THE WORLD OF ENGLISH Sunday, 05.05.2024, 19:30
Welcome Guest | RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: Teacher  
Forum » ENGLISH LANGUAGE AND ENGLISH SPEAKING CULTURE » English Grammar Secrets » Used to do vs Used to doing
Used to do vs Used to doing
Former-TeacherDate: Thursday, 13.01.2011, 11:14 | Message # 1
Dean
Group: Admins
Awards: 2
Dear Netters!
I used to work there. - I am used to working there.
This rule is as old as the hills. I am sure that it has been explained to you a lot of times, but it always escapes your memory and argues with the Russian patttern. And you continue making the same mistake again and again.
- This sentence is a mistake: "....they could feel that something or someone was invading the world they used to living in."
- The correct version is: "....they could feel that something or someone was invading the world they used to live in."
The phrase 'used to do' is used only to describe past regular or habitual actions. Past Actions! When you translate sentences with "used to do", you must use the words like "раньше", "обычно", "бывало", "часто". E.g.:
- I used to collect stamps when I was a child. - Я раньше собирал...
- I didn't use to collect stamps when I was a child. - Я раньше не собирал...
- Did you use to collect stamps when you were a child? - Ты раньше собирал...?

In all of these sentences the phrase 'used to collect' should be translated as "раньше (не) коллекционировал". It means that now the speaker doesn't do it any longer. This pattern can NEVER be in any other tense form. Only in the PAST about the PAST. Don't translate it with the help of the Russian word "привык". MISTAKE!
The phrase 'used to doing' is just part of the bigger phrase 'be used to doing' that should be translated with the help of the Russian word "привык". This phrase can be in any tense form.
- I am used to collecting stamps.
- I am not used to collecting stamps.
- Is he used to collecting stamps?
- I have been used to collecting stamps all my life.
- I was used to collecting stamps.

Another thing! There are two different grammar indicators.
In the phrase 'used to do' the word 'to' is a particle in front of the invinitive.
In the phrase 'be used to doing' the word 'to' is a preposition in front of the gerund.
I hope, this reminder will help you to use these patterns correctly.

Forum » ENGLISH LANGUAGE AND ENGLISH SPEAKING CULTURE » English Grammar Secrets » Used to do vs Used to doing
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024