THE WORLD OF ENGLISH Saturday, 04.05.2024, 06:37
Welcome Guest | RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum moderator: Seagull  
Forum » FORUM-PROJECTS » New Means of Communication Change us All » Strangers on the site... (Avatars and nicknames - what do we hind behind them?)
Strangers on the site...
TeacherDate: Monday, 25.10.2010, 02:01 | Message # 16
Head teacher
Group: Admins
Awards: 0
Well, firstly, I'd like to say, that very often it's necessary to use nicknames and wrong personal data in order to protect yourself from cyberterrorism. But this can easily lead to a paranoia, so I don't like to discuss this.

Secondly, as for me, I always try to use mu real photo and my real age filling up some I-net-form. I think that's the only thing that must be of honor in online communication. My name, my address, my telephone number or smth. else are not so important. My usual nickname is "Jonathan Livingstone". Actually I use in vkontakte as my first and second name. This is a name of one literary character. It's a seagull.

In Vino Veritas...

AsyaDate: Monday, 25.10.2010, 08:35 | Message # 17
Union committee president
Group: Moders
Awards: 6
Seagull, I think cyberterrorism is a little bit different thing.
And I've read Richard Bach. I know who Jonathan Livingstone is. By the way, why do you associate yourself with this character? Do you feel that you are behaving in a very different way than others? Do you suppose you have some very-very important aim in this life? just why?

Former-TeacherDate: Monday, 25.10.2010, 09:37 | Message # 18
Dean
Awards: 2
Quote (Asya)
And I don't like to use Nicknames when addressing someone. maybe, I'm too conservative. But nevertheless I don't like the idea of a nickname very much. Are you tired of your name? Or are you ashamed of it? Why do you want to change it?

Being a expert on psychology, you really understand that a person can not always reveal about him/herself. We often want to live a second life, have a second chance, have an alternative yet remaining the same person. An avatar helps this side of our psyche to express itself. It is NATURAL. It is like going to a party or the cinema or getting into a fix.

lovefootball)Date: Monday, 25.10.2010, 20:07 | Message # 19
Dean
Group: Users
Awards: 3
Well, I haven't thought of this idea of a second life and I'm not tired of my name, of course. The usage of nicknames just seems natural to me as far as online communication is concerned. It's like a stereotype or a tradition. Or maybe the point is that the Internet is just another world.

TeacherDate: Monday, 25.10.2010, 20:34 | Message # 20
Head teacher
Awards: 0
Asya, actually any word of explanation can be regarded as a sign of pomposity or haughtiness, that's why I'd better not to tell about the reasons. Let's say, that I like this character because he's free, he knows what freedom is. That's my inborn desire to become free.

In Vino Veritas...

NekavaenDate: Monday, 25.10.2010, 22:42 | Message # 21
Head teacher
Awards: 1
It's a wonderful desire, Seagul! Freedom is one of those major things that are worth fighting for! respect

It is not human to be without shame and without desire. (Ursula K. Le Guin)

AsyaDate: Tuesday, 26.10.2010, 02:12 | Message # 22
Union committee president
Group: Moders
Awards: 6
Teacher, avatars are a different thing. As long as we're speaking about avatars, I can easily understand the reasons for choosing pics instead of real photos. But when Nicknames are concerned, it's not the same. Avatar is likely to reflect one's mood (usually, not always, of course). But Nickname is a Name. That's not your mood. That's YOU!!!

Former-TeacherDate: Tuesday, 26.10.2010, 10:41 | Message # 23
Dean
No, Asya, the avatar and the nickname are more than mood. It involves a lot of psychic features that represent new sides of a human being that, for different reasons, have not be exhibited in the real life. These can be funny and silly, but they still represent your other self. So, yes I am often a child/toddler at heart who has just started walking vertically and learning the unusual world. Yes, often naive ... Now, it's not difficult to continue the train of thoughts. The same with the nickname.... Can liitle children teach us anything?

lovefootball)Date: Tuesday, 26.10.2010, 12:47 | Message # 24
Dean
But are we always guided by intuition while chosing this or that nickname or avatar? Can this choice be simpler? Just a funny face, just the name of some popular character...

NekavaenDate: Tuesday, 26.10.2010, 23:44 | Message # 25
Head teacher
Well, some people don't rack their brains long over nicknames and avatars and follow fleeting emotions. It's a fact.
But most of us, I think, don't make this choice spontaneously.

AyayuliaDate: Thursday, 28.10.2010, 15:37 | Message # 26
Union organizer
Group: Friends
I use the nickname but it includes my real name. My nickname means "but I am Julia" and
I have had it for 8 years. I always state real information in internet forms because I am responsible for what I am speaking about. Unfortunately, I have no avatar, but it happens because of some technical problems. But it will also be my photo. So if I you want to speak with me in real life, you can find me.

8davids8Date: Thursday, 28.10.2010, 19:13 | Message # 27
Union organizer
Quote (Ayayulia)
I you want to speak with me in the real life, you can find me.

how I wonder?)) it's like in the song i will recognize your face out of a thousand ones. ))

My nickname is the second name of a famous footballer of my youth, Edgar Davids, a very charismatic and talented one. Number 8 means the number of the kit he had in the Holland national team. I started to use the nickname when I started my internet activities. Then I decided not to change things because it's very convenient to use the same nick everywhere. More than that the combination of numbers and letters is always unique, so it can be used on the sites where many users are registered (like facebook or some e-mail service)

NekavaenDate: Sunday, 31.10.2010, 22:16 | Message # 28
Head teacher
Yes, interesting avatars and nicknames can become unique "calling cards" for active internet serfers.
As for me, I'm registered only on this site. It's quite enough for me at the moment.

MissJaneDate: Thursday, 04.11.2010, 10:15 | Message # 29
Union organizer
Group: Friends
For me, using a nickname is simply staying unrecognized. For instance, in real life when people meat each other, they have to go through a ritual of getting acquainted, whereas in virtual reality a different thing occurs. If you use your real name as a nickname, there is no need to get acquainted with you, people already know you name. But when you use a nickname (let it be just a senseless combination of letters and figures), the ritual is to be fulfilled. More than that, it seems strange to us to cry out our names and surnames in the street. That's why lots of people transfer this habit into the cyberspace.

However, I don't always follow these rules. On vkontakte.ru and facebook.com you can easily find me by my name (I did it just for the sake of those who seek). I don't use my real name on ICQ and other sites just because I don't find it necessary for other people to know it. Sometimes I change my nickname (psychologists can easily explain why) and use a real picture of me as an avatar.

Actually, this topic is very interesting from the psychological point of view, one can even write a thesis on this theme. A nickname and an avatar can tell many things about a person, even those which this person didn't imply to show.

NekavaenDate: Friday, 05.11.2010, 22:50 | Message # 30
Head teacher
Yes, I agree with you completely, Miss Jane. The choice of a nick and an avatar is always based on certain motives, depends on a person's character and temperament. Sometimes it can even give us an idea about what system of values our forum interlocutor is willing to follow.

Message edited by Nekavaen - Friday, 05.11.2010, 22:52

Forum » FORUM-PROJECTS » New Means of Communication Change us All » Strangers on the site... (Avatars and nicknames - what do we hind behind them?)
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024