THE WORLD OF ENGLISH Tuesday, 23.04.2024, 18:48
Welcome Guest | RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Forum moderator: Teacher  
Forum » UNIVERSITY LIFE » Global Education » Defining Global Education (Accepted and personal definitions)
Defining Global Education
Former-TeacherDate: Wednesday, 19.10.2011, 11:37 | Message # 1
Dean
Group: Admins
Awards: 2
What is Global Education? How do you understand the term? How can you define the notion of Global Education? What definitions can you find in the net? How popular is this concept in the world of education?

AsyaDate: Wednesday, 19.10.2011, 11:53 | Message # 2
Union committee president
Group: Moders
Awards: 6
Searching in the Net I've managed to find the whole pdf-document dedicated to global education.You can download it clicking here.
I've found there that there exists some Maastricht Global Education Declaration dating back to 2002. And this declaration states that:
Global education is education that opens people’s eyes and minds to the realities of the globalised world and awakens them to bring about a world of greater justice, equity and Human Rights for all.
Global education is understood to encompass Development Education, Human Rights Education, Education for Sustainability, Education for Peace and Conflict Prevention and Intercultural Education; being the global dimension of Education for Citizenship.
Sounds quite complicated but as far as I understand it global education is meant to change our mentality moving form the culture of individualism to cooperation. I believe that the main idea is: everything is interrelated and interconnected. And one more: the beauty of the world is in it's diversity.

LuckDate: Thursday, 20.10.2011, 20:28 | Message # 3
Union organizer
Group: Friends
Awards: 5
Education has many definitions but the main idea of education is getting knowledge. And the very knowledge means not only the fact that you know something but also this very process of getting the knowledge. Nowadays we have to orient ourselves in many fields very well and that is exactly what global education means. It helps us to get the whole picture of the world from different aspects, linking the most important facts. The aim here is to help people understand the holistic picture of the world. It does not MAKE people study, it just offers a great opportunity to not just read a book but research and exercise.

RinaDate: Thursday, 20.10.2011, 21:53 | Message # 4
Union committee president
Awards: 4
Global education presupposes multidimensional teaching that is focused not only on one discipline, but a whole set of sciences and spheres of knowledge. We perceive the world as a unity that can't be divided into separated parts, that's why we should never learn it piecemeal, getting just scrappy facts. Global education means teaching the rules our world follows in the aspect of their interconnection and interrelatedness. Global Education doesn't give you a list of statements you have to take for granted and learn by heart, it creates conditions for perceiving information, analyzing, looking at it from different angles, finding negative and positive characteristic features and then making your own conclusion. The aim of Global Education is to create a polymathic person whose attitude towards any phenomenon is far from being biased and prejudiced.

AyayuliaDate: Sunday, 23.10.2011, 12:12 | Message # 5
Union organizer
I think that the problem of our education is that everything is given in a ready-made form. I understand that school program contains much, but time is limited, but as for me I don’t use one tenth of knowledge I got at school. But when I entered the University I faced the following problem: I had a store of knowledge, but I can’t think. Global education teaches thinking, analyzing, systematizing and so on. That is what is useful and helpful in life.

MegastarostaDate: Sunday, 23.10.2011, 21:46 | Message # 6
Union organizer
Global education teaches people how to survive in modern world, ensures the harmony in the world of people, nature, things. Global education raises creative thinking people with flexible mind. They won’t get lost in every situation that is not usual. If we speak about Global Education, we should mention such a notion as “ a holistic learner”. A holistic learner should know a little form different spheres of our life: medicine, languages, history. But this kind of learner should investigate one sphere as deep as it possible.

MissJaneDate: Sunday, 23.10.2011, 22:24 | Message # 7
Union organizer
Awards: 3
The site of The Council for Global Education (CGE) poses a definite question that everyone has asked at least once in their lives: “What has to be done to truly make the world a better place?” CGE believes that education is the key and that each and every one of us plays an essential role in the education process. (http://www.globaleducation.org/)

The goal of CGE is “to create a world where values such as peace, coexistence, reverence for all forms of life, and responsibility are the norm. Needed is a new education based on new goals for a new and enlightened century. To achieve this goal, CGE has developed a global education model founded upon: Universal Values, Global Understanding, Excellence in All Things, and Service to Humanity”.

