THE WORLD OF ENGLISH Friday, 03.05.2024, 12:41
Welcome Guest | RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: Asya  
Forum » ENGLISH LANGUAGE AND ENGLISH SPEAKING CULTURE » English Vocabulary Secrets » Teach and Learn
Teach and Learn
Former-TeacherDate: Monday, 17.01.2011, 10:20 | Message # 1
Dean
Group: Admins
Awards: 2
Dear Netters! I understand that there is a very simple difference between these two words. However, my mind often jumps with irritation to see that some of you still make this mistake. I found the wrong usage of these words in the blog post 'Adam and Eve':
'But sometimes our mistakes learn us and give an opportunity for growth through challenge and experience.'
The problem rests with the interlingual interference. In Russian the word "учить"is used in two meanings: "учить кого-то чему-то" (т.е. обучать, преподавать) и "учить что-то" (т.е. изучать, узнавать).
- 'To teach' means to give knowledge or training to somebody.
E.g.: "I am a teacher. I teach students. I teach English'.

- 'To learn' means to find knowledge and practise skills.
E.g.: "I want to learn French."

So, the sentences "I want to teach my students well"and "I want to learn my students well"are really different. In the first sentence the meaning is 'to give knowledge to students', whereas in the second sentence the meaning is 'to get to know students' character or ideas'.
Another problem is probably more difficult to solve - personal language carelessness and lack of language discipline sad

Forum » ENGLISH LANGUAGE AND ENGLISH SPEAKING CULTURE » English Vocabulary Secrets » Teach and Learn
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024