THE WORLD OF ENGLISH Saturday, 20.04.2024, 06:30
Welcome Guest | RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: Seagull, Teacher, firenze  
Forum » ENGLISH LANGUAGE AND ENGLISH SPEAKING CULTURE » Quote's Time » Quote 2 True Friendship (Read, translate and comment upon)
Quote 2 True Friendship
TeacherDate: Tuesday, 08.01.2013, 01:16 | Message # 1
Head teacher
Group: Admins
Awards: 0
“Friendship is a plant of slow growth and must undergo and withstand the shocks of adversity before it is entitled to the appellation.”
George Washington

George Washington (February 22, 1732 – December 14, 1799) ¬– was one of the Founding Fathers of the United States. The 1st President of the USA.
Attachments: 9567219.jpg (44.6 Kb)

In Vino Veritas...

DaryaDate: Thursday, 10.01.2013, 23:35 | Message # 2
Student
Group: Reliable
There can be only one friend. And if you have a friend, you are a happy person. Friendship doesn't demand an everyday call. You feel a friend at a distance. And you can always help him at the necessary moment.

Teacher's comment:
Study the rule for the word 'distance' at http://groupa.ucoz.co.uk/forum/31-401-1#6198

Former-TeacherDate: Tuesday, 15.01.2013, 12:29 | Message # 3
Dean
Awards: 2
I share the meaning of the saying. But I disagree with Darya.
Friends can be many. They are just different and are your different helpers and advisers.
I have got a few friends. I wish I had more. What I can say to one friend, can never be said to another. Not because I don't trust or respect him/her, just because that other friend is different and has his/her own view of and attitude to people and things.
Friends for me are like books on a bookshelf - everlasting, precious, important. You use them when you feel necessary or pressed for advice, or appreciation, or criticism, or help, or shelter, or money, or a grain of happiness, or a firm handshake, or the whole world to smile at you cool

AsyaDate: Thursday, 17.01.2013, 02:30 | Message # 4
Union committee president
Group: Moders
Awards: 6
Quote (Darya)
There can be only one friend
I don't think so either. Why just one?! I do think that everybody has some best (true, closest, whatever) friends among all the other friends. But even in this case I wouldn't say it is just 1 person.

TeacherDate: Monday, 21.01.2013, 10:48 | Message # 5
Head teacher
I'd rather partially agree with Darya. As far as I think there can be one best friend. One may have a lot of friends, but they are not the best ones.

In Vino Veritas...

ValerkaDate: Monday, 22.09.2014, 09:47 | Message # 6
Surely, anyperson cannot have a lot of friends. Well, I am not mistaken because, as for
me, a friend is one soul living in two bodies.  So, can you explain where other souls are if
you guess that a person has many friends?? As for me, I can. Of course, all of
us know a great deal of people. It really makes you happy when you are
communicating with them. But they are good comrades and some of them are just
our familiar people. Don’t think that everybody will be able to support you at
any moment. Don’t believe that all of them know about you everything. You
should comprehend that only a true friend can know about you more than about
himself. Don’t forget it!

ZhgutikDate: Tuesday, 23.09.2014, 15:22 | Message # 7
Union organizer
Now I'm going to say a silly thing but I really like this quotation. I agree that friendship such a thing which can't appear suddenly! It is somithing insredible! A good friendship is always based on something and it has such a strong influence on people's minds. When you have your best friend, you feel yourself stronger and feel his/her support! I belive that friendship is a wonderful phenomenon!!!

PerilovaDate: Wednesday, 24.09.2014, 11:32 | Message # 8
Head teacher
I can say, that this quotation is an adequate definition of the concept of friendship, because to my mind friendship is such a kind of relations that we can compare with love or family ones. 
George Washington  rightly compares the friendship with a slow-growing plant, because friendship like a plant requires care and love. Friendship should be based on trust, sincerity, mutual help and support
and of course a long time for proof and check

PashkaaDate: Friday, 26.09.2014, 23:08 | Message # 9
Union organizer
Quote Perilova ()
to my mind friendship is such a kind of relations that we can compare with love or family ones.
We can love several people, but in different ways: as a friend, lover, brother, etc. Do you think that true friendship can also exist between more that two people or there can be only one best friend?

ValerieTrDate: Saturday, 27.09.2014, 12:19 | Message # 10
Friendship is one of the best things in the world. This is a kind of relations that every person needs. If you have close friends, you can be sure that they'll help you when you need it.
I hold the opinion that every person has a lot of acquaintances but the quantity of true friends is rather small. You'll have best friends only after some time. I mean, true friendship should overcome obstacles and go through years.

ValerkaDate: Wednesday, 01.10.2014, 21:25 | Message # 11
Quote Perilova ()
Friendship should be based on trust, sincerity, mutual help and support and of course a long time for proof and check
I would like to second your point of view about friend's devotion that should be proved and checked indeed. Because sometimes it really happens when you have had a friend for a long time but then, unfortunately, you will be deceived by him.Notwithstanding the fact friends betray us we continue believeing and trusting them. What is it? It is life that always gives us an opportinuty to teach everything making mistakes.

Message edited by Valerka - Wednesday, 01.10.2014, 21:26

JaneDate: Thursday, 02.10.2014, 11:20 | Message # 12
Monitor
Lots of words are said about frienship and now I want to say what I think about it. It's no doubt that a person can have many friends, but not all of them can be your closest people. I agree with Valerie Tr that only after some time, you can say that you have a best friend because you passed through different trials and it only strengthen your relations. So, friendship is one of the pleasant moments in our life and we should appreciate each other to not lose one another.

PerilovaDate: Saturday, 04.10.2014, 12:54 | Message # 13
Head teacher
Quote Pashkaa ()
Do you think that true friendship can also exist between more that two people or there can be only one best friend?
I think it's clear for everyone that a person can't call friends a large number of people. It's impossible. To my mind, a person should have one or two close friends, other people are just good familiars. What is your point of view ?

Added (04.10.2014, 12:54)
---------------------------------------------

Quote Valerka ()
Because sometimes it really happens when you have had a friend for a long time but then, unfortunately, you will be deceived by him.Notwithstanding the fact friends betray us we continue believeing and trusting them. What is it? It is life that always gives us an opportinuty to teach everything making mistakes.
Indeed, sometimes we go through such sad experience, but was it true friendship if your friend betrayed you at least once ?

Forum » ENGLISH LANGUAGE AND ENGLISH SPEAKING CULTURE » Quote's Time » Quote 2 True Friendship (Read, translate and comment upon)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024