THE WORLD OF ENGLISH Thursday, 02.05.2024, 23:33
Welcome Guest | RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum moderator: Teacher  
Forum » MISCELLANEOUS - LIFE AS IT IS » Faith Matters » Russia plans to teach Orthodox `culture' in public schools
Russia plans to teach Orthodox `culture' in public schools
TeacherDate: Tuesday, 26.01.2010, 10:45 | Message # 16
Head teacher
Group: Admins
Awards: 0
MissJane, you know, this theme made me think about my faith. To my mind I should think over the things I believe in...

In Vino Veritas...

Former-TeacherDate: Tuesday, 26.01.2010, 13:21 | Message # 17
Dean
Awards: 2
As a teacher I am happy to see that my students take an interest in riligious matters. I once again want to say that this is an entirely private affair to believe or not to believe. What I wanted to bring home to you is one thing - faith is based on love. Love in Christianity is the core paradigm of earthly living. God is love. Love not for the sake of love itself, but for the sake of searching for love to God. No matter what happens in life, this remains a guiding truth. To attain this truth of love of living, we ought to follow God's commanments. These are human rules. When we violate these rules, we start searching for reasons why things have turned bad. Man's destiny belongs to God's will. But God never harness our will or restrict our freedom. But God shows (read the Bible) what is to happen if his will is violated. Then God is heavenly energy. Earth and human beings on it are the recepients of this energy. When we violate God's will, we cut off the energy of the Heaven.

AyayuliaDate: Wednesday, 10.03.2010, 13:03 | Message # 18
Union organizer
Group: Friends
Teacher, very deep thoughts, I agree with them. By the way, we spoke about new subject in the school, not about religion in general. So, to my mind it will be better to name the subject sort of history or include the subject in the course of history. As for me, I support the idea.

MissJaneDate: Saturday, 20.03.2010, 18:42 | Message # 19
Union organizer
Awards: 3
Quote (Ayayulia)
we spoke about new subject in the school

We spoke, people doubted, parents were worried, but the ministers embodied their plans into real actions. On the 1st of April (and this is not a joke) in some regions of our country a new subject for pupils of the 4th form will be introduced - "The basis of religious culture and secular ethics". The experiment will concern 19 regions of Russia: the republic of Kalmykia, Karachayevo-Cherkessia, Udmurtia, Chechnia, Chuvashia; Kamchatka, Krasnoyarsk, Stavropol territories; Vologda, Kaliningrad, Kostroma, Kurgan, Novosibirsk, Penza, Sverdlovsk, Tambov, Twer, Tomsk regions and Jewish Autonomous Region. The course consists of 34 lessons and presupposes 6 modules: Orthodox culture,
Islamic culture, Buddhist culture, Judaic culture, the history of world religions and the basis of secular ethics. Pupils (with the help of their parents) are to choose any one module of the six given. The course is compulsory; however, there will be no grades at the end of the term.

Former-TeacherDate: Monday, 22.03.2010, 10:33 | Message # 20
Dean
There is nothing bad about the course modules though. The knowledge and competences that students will get will be an important asset in their future. I am now seeing one crucial problem in all this - time and learning overload. How will this work? Who will teach? What subjects will disappear from the curriculum or be cut down on? In my opinion this should be an elective course.

MissJaneDate: Sunday, 28.03.2010, 13:24 | Message # 21
Union organizer
I totally agree with your opinion, Teacher. Pupils are really overburden, all the innovations brought into the curriculum aren't well-thought-out, I suppose. By the way, don't you think it is a bit early for children to study such matters? Unfortunately, I haven't had a look at the text-books for the subject, so my judgment may be wrong. But I remember when I was about 13 or so, we had a school subject called something like "World cultures", and I do remember that even at that age I was not not able to get the gist of many cultural matters connected with religion, faith and cultural traditions. More than than a lot of facts sounded like a fairy tale to me. So is the subject suitable for 4th formers, what do you think?

AyayuliaDate: Wednesday, 02.06.2010, 16:10 | Message # 22
Union organizer
I like the idea to acquaint children with all the major cultures, but we live in international country, so I think one religion shouldn't be taught deeper than others.

lovefootball)Date: Wednesday, 02.06.2010, 20:46 | Message # 23
Dean
Group: Users
Maybe, but this will also cause disputes) We have secular education and everything should be done gradually and wisely.

2YoungDate: Thursday, 12.05.2011, 15:02 | Message # 24
Monitor
NO WAY!Say "No" to church classes!Do you think about atheists?Moreover this "subject" isn't important in life, it won't help you anyway.But I'm not against this idea as an additional course.

Metus, dolor, mors ac formidines

LuckDate: Wednesday, 01.06.2011, 11:02 | Message # 25
Union organizer
Awards: 5
I would not be so agressive towards this topic. Children should be thought religion as well since that would mean that they learn more about good and kind things. There is no need to impose some special religious views on a kid but in my opinion things that our church teaches us are not bad at all and I would not say "BANNED" to it. I would agree with you though, probably religious lessons should be additional ones but not as a main course.

MissJaneDate: Thursday, 09.06.2011, 23:23 | Message # 26
Union organizer
Quote (Teacher)
Who will teach?

Well, I haven't thought about it. Indeed, who is going to take up the new subject? To my mind, priests should take an active part in this process. Who can do this better than church? I know, many will be against it and screen themselves with the word 'secular'. But I'm sure this shouldn't be laid on the shoulders of school teachers only (especially when some of them are atheists). And of course, this subject should be by no means compulsory. Children and their parents must have a full right to choose.

LuckDate: Thursday, 09.06.2011, 23:39 | Message # 27
Union organizer
I also think that we should not make teachers do this job. They are not so much competent and do not have such a great "experience" in faith matters anyway. It should be done only by priests and I do not think that people will be against it. Clever people will understand the reason for appearing a priest in school.

MissJaneDate: Friday, 10.06.2011, 17:11 | Message # 28
Union organizer
Luckily enough, my thoughts have been recently reflected in news. Today the members of the Eparchial Council of Ryazan gave consideration to introducing of the established post of the educational catechist. The representatives of Ryazan kindergartens and the Orthodox gymnasium also took part in the meeting. They were mostly concerned with the issues of teaching "The basis of religious culture and secular ethics" at schools. The members complained about the lack of class hours and experienced teachers. So I think some initial steps have already been made. Hopefully the stirrings about the matter won't die out.

LuckDate: Friday, 10.06.2011, 17:47 | Message # 29
Union organizer
Quote (MissJane)
"The basis of religious culture and secular ethics"

I think it will be nice if children are able to learn at least a bit of this information. Apart from becoming more educated they will be taught some good things that will help them to become good and kind people.

AllochkaDate: Sunday, 06.11.2011, 19:15 | Message # 30
Student
I couldn't keep myself from expressing my point of view about introducing a new subject at school concerning religion.I studied at an Orthodox gymnasium (in Smolensk) for 1 year and I also was at an Orthodox kindergarten. I have only good and pleasant memories about this period of my life. Nobody forced us to do something(for example,to go to church every week) or furthermore coerced to believe in God. Everything was unostentatious and clear (though we were little). So I am for this subject. I also want my children to have this subject at school. Nowadays children are overburden, but to my mind one lesson a week wouldn't harm them greatly.

Forum » MISCELLANEOUS - LIFE AS IT IS » Faith Matters » Russia plans to teach Orthodox `culture' in public schools
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024