THE WORLD OF ENGLISH Friday, 03.05.2024, 18:35
Welcome Guest | RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum moderator: Seagull  
Forum » FORUM-PROJECTS » New Means of Communication Change us All » Strangers on the site... (Avatars and nicknames - what do we hind behind them?)
Strangers on the site...
lovefootball)Date: Saturday, 06.11.2010, 14:43 | Message # 31
Dean
Group: Users
Awards: 3
A system of values? But how? What can a nick tell about a person if it was chosen just by chance, for fun or was suggested by someone else?

NekavaenDate: Saturday, 06.11.2010, 19:35 | Message # 32
Head teacher
Awards: 1
Of course, if a nick is just a strange combination of numbers and letters it will be hard for us to define it. But when, for example, a person chooses the name of a famous person or a well-known literary or movie hero it's quite possible that he or she associates herself or himself with this personage. The same with avatars, I think.
But you are right that we can't know for sure if the netter we are talking about is honest and serious or is just playing. And of course, there are people who face certain difficulties when creating nicks and avatars and listen to their friends' suggestions.

It is not human to be without shame and without desire. (Ursula K. Le Guin)

MissJaneDate: Sunday, 07.11.2010, 10:36 | Message # 33
Union organizer
Group: Friends
Well, sometimes our nicknames can give away some information about us. But should we trust our guesswork? Could it be totally misleading?
For example, lovefootball) is one of the sort. biggrin I'm actually unsure whether this person really adores football or it is just irony or even mockery (it is especially not clear how the smile functions here)...
So it is not always possible to come to accurate conclusions.

lovefootball)Date: Sunday, 07.11.2010, 16:46 | Message # 34
Dean
Agree, it depends. But I can say for sure that my nick isn't ironical at all) But the idea is interesting. It has never occured to me that someone may choose this or that nick to mislead others intentionally.

AyayuliaDate: Thursday, 11.11.2010, 23:05 | Message # 35
Union organizer
Awards: 2
But sometimes people, especially girls, use nicknames only in order to show something: Pussy, butterfly, Boss of the world, Just sexy. They may be romantic or ironic, but I think that they have some connotations

lovefootball)Date: Friday, 12.11.2010, 19:13 | Message # 36
Dean
H'm, that depends on what one wants to show. And I don't think such a nickname is proper taking into account that a nick is a way to express oneself. But again it depends on the intention. And do you think such nicknames have a right to exist? Or are they absolutely senseless?

LuckDate: Saturday, 13.11.2010, 00:11 | Message # 37
Union organizer
Awards: 5
why not. People can name themselves as they wish. For example my nickname...well, I think when I registered somewhere I just typed the first combination of letters that came into my mind!:D And even now, when my friends ask why "luck", I don't know what to answer, because I really don't know WHY))) But I got used to it so much, that I don't want to change it, becuase everything is connected with it: my email address, my "names" on the other sites..I just know that even if I change it, I would not be able to memorize something new)))

lovefootball)Date: Saturday, 13.11.2010, 21:16 | Message # 38
Dean
I guess that's one of the most important reasons for using this or that nick. A habit.What coulb be simpler - it's in our nature.

NekavaenDate: Monday, 15.11.2010, 23:18 | Message # 39
Head teacher
Awards: 1
Yes, it often happens so that a person uses a certain word on internet sites because it has become a habit. It may be just typical of him or her to be associated with a certain combination of numbers and letters. For example, my nickname on the internet is my nickname in reality. Friends call me Nekavaen and I've got used to being called so.

It is not human to be without shame and without desire. (Ursula K. Le Guin)

Former-TeacherDate: Thursday, 18.11.2010, 13:49 | Message # 40
Dean
Group: Admins
Our present avatars and nicks, using different avatars or nicks at the same time, mottoes and quotes, virtual behaviour in RPG or online quests, things we write - they all represent different sides of us all, whether we want it or not. That's the way we have fixed ourselves in cyberspace because some of these things never function in real life but we need them.

AyayuliaDate: Tuesday, 23.11.2010, 11:24 | Message # 41
Union organizer
Some people also use some methods to make their nicknames more unusual and attractive. For example they use only CAPITAL letters or they aLtErNaTe them, they use different signs (%$#).

Former-TeacherDate: Monday, 07.02.2011, 15:47 | Message # 42
Dean
MissJane wrote: 'Well, sometimes our nicknames can give away some information about us...' A question to MissJane! Since we are all that clever and curious, can you tell us why you have changed your avatar? A split juicy apple sprinkled with drops of fresh water! Is there anything special that your personality tells us?

thinkerDate: Sunday, 10.04.2011, 15:48 | Message # 43
Monitor
Awards: 0
Very interesting topic! An opportunity to live other lives seems to me very attractive. When people are boring or want to fill their life with new emotions, they like to wear masks not only in the I-net, but in real life too. My avatar is the photo of one of my favorite American writers Truman Capote. I adore his novels and am impressed by his scandalous style of living! Somebody will say that this photo is unattractive, but I simply like it. My nickname may sound like something pretentious, that’s why I already don’t like it. But I only meant that there’re a lot of thoughts that are always mixed in my head and disturb easy living))

Former-TeacherDate: Monday, 11.04.2011, 18:46 | Message # 44
Dean
Quote (thinker)
But I only meant that there’re a lot of thoughts that are always mixed in my head and disturb easy living))

Well, it's intriguing, isn't it? I wonder, what thoughts can be troubling you? What thoughts seem to be mixed and confusing? Could you tell us more?

AyayuliaDate: Monday, 18.04.2011, 17:34 | Message # 45
Union organizer
I’m firmly convinced that every nickname reflects something, even if it is just a name of a person, it may (or may not) show that the person isn’t creative or something else. Actually I am not a professional in this sphere, so I can’t decode it)))

Added (18.04.2011, 17:34)
---------------------------------------------
I’m firmly convinced that every nickname reflects something, even if it is just a name of a person, it may (or may not) show that the person isn’t creative or something else. Actually I am not a professional in this sphere, so I can’t decode it)))

Forum » FORUM-PROJECTS » New Means of Communication Change us All » Strangers on the site... (Avatars and nicknames - what do we hind behind them?)
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024