THE WORLD OF ENGLISH Saturday, 20.04.2024, 16:56
Welcome Guest | RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Forum moderator: Teacher  
Forum » ENGLISH LANGUAGE AND ENGLISH SPEAKING CULTURE » Life in the UK » Life in the UK (How they live)
Life in the UK
MegastarostaDate: Monday, 04.01.2010, 21:43 | Message # 1
Union organizer
Group: Friends
Awards: 2
Only if you live in London or lived , only in this case you will understand all pluses and minuses of life there. What can i say about people there? Well, some of them are strong enough, some of them are very very friendly and always ready to help. But all of them have one thing in common - they love and safe their traditions. The have one tradition and the whole world knows about it - five o'clock tea. Everyday in five o'clock, families in England come together and drink tea with biscuits. During this they speak about their working day and so on. This tradition i really liked, because it is very nice to have some rest with a cup of tasty tea after so busy day happy

TanyaDate: Monday, 04.01.2010, 22:38 | Message # 2
Course monitor
Well it is wonderful to have traditions. Some critics think that nowadays it is old fashioned. As my point of view it is partly wrong. Traditions make our world richer, more colorful, more exciting. And of course we should preserve our traditions.

MegastarostaDate: Tuesday, 05.01.2010, 10:29 | Message # 3
Union organizer
no, i completely disagree with people who think that traditions are old fashioned. Any way, why every nation takes care about their traditions? why they safe it and we, Russians not? i think that is the question. and we need to think about it.

TeacherDate: Thursday, 07.01.2010, 14:51 | Message # 4
Head teacher
Group: Admins
Awards: 0
Quote (Megastarosta)
why every nation takes care about their traditions? why they safe it and we, Russians not?

In Russia we see the shape of other countries society. It means that we see only modern things. And try to get them, to change our society. Especially such process is very fast among youngsters. Many people in our country just want to be like others in other states. In a race to foreign trendiness we forget about our traditions and values thinking that they're boring, old-fashioned. And the main reason for such a situation is our nurture.

In Vino Veritas...

MegastarostaDate: Thursday, 07.01.2010, 16:53 | Message # 5
Union organizer
Quote (Seagull)
It means that we see only modern things. And try to get them, to change our society.

hmmm, Seagull, every country do the same. But at the same time, people respect those old traditions. But we try to forget. That is the problem. Because without traditions the nation will die.

TeacherDate: Thursday, 07.01.2010, 20:41 | Message # 6
Head teacher
Megastarosta, I completely agree with you... So the future of our country is in our hands...

In Vino Veritas...

alex_makhDate: Friday, 08.01.2010, 10:53 | Message # 7
Monitor
Awards: 1
well, I can say that some traditions are really vert nice and should be followed... our new culture is no good, that's why we must save something from our past, in order not to degradate.

Quote (Seagull)
. So the future of our country is in our hands...

oh my, u're so pompous)))

AyayuliaDate: Sunday, 28.02.2010, 23:52 | Message # 8
Union organizer
I absolutely agree that we need to honour traditions. If we sometimes couldn't save old relics and monuments, we must even keep our traditions. If we lose our national peculiarity we won't differ Russia from other nations.

Former-TeacherDate: Saturday, 18.09.2010, 14:47 | Message # 9
Dean
Some of you have been to Great Britain and have your own experience of being there, feeling the culture, speaking the language, shopping for goods. How can you describe life in Great Britain based on your experience? Anything different from other countries?

NikkyDate: Thursday, 11.11.2010, 19:23 | Message # 10
Course monitor
Group: Users
Yes, of course, it's different from our country, for example.
Britain has it's own special ... flavour. Even air is different. It's lighter.
And one of the main diversities, there is no rubbish on the streets! biggrin

LuckDate: Saturday, 13.11.2010, 00:20 | Message # 11
Union organizer
Awards: 5
well, I have to disagree with you. There IS rubbish on the streets)) Of course there is not so much of it there as it is here. But still it 'exists' there too. Especially in those places where usually crowds of tourists gather, like London Eye (in the evening) for example.
But I also think that the country itself is very special, and very different from ours. People are very polite, and it seems that they are always willing to help you! So you even don't feel there like a foreigner.

NikkyDate: Saturday, 13.11.2010, 18:23 | Message # 12
Course monitor
Of course there is rubbish, because London is the capital smile And I think that's because of tourists happy
But I was talking about small typical english towns.

