THE WORLD OF ENGLISH Thursday, 28.03.2024, 22:46
Welcome Guest | RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: Tanya  
Forum » JAPANESE WORLD - OVER THERE BUT SO CLOSE » Japanese - A Few Language Tutorials » Basic phrases. (Greetings, thanks, apologies.)
Basic phrases.
NekavaenDate: Wednesday, 15.12.2010, 00:05 | Message # 1
Head teacher
Group: Users
Awards: 1
If you want to greet a person in Japanese, say "Konnichiwa". (Actually this word is only suitable for the time period from midday till 6 p.m. If it's evening already, say "Kombanwa": "kon" - this, now; "nichi" - day, "ban" - evening; "wa" - is.)

How to thank people?
If a friend helps you, you may say just "Arigatoo", "Doomo" or "Doomo arigatoo"
If a teacher, a boss of an unknown person helps you, you'd better say "Doomo arigatoo gozaimas".
But if he or she nearly saves your life, it's better to pronounce the longest form "Doomo arigatoo gozaimashita".

If you've done something wrong, say "Sumimasen".
If you are really guilty and awfully sorry, and your interlocutor is higher in status, say "Doomo sumimasen" or "Mooshiwake gozaimasen".

And "Goodbye" is "Sayonara" in Japanese.

It is not human to be without shame and without desire. (Ursula K. Le Guin)

Message edited by Nekavaen - Wednesday, 15.12.2010, 00:29

Former-TeacherDate: Wednesday, 15.12.2010, 08:46 | Message # 2
Dean
Group: Admins
Awards: 2
Wow, never thought that it would be so captivating to learn a few basic phrases. Thanks for such an important and useful thread. I have read a few times, but I feel I need more practice. This is a good choice of functional cliches. I will now be more confident when I meet Japanese people. Nice to treat you as my first Japanese teacher biggrin I think this is your first experience of teaching Japanese online biggrin Really successful!

Suigintou_RozenDate: Wednesday, 15.12.2010, 16:07 | Message # 3
Course monitor
Awards: 0
I know some Japanese phrases.For example:

"watashi wa Chstina desu ka" -I am Сhristina.
"Ogenki desu ka?" -How are you?
"Genki des" -I am ok
"Oyasuminasai" - Good night
biggrin

NekavaenDate: Wednesday, 15.12.2010, 23:46 | Message # 4
Head teacher
Awards: 1
Yes, these phrases are really useful. smile
But I'm afraid you have a little mistake in the first example. You know, "I am Christina" will be "Watashi wa Christina des" in Japanese. If you add "ka", this sentence will become a question! "Watashi wa Christina desu ka" - "Am I Christina?"
Yes, it's very simple to transform affirmative sentences into questions in Japanese - no serious grammar changes, no global alterations of word order. We add "ka" and that's all.

And one more important expression:
"Good morning!" - "Ohayoo gozaimas"

P.S. About the endings of sentences. "Des" or "desu" - both variants are right: "gozaimas" - "gozaimasu", "tabemas" (to eat) - "tabemasu".

It is not human to be without shame and without desire. (Ursula K. Le Guin)

Suigintou_RozenDate: Thursday, 16.12.2010, 17:26 | Message # 5
Course monitor
yes.
I understood that I had made a mistake yesterday evening :DDD

NadyaDate: Friday, 23.09.2011, 15:21 | Message # 6
Union committee president
Group: Moders
Wow, I suppose I will never be able to learn Japanese because it seems so difficult! smile Anyway, thank you for some necessary phrases though I do not know how to pronounce them in a right way) Oh and I think it would be really great if you told us some new japanese words smile

Forum » JAPANESE WORLD - OVER THERE BUT SO CLOSE » Japanese - A Few Language Tutorials » Basic phrases. (Greetings, thanks, apologies.)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024