THE WORLD OF ENGLISH Friday, 26.04.2024, 02:33
Welcome Guest | RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Forum moderator: Teacher  
Forum » MISCELLANEOUS - LIFE AS IT IS » Faith Matters » Russia plans to teach Orthodox `culture' in public schools
Russia plans to teach Orthodox `culture' in public schools
MissJaneDate: Sunday, 20.12.2009, 22:00 | Message # 1
Union organizer
Group: Friends
Awards: 3
Classes on the fundamentals of Orthodox culture have been introduced in the schools and universities of several Russian regions. They have become an important part of the curriculum- they are mandatory and graded. Representatives of the Orthodox church recognize that during the Soviet period, atheism and materialism led the population away from the Orthodox culture. Now, parts of Russia are using the religion as a means of reinforcing a national identity.
However, a plan by Russian education officials to teach Orthodox "culture" in public schools has sparked controversy over fears that it will become a form of government-sponsored religious instruction.
Russian Education Minister Vladimir Filippov announced recently that schools would begin offering optional classes in Orthodoxy. He insisted that the classes would not be religious in nature but said they would include "indispensable knowledge of Orthodox religion."

And what is your attitude to this issue? Does this innovation in education has a chance to turn into a way of manipulating our views?

AsyaDate: Sunday, 20.12.2009, 22:31 | Message # 2
Union committee president
Group: Moders
Awards: 6
Actually I've heard a lot about these classes. But I don't think it's a good idea. Many schools in Ryazan teach this subject, but it is an optional course. I suppose that's the best way out: to please the government and not to impose it on children.
Quote (MissJane)
Does this innovation in education has a chance to turn into a way of manipulating our views?

Well... I tend to say "yes"... That would be a good explanation of the reason for including this subject in our curriculum...

Former-TeacherDate: Tuesday, 22.12.2009, 11:06 | Message # 3
Dean
Group: Admins
Awards: 2
Well, I am more than in two minds. On the one hand, the orthodox culture and system of values should be passed on to new generations. On the other hand, we can do harm rather than maintain and promote these values. Personally, I think schools should have a general course of World Cultures and Religions and, using that knowledge, build their own education and competences. The problem is in who will be doing teaching itself. Moreover, those who want to learn more about this or that relegion may take optional classes. And those who practise orthodoxy on a regular basis (believers) may thnik of sending their children to church schools and the like. I am against one thing: - Religion is a matter of personal faith and cult. No government has any right to impose their decisions. If it imposes religious studies, it then will want to impose religious practices and events.

lovefootball)Date: Tuesday, 22.12.2009, 22:09 | Message # 4
Dean
Group: Users
These classes may cause a lot of problems and disputes. I think children should be familiar with the religion of the country in which they live and grow spiritually. I'm not experienced enough to speak about it with assurance but anyway religion should play a greater role in our lives.

MissJaneDate: Tuesday, 22.12.2009, 22:30 | Message # 5
Union organizer
Quote (lovefootball))
These classes may cause a lot of problems and disputes.

Yes, you're right. And I guess it might provoke a double bind.
I guess you remember the case when a schoolgirl and her father filed a lawsuit on the matter that the Darwinian Theory taught in the course of biology in school contradicts the Bible. Of course, it is absurd, but this is another scenario of the problem's development.

TeacherDate: Friday, 08.01.2010, 10:32 | Message # 6
Head teacher
Awards: 0
Quote (MissJane)
Does this innovation in education has a chance to turn into a way of manipulating our views?

Of course, it does. Religion is one of the ways to control people.

Quote (Teacher)
I think schools should have a general course of World Cultures and Religions and, using that knowledge, build their own education and competences.

I completely agree wit you. I think it's necessary not only to get knowledge about our state religion, but to compare different religions and, of course, cultures.

As for me, I'm glad that my parents haven't made me to become a churchman or smth. like this. I've got knowledge about our orthodox religion, but I've always had the right to follow it or not. Now I have my own views on life. I can't say whether I'm a believer or not and what my religion is, but I have the definite views on what is good and what is bad.

