THE WORLD OF ENGLISH Wednesday, 24.04.2024, 07:48
Welcome Guest | RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum moderator: Seagull  
Forum » MISCELLANEOUS - LIFE AS IT IS » Literature » what was the last book you've read? (speaking about books)
what was the last book you've read?
MegastarostaDate: Thursday, 07.01.2010, 17:08 | Message # 1
Union organizer
Group: Friends
Awards: 2
The last that i've read was the roman about Dali and his wife Gala. (Salvador Dali - the Spanish artist, the painter, the schedule, the sculptor, the director). The book is very interesting. It tell us about the relationships between Dali and Gala and her role in his life.

RinaDate: Thursday, 07.01.2010, 18:05 | Message # 2
Union committee president
Awards: 4
Quote (Megastarosta)
The last that i've read was the roman about Dali and his wife Gala.

Oh, couldn't you tell me who wrote this book? I adore Dali's works and I guess this book will be very interesting for me to read.
The latest book I've read was "Falling down of cars" by Jeff Noon. It's a kind of psychedelic fiction about the world where a strange disease is transmitted by mirrors and books. To tell the truth it was my second attempt to read the whole book – for the first time I started to read it in September, but it seemed too crazy for me and I stopped reading. But three days ago I finally read it. Quite an odd novel – as if it was written by a stoned drug addict. The narrating makes you almost mad. But still, I like this kind of literature.

Message edited by Rina - Friday, 08.01.2010, 00:01

TanyaDate: Thursday, 07.01.2010, 18:07 | Message # 3
Course monitor
The last book I've read was "English Phonetics" by V.A.Vassilyev. Now this book is really useful for us for successful passing the exam!

8davids8Date: Thursday, 07.01.2010, 19:04 | Message # 4
Union organizer
Group: Admins
Quote (Megastarosta)
the roman about Dali and his wife Gala.

Quote (Megastarosta)
I adore Dali's works

offtop, but coupla months ago i watched a movie about Dali's life before Gala, actually about his relationships with that famous spanish camera man of the beginning of the 20th century. don't remember his name.
Dali was a homosexual at first, wasn't he?

MegastarostaDate: Thursday, 07.01.2010, 23:09 | Message # 5
Union organizer
Quote (Rina)
Oh, couldn't you tell me who wrote this book? I adore Dali's works and I guess this book will be very interesting for me to read.

Irine, i can give this book to you, if you want happy

RinaDate: Thursday, 07.01.2010, 23:20 | Message # 6
Awards: 4
Quote (Megastarosta)
Irine, i can give this book to you, if you want

Oh! that'll be cool! Thank you so much!!! smile )))))

Suigintou_RozenDate: Sunday, 09.01.2011, 19:20 | Message # 7
Course monitor
Group: Users
Awards: 0
The last book I've read was "The Old Curiotisy Shop" by Charles Dickens.It is a very exciting book.
And my favourite book is "His Dark Materials" by Philip Pullman.I often re-read it.

ValeriyaDate: Sunday, 09.01.2011, 23:41 | Message # 8
Monitor
The last book I have read was "Master and Margarita" by M. Bulgakov. I liked this book. I think that I will read this book in the future. I shall read this novel for the second time, because I have not fully understood its sense.

lovefootball)Date: Monday, 10.01.2011, 16:07 | Message # 9
Dean
Awards: 3
Oh, I ADORE it!!! It's pure philosophy. The book is so many-sided and at the same time ambiguous, I think there can't be one interpretation for it. Everyone should perceive it through the prism of his/her own experience, feelings and faith.

SileneeeDate: Thursday, 20.01.2011, 18:08 | Message # 10
Monitor
Yes,this book is interesting.I also like it very much,M. Bulgakov shows a lot of vices of the society in the book.You can read it a lot of times and every time you will learn something new.

NadyaDate: Monday, 24.01.2011, 19:07 | Message # 11
Group: Moders
M. Bulgakov was a very talented author. And yes, his writings are rather difficult to understand for the first time. I suppose it is because of the philosophy. But at the same time I think his books would not be so interesting if there wasn't philosophy in them.
The last book I have read was "Crime and Punishment" by F. Dostoevsky. I liked it very much! And by the way there is the philosophy in this novel too.

Message edited by Nadya - Monday, 24.01.2011, 19:09

SileneeeDate: Tuesday, 01.02.2011, 23:42 | Message # 12
Monitor
Yes,"Crime and Punishment" was also a very philosophical book.There were a lot of items we should think over.
The last book I ve read was "The Perfumer" by P. Suskind.This book impressed me very much.I have never read a book like that,I think there wasn't an analogue in the world literarure.This book is also very philocophical.

lovefootball)Date: Wednesday, 02.02.2011, 19:09 | Message # 13
Dean
Awards: 3
And have you seen the film version? Did it impress you as well?
I've started to read "The Godfather" by Mario Puzo. I wonder how could I have forgotten about this fabulous book! I adore the film, maybe I'm too subjective but I don't see any shortcomings in it. Besides, this trilogy has a great impact on me, it's strange and yet true.

NekavaenDate: Thursday, 03.02.2011, 01:00 | Message # 14
Head teacher
Awards: 1
Oh, “Crime and Punishment”!!! I remember how I read this fantastic book at school and wrote an essay on this novel. I chose the topic “Imagine that you are Raskolnikov. Write about your life, your ideas, your crime and punishment, you relationships with Sonechka Marmeladova.” It was a truly exciting task to place myself in Rodion’s position.

Sileneee, my mother read the book “The Perfumer” last year. She was really impressed by this novel and advised me to read it. Unfortunately, I haven’t done it yet but I’ve seen the movie. They say the novel and the film don’t differ greatly. Well, what can I say… The story is unusual, unpredictable, thrilling. I was intrigued till the very end!

The last book I’ve read was “Dandelion wine” by Ray Bradbury. The action of the book takes place in a small American town. At first it may seem that the plot is simple, even primitive and the story on the whole isn’t grave at all. Teenagers spend their summer vacations playing games, eating ice-cream and meanwhile watch elders (who are always busy with serious, “grown-up” jobs and tasks) arguing with each other.
But little by little we start to understand that in fact the book touches upon many serious problems: life and death, witchcraft and faith, loneliness of old people, relationships between people of different ages and so on. Together with the main hero the reader discovers what true friendship is, how real happiness can be gained, how an ideal family looks like.

I saw the following ideas in the story: we shouldn’t be afraid of our dreams, we should live our lives to the fullest, help others, enjoy the beauty of nature, spend as much time as we can with the people we trust and appreciate. And of course, nothing can stop a person on the way of his or her dream if he or she really wants something. In other words, we should spend our time joyfully, be creative, kind, inquisitive and fearless.

This book helped me to remember myself at the age of 12. Also I read it in English and learned a lot of new words.

P.S. Being honest, I bought the book because I was intrigued by the title. It turned out that the characters really made wine from dandelions. But is it possible? If yes, I’d like to taste dandelion wine!

P.P.S. Lovefootball), I also like the film "The Godfather". I've already bought the book. I'll read it in summer if I have time.

It is not human to be without shame and without desire. (Ursula K. Le Guin)

Message edited by Nekavaen - Thursday, 03.02.2011, 13:22

MatrixDate: Friday, 25.02.2011, 14:02 | Message # 15
Student
As for me, I've read a collection of Mayakovsky's poetry. He showed another form of poetry and propagandized new art for the future. His poems are so expressive and emotional that i can't stop reading!

Forum » MISCELLANEOUS - LIFE AS IT IS » Literature » what was the last book you've read? (speaking about books)
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024