THE WORLD OF ENGLISH Sunday, 05.05.2024, 06:04
Welcome Guest | RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Forum moderator: Seagull  
Forum » UNIVERSITY LIFE » Topics for Discsussion » Modern literature “Worth reading or worth burning.”
Modern literature “Worth reading or worth burning.”
TanyaDate: Wednesday, 08.09.2010, 23:50 | Message # 1
Course monitor
Group: Friends
Awards: 2
Literature in general it is a special thing which can help us to be more educated in different spheres of life. And reading books it is not only a kind of entertainment but also a useful thing. And it is interesting that nowadays modern literature becomes really popular among people. And I think this topic is really actual for discussion. Should we read it or not? What gives us this literature? Should we study it in schools or universities or should we ignore it?
What do YOU think?

TeacherDate: Saturday, 11.09.2010, 01:17 | Message # 2
Head teacher
Group: Admins
Awards: 0
I think modern literature can be devided into two groups. People write in order to earn money or to express some ideas or thoughts that are really important. Of course, we should read modern literature, because it's a part of our nowadays culture. But I think we must avoid learning modern authors and their works during classes. I mean it can be a kind of facultative studies.

In Vino Veritas...

MissJaneDate: Monday, 13.09.2010, 14:07 | Message # 3
Union organizer
Awards: 3
And I think it is very useful to read and discuss modern literature in class. Modern fiction and documentaries give us a vivid portrait of an up-to-date person. We should search for books which deal with modern moral values, habits and way of life. By the way, it is interesting to look at the present generation objectively.

8davids8Date: Monday, 13.09.2010, 18:56 | Message # 4
Union organizer
Yes, but it often seems to me that objective view on the society is impossible when you live in it. We may objectively assess the Soviet society, or the society of the 19th century, but it's very difficult to abstract away from the way you live. I guess we may do it after half a dozen decades, but not now. And the reason for it is the changing in the social life.

lovefootball)Date: Monday, 13.09.2010, 21:08 | Message # 5
Dean
Group: Users
I don't think modern books are suitable to discuss at school. Children's mind is too receptive. But students are quite another story.

AsyaDate: Wednesday, 15.09.2010, 13:05 | Message # 6
Union committee president
Group: Moders
Awards: 6
Quote (MissJane)
And I think it is very useful to read and discuss modern literature in class.

I do agree with MissJane. Claiming that we should read modern literature in class I'm not saying we should discuss it instead of classics. No!!! I just think that modern literature is really worth reading. It raises various questions, it deals with our reality. And there are certain authors who write "modern classics". Why not discuss it in class, I wonder?!

AyayuliaDate: Thursday, 16.09.2010, 19:04 | Message # 7
Union organizer
Modern literature is also helpful in studying ways of using expressions or words of modern society.

RinaDate: Saturday, 18.09.2010, 13:19 | Message # 8
Union committee president
Awards: 4
As for me I like modern literature. It’s so various that anyone can find something suitable for him. By the way, which genres does it include? Everything from silly sweet women’s love stories to complicated esoteric fiction, from cheap detective stories to postapoplectic prose. And I do believe that it’s necessary to discuss some modern authors in school or University in order to understand some tendencies in our society.

lovefootball)Date: Saturday, 18.09.2010, 19:31 | Message # 9
Dean
Well, and how should we understand in this great variety of works what is worth reading and what really describes modern tendencies in our society?

AyayuliaDate: Tuesday, 21.09.2010, 17:25 | Message # 10
Union organizer
I read only the books which are adviced by my friend or have high rating in the internet. So, advice is usually more reliable))

lovefootball)Date: Thursday, 23.09.2010, 09:39 | Message # 11
Dean
And do you think most of the authors work just for money?

Former-TeacherDate: Thursday, 23.09.2010, 12:26 | Message # 12
Dean
Ayayualia, when you read books on the account that they are advised by youir friends, I think that you just don't know what you need to read. To understand what you need to read, the best thing is to read classics, then modern literature assigned for reading in schools, colleges, universities... Then you will understand what your mind needs and you can read any book and make up your opinion. For example, when I heard some negative remarks against Hemingway ( I am saying that he is my foavourite author), I understood that some students were simply unprepared readers.

AyayuliaDate: Tuesday, 28.09.2010, 10:38 | Message # 13
Union organizer
Teacher, you didn't understand me. The topic for discussion is modern literature, so I meant only it. That's quite different. Classics must be read by everyone, no matter whether it is advised or not.

Cherry_boomDate: Thursday, 20.01.2011, 19:22 | Message # 14
Student
Awards: 0
Modern literature should be read and in some cases be discussed. But not at school. Teenagers are so affected that for them it's better to read books which were censored.

MissJaneDate: Wednesday, 08.06.2011, 22:41 | Message # 15
Union organizer
Quote (Cherry_boom)
for them it's better to read books which were censored.

Do you think that the whole bulk of modern literature is littered with vulgarisms and abusive language? Do all modern books teach us to steal and kill? Is it the main purpose of the modern writers to debauch the young? What did you personally read from the up-to-date literature that made you feel so hopeless about the content of the books?
I'm sure it's not possible to live in Turgenev's literary world. You can't always follow the advice of Lermontov's dramas. They belong to immortal classics, I wouldn't protest. But times are changing, the perception of the world is different, the mentality is undergoing certain alternations. And literature keeps step with the modern trends. I wouldn't claim that the classics give you wrong advice. But it is of prime importance for every young person to look at the world through the spectacles of their contemporaries.

Forum » UNIVERSITY LIFE » Topics for Discsussion » Modern literature “Worth reading or worth burning.”
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024