THE WORLD OF ENGLISH Friday, 03.05.2024, 22:26
Welcome Guest | RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum moderator: Seagull  
Forum » FORUM-PROJECTS » New Means of Communication Change us All » Strangers on the site... (Avatars and nicknames - what do we hind behind them?)
Strangers on the site...
NekavaenDate: Monday, 18.10.2010, 21:33 | Message # 1
Head teacher
Group: Users
Awards: 1
Hello, everybody! Let’s start a new discussion!
Don’t you think it’s fantastic that modern means of communication give us an opportunity to visit different forums (including this useful and cool one) and talk about all sorts of things on-line? Of course it’s exciting because most of the people you are talking to are mysterious strangers hiding there real names and faces…
I think an avatar and a nickname that a person chooses when registering on the site can tell us a lot about his or her personality, hobbies, tastes and even attitude to life. Am I right? How did you choose your avatar and nickname? Do you think it’s better to tell everyone your real name and show a photo or become an enigmatic user?

It is not human to be without shame and without desire. (Ursula K. Le Guin)

RinaDate: Monday, 18.10.2010, 22:28 | Message # 2
Union committee president
Group: Friends
Awards: 4
Yep, it's an interesting subject to discuss! Really, why do people choose this or that nick, this or that avatar? I've noticed that girls tend to choose a nick which can reveal some traits of their character.”I'm so nice and so sweet and so funny”, - they think. That's why we have so many “sweeties”, “chocolates”, “babies” and “bunnies” among girls' nicks. Guys usually name themselves after their favourite movie hero/music band/song, any other person or character. Among my contacts in ICQ you'll definitely find Unforgiven (Metallica's famous song), White Knight (Computer play White Knight Chronicles), Chelentano (Adreano), and even Jonathan Livingstone (guess who!))) Have you come across the same tendency?
But sometimes nicknames are so complicated and even weird than no-one can guess what they mean...
p.s. as for me, everything's very simple – Rina is just my name without the first letter.

MadPandaDate: Monday, 18.10.2010, 22:52 | Message # 3
Monitor
Awards: 0
well... everything depends.... we hide ourselves because "me" in reality differs with "me" in the Internet... we want to look stronger, cooler, sweeter, cuter and so on... we behave according to our nickname or avatar... ps my nickname is also simple to understand... I'm pretty crazy, I love black and white.... and finally I adore pandas! They are sooooooooooo cute!!! =^_____^=

NekavaenDate: Tuesday, 19.10.2010, 11:37 | Message # 4
Head teacher
Girls, I agree with you completely.
As for me, I chose my nickname very quickly. My groupmates call me "Burn Nekavaen". I just took one part of this strange name.
My first avatar was taken from a computer game "Dragon Age". It was the face of the character, I created myself. My cute blond was a brave Grey Warden. She fighted the darkspawn and saved the kingdom of Ferelden from the Blight.
The avatar I have now appeared after I had rewatched the film "Alien vs. Predator". I understood that I have much in common with the predators (inside, of course). I'm a fearless person, often cruel and merciless to people I regard as enemies but always ready to help people I respect and appreciate.

Message edited by Nekavaen - Tuesday, 19.10.2010, 23:39

lovefootball)Date: Tuesday, 19.10.2010, 19:01 | Message # 5
Dean
Awards: 3
And maybe we choose nicknames that reflect our direct opposite? Just for a change.

AsyaDate: Friday, 22.10.2010, 08:03 | Message # 6
Group: Moders
Awards: 6
Yes, summing up what you've said, there are two major reasons for choosing nicks and avatars: either you want it to indicate your certain traits, or you choose it as the first step to behaving in a different way.
Actually I don't like the idea of using the Nickname. I'm not against it in general. But it's very important for me to know who I'm talking to, whether I'm acquainted with the person or not. Sometimes nicks and avatars are so 'original' that I can't guess whether this is a boy or a girl! And what should I do? Just ask "Are you a boy or a girl?" That would sound ridiculous!!!

Former-TeacherDate: Friday, 22.10.2010, 10:27 | Message # 7
Dean
Group: Admins
Awards: 2
Thanks for the thread. I remember discussing these things with my previous group. for example, my avatar tells a lot about myself, my nickname is just my job. Just for quick indentification.

TanyaDate: Friday, 22.10.2010, 10:30 | Message # 8
Course monitor
Group: Friends
Nicknames given to men often reflect their social status and accomplishments like "champ" or "boss". Female nicknames tend to reflect physical and emotional traits like "sweet pea" or "fussy pants." As for me, I usually use my real name and my real photo for the avatar.

lovefootball)Date: Friday, 22.10.2010, 20:47 | Message # 9
Dean
Asya, is it so important to know who you're talking to? Why? A lot of people use online communication just for the sake of communication itself. They share ideas.I think in many instances it doesn't matter who your interlocutor is.

NekavaenDate: Friday, 22.10.2010, 21:36 | Message # 10
Head teacher
But sometimes it's so pleasant to see a smiling face of a real girl of a photo of a cute baby among dozens of pictures depicting invented personages...

Former-TeacherDate: Saturday, 23.10.2010, 10:33 | Message # 11
Dean
Group: Admins
biggrin guessed a pelasing hint at my 'baby' avatar. Its meaning reads very simply. For me, it's about having so much to learn and experience in life, but positive, listening, hoping, relying, gullible, support-seeking.... on the other hand, anonymic communication is soemtimes a way out... it's like having no outside social borders, just freedom that can only be controlled and moderated by own own self.

NekavaenDate: Sunday, 24.10.2010, 16:27 | Message # 12
Head teacher
For most people it's certainly easier to feel free and speak about intimate and serious things when they are anonymous. batman

NadyaDate: Sunday, 24.10.2010, 20:02 | Message # 13
Awards: 0
I use my real name for the nickname too, so everyone knows that my name is Nadya)) In fact, it's very interesting why somebody chooses that name and what his/her real name is. And talking about my picture for the avatar- I adore black cats so I have just decided to choose it)))

lovefootball)Date: Sunday, 24.10.2010, 20:17 | Message # 14
Dean
Agree with Nekavaen. Sometimes we need just to bare our heart and it's preferable to talk to someone who is far from your surroundings in order to avoid gossip and squinting.I may even say it's like a visit to the psychologist.

AsyaDate: Monday, 25.10.2010, 00:24 | Message # 15
Awards: 6
lovefootball), I do use online communication for the sake of communication. But during this conversation we may argue or somewhat like that and then I'll try to understand why. Why is the person so convinced in something? Why can't he accept my point of view? Why can't I understand him in this particular question? and so on.
And when I know who I'm talking to everything becomes simpler. At least age, gender and occupation are necessary.
And I don't like to use Nicknames when addressing someone. maybe, I'm too conservative. But nevertheless I don't like the idea of a nickname very much. Are you tired of your name? Or are you ashamed of it? Why do you want to change it?

Forum » FORUM-PROJECTS » New Means of Communication Change us All » Strangers on the site... (Avatars and nicknames - what do we hind behind them?)
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024