To my mind, these are very precise words aimed at awakening a sense of responsibility in us. I’m sure global education strategy is to teach to be bold in actions, rigorous in analysis, strict in appraisals, reasonable in words, creative in thoughts. More over, a globally educated person knows what should be learned and where the information should be taken from. I think these are the most valuable features most of us lack.

8davids8Date: Wednesday, 26.10.2011, 11:38 | Message # 8
Union organizer
Global Education brings the idea of unity into the world. It propagandizes such notions as peace, pacifism, multi-national integration, and everything of the kind. What is the most important here is that Global education is aimed at young people, students and pupils. This is crucail because their consciousness if formed exactly by the ideas of Global education, which has a strong positive core for the future generations.

alex_makhDate: Wednesday, 26.10.2011, 22:58 | Message # 9
Monitor
Awards: 1
The idea of Global Eduation is far more deeper than the idea of education itself. Global education is a kind of philosophy, ist's a skill, not just knowledje. It's a way of understanding and absorbing everything from everything, a way of finding some useful date in places where it practically couldn't be found. Global education means thinking, it means seeing things bigger, deeper and more significant than they seem to be.

MissJaneDate: Saturday, 12.11.2011, 20:48 | Message # 10
Union organizer
Quote (Rina)
Global education means teaching the rules our world follows in the aspect of their interconnection and interrelatedness.

Global education is frequently described as the process of acquiring a holistic and holographic views of the world. I put it like this (holistic and holographic) on purpose because, in my understanding, these two concepts have much in common but still they differ by the semantic parts. A holographic view implicates being in the middle of the situation, problem, phenomenon. The participant feels and evaluates the objects and relations looking at them in a three-dimensional magnifying glass while a holistic view is an objective look at a situation. Anyway both of the notions use the concepts of intimate interconnectedness, reference to the whole.

TeacherDate: Sunday, 13.11.2011, 01:20 | Message # 11
Head teacher
Awards: 0
"Education should serve as an antidote to ecological ignorance, antagonism between man and nature, the "apres nous le deluge" attitude leading to imminent global cataclysms, all kinds of antagonism and chauvinism which result in tension and conflicts, the growing chasm between the pragmatic and ethical, intellectual and emotional perspectives on life."
J. Kolker, Global Education (lecture), EFL (RSU)

Global education is very necessary, especially nowadays. Anybody can become a globally educated person, but this status means a great deal of responsibility for the life and development of society.

In Vino Veritas...

MissJaneDate: Tuesday, 15.11.2011, 21:57 | Message # 12
Union organizer
Quote (Seagull)
this status means a great deal of responsibility for the life and development of society

Aren't those people who are not globally educated responsible for improving social conditions? Ignorance does not exempt from liability. Is it possible to relieve a person of any responsibility just because some lop-sided world-views and narrow thinking patterns were cultivated and upheld in him/her? Our grandparents went to schools where the notion of global education was inconceivable but they were perhaps even more responsible for social development and well-being than we are supposed to be nowadays.

TeacherDate: Wednesday, 16.11.2011, 02:18 | Message # 13
Head teacher
MissJane, of course, you're right. I should say that globally educated people realize their responsibility.

In Vino Veritas...

lovefootball)Date: Wednesday, 08.02.2012, 19:21 | Message # 14
Dean
Group: Users
I feel a note of rebellion in your discussion as if you opposed long lived traditions and this very global education) I'm sure we can only benefit from their combination and respect to both of them. The reason why I say so is the fact that unfortunately a lot of people who want maybe to justify their thoughts and actions (or something like that) simply present them as advanced and exceptionally modern ideas. What happens next? Those who haven't yet worked out their own view on this or that problem take such "novelties" for granted and become guided by them in the future.

natasha001Date: Thursday, 30.08.2012, 15:24 | Message # 15
Student
Group: Users
For me global education starts with attending university which is located abroad or has connections with universities and companies in different countries. Global education is when the world is open for a student and he can choose and make decisions about his future.

Forum » UNIVERSITY LIFE » Global Education » Defining Global Education (Accepted and personal definitions)
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024