THE WORLD OF ENGLISH Friday, 03.05.2024, 23:35
Welcome Guest | RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum moderator: Seagull  
Forum » MISCELLANEOUS - LIFE AS IT IS » Medicine and Health » Effective Ways to Fight Insomnia
Effective Ways to Fight Insomnia
AsyaDate: Tuesday, 12.10.2010, 11:13 | Message # 31
Union committee president
Group: Moders
Awards: 6
Nadya, you're speaking like your elder sister now. She keeps telling me that if I don't sleep enough I'm likely to die in the prime of my life (a nice girl she is, yeah?) I just wonder, do you sleep so much? Do you manage to do it? Maybe, you do. But Luck has quite a busy day. Luck, do you hear me? Do you sleep at least 8 hours a day?!

lovefootball)Date: Tuesday, 12.10.2010, 18:19 | Message # 32
Dean
Group: Users
Awards: 3
Seagull,on Sunday...mmm, a pleasant day)

NadyaDate: Wednesday, 13.10.2010, 23:22 | Message # 33
Awards: 0
I agree with Seagull. No one says that we CAN sleep every day so much. And I don't sleep so much every day either. But we should try to sleep more at weekends. I think most people sleep enough at weekends.

lovefootball)Date: Thursday, 14.10.2010, 20:32 | Message # 34
Dean
Of course, but that's not enough. I've read it somewhere that fatigue and sleep loss tend to accumulate, and sleep at weekends can't improve the situation.

Former-TeacherDate: Friday, 15.10.2010, 09:33 | Message # 35
Dean
Group: Admins
Awards: 2
That's why the best remedy for me is to go somewhere for at least a week, say the Black Sea coast or a spa-centre in Solotcha, and sleep-eat-sleep-eat-sleep-eat-sleep-eat until the calender tells you to pull yourself up and present yourself to the world! cool

RinaDate: Friday, 15.10.2010, 11:50 | Message # 36
Group: Friends
Awards: 4
It seems to me that nowadays we sleep “in store” - 12-13 hours on Sunday and only about 4-5 hours a day. Or as Teacher has mentioned, we spend a week or a couple somewhere far away from this routine, sleep-sleep-sleep and they come back to our work, studies and sleepless nights. But that's not healthy! Doctors say that sleeping “in store” is as harmful as not getting enough sleep! But what can we do when we are so busy? It seems to be a dead end for me(((

lovefootball)Date: Friday, 15.10.2010, 20:28 | Message # 37
Dean
Agree completely. They say one should spend his time efficiently...Maybe, we should give up something insignificant to have more time? But what exactly?

Former-TeacherDate: Saturday, 16.10.2010, 10:05 | Message # 38
Dean
Another remedy to avoid sleep-deprivation stress is to fall asleep in a happy mood and wake up ready to share happiness with every one you meet. Get up and smile, tell a joke, sing a song, do morning exercises, take a shower, have breakfast with a smile, say kindest words to your home-ins. Well, your body, your physical structure and your nervous mechanisms will give a sign of relief at how caring you are to yourself.

NekavaenDate: Monday, 18.10.2010, 00:14 | Message # 39
Head teacher
Awards: 1
Teacher, your methods are effective for fighting all kinds of stress, including sleep-deprivation problems. I always TRY to follow the same simple rules.
But sometimes it’s REALLY HARD to wake up and fall asleep in a happy mood. As I’m a student, my happiness and disappointment depend greatly on my studies. I very often can’t sleep at all after getting a bad mark or just attending lectures and seminars of those teachers who are completely inadequate, wicked, demand too much from the students, call us “idiots” and “sluggards”. The most interesting fact is that they themselves NEVER prepare for the lessons properly and can easily turn the discussion of important and interesting problems into monkey-business. At such moments it’s so difficult to sit straight and fight an enormously strong wish to stomp out of the room and slam the door…

