THE WORLD OF ENGLISH Saturday, 04.05.2024, 05:20
Welcome Guest | RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum moderator: Seagull  
Forum » MISCELLANEOUS - LIFE AS IT IS » Cinema and Movies » Is cinema a popular art nowadays? (Do people often go to the cinema?)
Is cinema a popular art nowadays?
Is cinema a popular art nowadays?
1. yes [ 19 ] [90.48%]
2. no [ 2 ] [9.52%]
Answers total: 21
AsyaDate: Tuesday, 10.05.2011, 05:28 | Message # 1
Union committee president
Group: Moders
Awards: 6
Some people claim that cinema is an extremely popular art nowadays. And I tend to agree with them. Cinema is a place to visit when you want to get entertained for a relatively low price. Moreover, cinema is a new art. And everything new usually draws our attention.
As for me, I enjoy going to the cinema. But unfortunately, I don't have much time for it. So, I usually go to the cinema only once a month. And what about you?

MaksDate: Wednesday, 11.05.2011, 16:02 | Message # 2
Student
Group: Users
Awards: 0
Cinema is one of the oldest kinds of arts. And nowadays cinema is a very popular art. A lot of people all over the world like to watch comedies, tragedies, science fiction films and so on.

olgaDate: Wednesday, 11.05.2011, 21:13 | Message # 3
Student
Awards: 1
I completely agree with Maksim. The art of cinema appeared many years ago and it is developing practically every day. I think that the invention of cinema is one of the factors of the world's progress. Đ¢oday we have a chance to watch different genres of films.And there is no doubt that cinema is really popular nowadays especially with teenagers. It's a good chance to spend the time or to whatct a new film not at home/

2YoungDate: Thursday, 12.05.2011, 00:12 | Message # 4
Monitor
Yap, that's right, cinema is rather popular, but...i think, that, it's not popular as an art. Nowadays it's believed that, painting is an art, sculpture is an art, musik is an art, but cinema is perceived as a way to have fun, laugh, spend tiime and so on.

Metus, dolor, mors ac formidines

Message edited by 2Young - Friday, 13.05.2011, 05:31

AsyaDate: Thursday, 12.05.2011, 06:24 | Message # 5
Quote (Maks)
Cinema is one of the oldest kinds of arts

I don't think so. To my mind, cinema is one of the youngest kinds of art. Did you mean that?

But why, Olga and Maks, are you speaking about the cinema as a place to visit? As 2Young has written, cinema is an art. It's not a building. Just like theatre is about acting.
Cinema is extremely poplar nowadays. If it were not, there would be no TV, I suppose.

olgaDate: Thursday, 12.05.2011, 19:30 | Message # 6
Student
Awards: 1
I don't mean only a place to visit. Of course cinema is an art. It's difficult to me to separate these definitions because I think that they make up the whole. Asya, I've said that cinema is an art first of all. I think that cinema as an art was wonderful even in the times of silent films

2YoungDate: Friday, 13.05.2011, 05:35 | Message # 7
Monitor
Quote (olga)
I've said that cinema is an art first of all.

No, you have not. You were speaking about progress and popularity, and the question is wether cinema is a popular art or not.

Suigintou_RozenDate: Friday, 20.05.2011, 17:53 | Message # 8
Course monitor
I think that cinema is a very popular kind of art nowadays.People go to the cinema more often then to art galleries or theater.Besides,cinema is one of the most fashionable kinds of arts,so sometimes movies are difficult to understand.Directors try to make them unusual. fool Personally I don't like it.

NadyaDate: Friday, 20.05.2011, 19:09 | Message # 9
At present, cinema enjoys wide popularity especially among young people. People have always been watching different movies. More and more cinemas are opening. More than that, it is developing quite fast (already people can watch 3D or 4D movies and I think it's a big progress in this kind of art!).

Nowadays it's believed that, painting is an art, sculpture is an art, musik is an art, but cinema is perceived as a way to have fun, laugh, spend tiime and so on.