Quote (lovefootball))
I think children should be familiar with the religion of the country in which they live and grow spiritually.

I think you're right, but children mustn't be forced to become a believer.

In Vino Veritas...

Former-TeacherDate: Monday, 11.01.2010, 11:24 | Message # 7
Dean
Seagull, I'm afraid you seem to be a little wrong. I doubt that you've got sound knowledge of the Orthodox Religion. It's not that simple. The fist condition is to know at least the books of the New Testament. Have you read all of them? Have you read the four Gospels? Read these four books (there are more books on the New Testament) chapter by chapter. Retell these chapters. Well, we wll have a few classes on the Orthodox culture, the Bible, the Religion next simester and next year. We wil be doing it because it's impossible to understand world art and culture without the knowledge of Christianity.

TeacherDate: Monday, 11.01.2010, 12:49 | Message # 8
Head teacher
Teacher, Maybe I'm wrong... But now I can regard Christianity as a part of world art and culture. I see a religion, but not a faith. The problem is that I can't say that I'm an orthodox christian.

In Vino Veritas...

Former-TeacherDate: Wednesday, 13.01.2010, 09:37 | Message # 9
Dean
The world 'religion' means'unification' or 'reunion' on the basis of common faith and life vision. Religion can never be without Faith. Faith underpins any religion. Faiths are different, so religions are different. When you say that you are not 'an orthodox chrtistian', do you mean to say that you are a catholic, a protestant, a baptist, a presbetarian, an evagelist? These are all Christian confessions.

TeacherDate: Wednesday, 13.01.2010, 12:21 | Message # 10
Head teacher
Quote (Teacher)
When you say that you are not 'an orthodox chrtistian', do you mean to say that you are a catholic, a protestant, a baptist, a presbetarian, an evagelist? These are all Christian confessions.

I mean, that I have a faith... But...my own one. I can't absolutely associate myself with any of these religions, because I know some facts about some great religions in our world, and I like these facts. And my religion is just a mixture of several religions. You know, a man can't live without faith. So I have a faith, but my faith is not ordinary...

In Vino Veritas...

lovefootball)Date: Saturday, 23.01.2010, 18:44 | Message # 11
Dean
Group: Users
What facts do you like? Just give an example.

TeacherDate: Saturday, 23.01.2010, 19:47 | Message # 12
Head teacher
Quote (lovefootball))
What facts do you like?

For example, karma. I'm glad to think that our soul can live forever changing its physical body.

In Vino Veritas...

Former-TeacherDate: Monday, 25.01.2010, 12:05 | Message # 13
Dean
Seagull, when you talk of KARMA, you actually say that you are not christian. Karma means fate or destinity. In Christianity there is no such thing. The hand of God or Providence! According to Christianity, any humna being was born sinful but has a great chance for salvation if he or she follows God's commandments. God gives a human being His energy and a guarding angel who once bore the same name like your real one. Karma means you can know your destiny. I means that you reject God's will and the Providence.

TeacherDate: Monday, 25.01.2010, 17:26 | Message # 14
Head teacher
Teacher, I prefer to think that we create our destiny ourselves.

In Vino Veritas...

MissJaneDate: Tuesday, 26.01.2010, 01:18 | Message # 15
Union organizer
Alexey, don't get my words wrong as I don't intend to offend you, but you seem to be a lot like the main character of a very good movie "God is great, I'm not" (Dieu est grand, je suis toute petite). Religious searching is a very crafty thing, you'll undoubtedly have to face loads of contradictions. To my mind, it is easier to say "I don't cling to any sort of religion, because..." and prove your position.
And by the way, liking any fact of a certain religion has nothing to deal with your faith. For example, I like the idea that Catholics sit during the sermon, but it doesn't add up to my sharing the views of this branch of Christianity.

Forum » MISCELLANEOUS - LIFE AS IT IS » Faith Matters » Russia plans to teach Orthodox `culture' in public schools
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024