!!! When I only started reading the first message in this thread, "you can take nothing with you", I expected some continuation like "except for 1 thing". And I would definitely say: BOOKS!!! A computer is also a good idea but my rationality doesn't let me choose it. If the island is uninhabited, there is no electricity there and all the technical equipment is absolutely useless.
And as for the question, well, I'll write my first thought. I'd like to take my sister with me. But I can't even logically explain my choice. She is neither my best friend nor a good expert (in any sphere). But I'd prefer to live there with her. When we are together, we are never bored. And when we are not together, we miss each other. Maybe, that's the reason.

Nikky0638Date: Sunday, 20.05.2012, 23:31 | Message # 13
Monitor
It's very difficult to imagine yourself on an uninhabited island. In addition it's very scary, because there are many wild animals, it isn't real to imagine yourself without modern technology, but on the other hand may be I would not be against to be there for a while, because I do not mind to take a break from civilization, swimming in the clear sea, basking in the sand ,eating healthy food and not thinking about the problems. As for me I would like to be there with my boyfriend, because how women can do without the male power? biggrin Who will get the food, build a cozy and warm cabin... Also I have no doubt that he is master of all trades, I am sure that I can not be lost with him)))

Message edited by Nikky0638 - Sunday, 20.05.2012, 23:34

ZhgutikDate: Tuesday, 04.09.2012, 23:40 | Message # 14
Union organizer
Group: Reliable
My ideal companion on an uninhabited island is my best friend.Her name is Masha.Firstly,we always can find what we can do.Secondly,Masha is very clever and sharp so she can help me to build a hut biggrin Thirdly,Masha is very reliable and I always can rely on her.Fourthly,Masha can fish so we don't die of hunger.Fifthly,Masha is the best companion for me because we can find adventure even on an uninhabited island!!!

Johnny_BravoDate: Wednesday, 05.09.2012, 00:36 | Message # 15
Union organizer
I think my ideal companion is Obi-Wan Kenobi. He is a character in the Star Wars universe . He is a Jedi Grand Master so he is wise and i think i will get on with him. We could build the stone shelter using his lightsaber. And we certainly could hunt and fry our food without a fire. Moreover he could use the jedi power to move hard objects and defend us from different invaders. biggrin

Forum » FIRST SUCCESS AT LEARNING ENGLISH - FORUM FOR BEGINNERS » The World of My Dreams » An ideal companion on an uninhabited island. (Whom can you fully rely on?)
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024