I can't agree with you. There are different kinds of movies which are watched by people. Not all movies are just funny comedies that people watch to relax or to spend their time. There are a lot of movies, for example, based on classical literature or psychological movies which teach us how to act better, they make us remember such good features as kindness, honesty, morals. Isn't it a kind of art?

2YoungDate: Saturday, 21.05.2011, 15:09 | Message # 10
Monitor
Yes, it is. But now fewer and fewer people watch movies to develop. I think that the real art either teaches you something or shows you the "beauty of the world around you". Paustovsky thought like that. And look what we have now. The majority of people prefer to watch such films as "Nasha Russia" and other bulls**t. The humanity's culture is dying out...

AsyaDate: Saturday, 21.05.2011, 17:00 | Message # 11
Quote (2Young)
The majority of people prefer to watch such films as "Nasha Russia"

I can't agree with you. Where did you get such statistics??? Are your friends and fellows watching only BS, I wonder? I know only a few people who prefer such shows to worthy movies. And you?

lovefootball)Date: Saturday, 21.05.2011, 18:40 | Message # 12
Dean
Awards: 3
And I don't see anything bad in such shows. They are funny and realistic! We can't be serious thoughtful moralists all the time! Brains need smoko, really! You can argue with me but I just don't believe people who make a wry mouth and pretend to be saint every time their hear about such like shows. What for? They're cool! I don't like "Nasha Russia" very much but quotations from it are used almost by everyone))) I adore other shows on "TNT" and this fact doesn't characerize me as a stupid person with corrupted principles and moral values! I'm not trying to boast but I'm intelligent enough to analyse and discuss a lot of complicated books, poetry, songs, films. These two sides just coexist peacefully withing me (and in all other people, by the way!).

AsyaDate: Saturday, 21.05.2011, 21:29 | Message # 13
I suppose I'll quote myself:
Quote (Asya)
I know only a few people who prefer such shows to worthy movies.

When saying "prefer" I don't mean that they should never be watched. I mean that if people have to choose,...
Speaking about my own preferences, "Nasha Russia" and "Dom 2" simply irritate me. I tried to watch the first show several times but found it neither funny nor entertaining. But, at the same time, I never miss "Bolshaya raznitsa" and sometimes watch "Comedy club".
And I do agree with you, lovefootball), that if one likes "stupid" shows, one can't be regarded as stupid. Sometimes our brains really need some rest.

RinaDate: Sunday, 22.05.2011, 17:03 | Message # 14
Group: Friends
Awards: 4
While reading your comments I was trying to find out whether you differentiate between the notion "cinema" as a place where one can watch movies and the notion "cinema" as cinematography. Just 'cos on the one hand cinema is VEEEERY popular nowadays as a kind of ENTERTAINMENT. People go there not only to watch movies, but to meet their friend, to have a rest, to eat popcorn in a good company. On the other hand, cinema is VEEEERY popular nowadays as a kind of ART. And here we speak about movies. Some of them are made for entertaining purposes, they are almost for everybody and they make the two definitions I meant above merge. As for auteur or art films, they are rarely shown in the cinemas. And here we speak not about entertainment, but about real art, thought-provoking, aimed at appealing to onlookers' feelings and thinking.
But, btw, cinema is SO POPULAR nowadays, both as a kind of entertainment and a kind of art.

lovefootball)Date: Sunday, 22.05.2011, 21:16 | Message # 15
Dean
Awards: 3
You're right, we're really speaking too abstractedly...Still, it has just occured to me, is it commercially profitable to set out a movie that is what you've called "real art"? Maybe I'm mistaken but I've always thought that such films are not meant for mass screening. So that's why a lot of masterpieces simply don't find their audience. But of course this problem doesn't concern true judges who are usually aware of the latest news in film industry. At the same time I don't diminish the value of popular mass works because they can satisfy almost anyone's interests and wants.

Forum » MISCELLANEOUS - LIFE AS IT IS » Cinema and Movies » Is cinema a popular art nowadays? (Do people often go to the cinema?)
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024