NadyaDate: Tuesday, 08.03.2011, 11:29 | Message # 13
Union committee president
Group: Moders
Let's talk about British lifestyles.
A good news- people live longer nowadays. On average, people live for 78 years in the UK- in 1911 it was only 52! Maybe it's because they have a healthy lifestyle. More people see smoking as a health hazard, only a quarter of the population smokes compared to half 30 years ago. People eat more fruit and less fat, but about two-thirds are seriously overweight.
More people work than ever beore- 79% of men and 69% of women have jobs. People earn three time more in real terms than 50 years ago but the difference between rich and poor people is bigger. The most important growth area for jobs is in computers. Young people certainly see qualifications as important to get a good job. And did you know that the British work the longest hours per week in Europe? That's an average of 45.7 hours for men and 40.7 hours for women.
Traditional family and homelife is changing. In fact, nearly a third of the population lives alone and there are fewer marriges nowadays. Woman are having children later and 29 is now the average age for having a baby. Young people are staying with their parents longer than before, mainly because it's expensive to get a place to live.
The proverb "Early to bed, early to rise" seems a good description of the Britich lifestyle. On weekends, most people get up before 8 a.m. and go to bed before midnight. Main meal times are from 8 a.m. to 9 a.m.(breakfast), at 1 p.m.(lunch) and between 5 p.m. and 9 p.m. (dinner).
What do people do in the evenings? On average, they watch TV for 25 hours a week. Children and teenagers watch less TV than 25-44 year-olds but spend five times longer on computers, mainly playing computer games. The biggest Internet users are the 16-24 year-olds- on average, they are online for four minutes a day.

NikkyDate: Wednesday, 13.04.2011, 17:52 | Message # 14
Course monitor
Quote (Nadya)
The proverb "Early to bed, early to rise" seems a good description of the Britich lifestyle. On weekends, most people get up before 8 a.m. and go to bed before midnight. Main meal times are from 8 a.m. to 9 a.m.(breakfast), at 1 p.m.(lunch) and between 5 p.m. and 9 p.m. (dinner).

Yes, that's it. I lived in an english family for 2 weeks and all the time I lived according to their timing. We had breakfast at 8 o'clock, lunch at noon, dinner at about 6 o'clock. It was very comfortable. The main reason, I think, was that I walked on foot all day long. I liked to sit on the beach for hours, to walk along tha streets. I didn't use public transport just because it was nicer to me just to walk.
And even if you use public transport you had to walk a lot.
So in the evenings I was extremely tired and I fell asleep at 10 or 11 p.m.! And I woke up at 7 a.m. without an alarm clock.
The main thing that I remembered about their lifeslyle is that every evening they invite friends or sit just with family members and talk about the day, watch TV together and discuss TV shows. They can drink some vine or make cocktails and talk until midnight. But our families don't have such a tradition. Do you think such a tradition will be good for our families?

Message edited by Nikky - Wednesday, 13.04.2011, 18:05

BlackAngelDate: Friday, 13.05.2011, 17:31 | Message # 15
Monitor
1.Stonehenge is a bronze Age monument from about 2000 BC. The standing stones came from Wales - over 320 kilometers away! They stand up to seven meters high in a circle. About 90 metres away from the circle there is another stone and on midsummer`s day the sun rises exactly over it. But why did The Ancient Britons build Stonehenge.

2.William the Conqueror building The Tower of London after the Norman invasion in 1066. It stands next to Tower Bridge.The tower in the center is called the White Tower. It has got a bloody history. They executed many people there, including Anne Boleyn, wife of Henry 8. Some ravens live in the Tower. According to the legend, when the birds escape,the monarchy will end. Today, you can visit the Tower and see the Crown Jewels.

3. Hadrian`s wall ran across the north of Britain between England and Scotland. It was originally five meters high. The Roman emperor,Hadrian, began the wall in 120 Ad to protect the province of Britannia from the tribes of the North. The Roman army finally abandoned it in 383 AD. There were many small castles and towers in the wall and soldiers could send messages quickly when there was an attack. Today there are some museums next to the wall - they show things the Romans left Behind

Added (13.05.2011, 17:31)
---------------------------------------------
Great Britain is rich in world-famous places. Certainly among them there are famous university cities Oxford and Cambridge, Shakespeare's birthplace — Stratford-upon-Avon, towns of Cardiff, Edinburgh and Glasgow.The Royal Shakespeare Theater was opened in Stratford in 1932.Cardiff is the capital of Wales.Cardiff is also a tourist center. There are some places of interest there.

Forum » ENGLISH LANGUAGE AND ENGLISH SPEAKING CULTURE » Life in the UK » Life in the UK (How they live)
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024