Added (18.10.2010, 00:14)
---------------------------------------------
Bye the way, speaking about insomnia, we shouldn’t forget that sounds that surround us can ruin our sleep completely or, on the contrary, make it deeper and healthier. Of course, there are people who don’t care about it at all and fall asleep easily when the TV-set is switched on or when people all around are singing loudly… Unfortunately, I belong to those who need relative silence to fall asleep quickly.
Sometimes quiet but recurring sounds can be really bothering and irritating. For example, clock ticking. In the room where I sleep there are no clocks at all!!!! If there are things in your room that produce annoying sounds – throw them away without regrets!
At the same time everyone has sounds that please the ears and help to relax. It can be favourite music or voices of nature which many include birds chirping or water running. Listen to them before going to bed and pleasant dreams will come soon. (Of course, if you are fond of heavy metal, you’d better chose a slow romantic ballad, not an epic battle song. The last one will make you overexcited for sleeping!)
There are also situations when people get used to certain sounds and sleep peacefully in situations when others can’t sleep a wink at night. Such specific sounds may, for example, be produced by pets. I have a guinea pig at home. He always sleeps at day and is hyperactive at night. When he eats a carrot in the darkness it results into a loud sound of munching. He also likes to jump, cheep and do all sorts of things that make the room I sleep in very uncomfortable for concentration and relaxation. When guests sleep there they always ask in the morning: “How can you sleep in one chamber with this animal?” I always smile and say: “Yes, it was difficult at first but now I don’t care about the sounds he produces at all”.
So, I am used to sleep with a guinea pig but clock ticking still irritates me. It may seem strange but it’s a fact.

It is not human to be without shame and without desire. (Ursula K. Le Guin)

AsyaDate: Friday, 22.10.2010, 07:21 | Message # 40
Teacher, you are right. But I think these tips are useful when fighting with negative emotions. And when one get is constantly getting only a few hours of sleep, nothing will help except for falling deep asleep. biggrin

NekavaenDate: Friday, 22.10.2010, 20:48 | Message # 41
Head teacher
Awards: 1
Yes, I often feel the same… Especially when the session is near…

Usually I try to sleep six hours a day. (Of course, sometimes PEDAGOGICS and Japanese break this “sleeping tradition” completely). Believe it or not, but when I go to bed at 2 a.m. and wake up at 8 a.m., I feel totally exhausted and tired to the bone like if I haven’t slept at all. And when I fall asleep at midnight and then wake up at 6 a.m. the result is antipodal – I am active, hyper talkative, my head is full of fresh ideas, my movements are accurate.
I think it can be explained simply – each person has his or her specific sleeping hours. That’s why some people can sleep 4-5 hours and be healthy and satisfied with themselves and the rest of the world. And some of us sleep 10 hours and then complain about headaches.
Insomnia can also be caused by the wrong choice of sleeping hours. But if we just try to change the time of going to bed a little the problem will vanish.

It is not human to be without shame and without desire. (Ursula K. Le Guin)

Former-TeacherDate: Saturday, 23.10.2010, 10:10 | Message # 42
Dean
Quote (Nekavaen)
At such moments it’s so difficult to sit straight and fight an enormously strong wish to stomp out of the room and slam the door…

I'm at your side not because I'm fishing for your affection or respect, but because I know what you are talking about, if you ARE serious. I hate teachers who do not or don't want to understand that students are here because they have come to 'design' and 'build' the educational period of the life. They have the right to spend five years in the atmosphere of intellectial exploration, intelectual enjoyment, and nobody has the right to deprive students of their right for communicating with clever, seeking, inventive, knowledgeble teachers.

LuckDate: Saturday, 23.10.2010, 20:10 | Message # 43
Union organizer
Group: Friends
Awards: 5
sorry for such a late answer))))) ASYA: yes, I try to sleep as much as possible. I feel good after sleeping AT LEAST 8-9 hours. And anyway my body demands having a regime. BUT there is almost no possibility to have that regime!!! Anyway I try to go to bed at 1am and wake up at 9 am. And as you see I have 16 hours during a day to do everything that I have to do!:) Well..there is just one thing I want to add: it would be great if we had vacations not only in winter but in spring and autumn too, because sometimes I feel too exhausted(( (well I'm not complaining)))

AsyaDate: Sunday, 24.10.2010, 23:09 | Message # 44
Quote (Luck)
(( (well I'm not complaining)))

Sounds like you are reassuring yourself!
The thing is: if you use all these 16 hours to do something you need to do (but usually don't want to) you WILL feel exhausted. No matter how much you sleep.

CherryDate: Saturday, 30.10.2010, 09:34 | Message # 45
Monitor
Awards: 0
i don`t have insomnia. I think that insomnia is a very serious disease. the reasons of it may be different. i try to sleep near 7 hours a day. then i feel good. but when i sleep less then 5 hours i feel bad.

Forum » MISCELLANEOUS - LIFE AS IT IS » Medicine and Health » Effective Ways to Fight Insomnia
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024