THE WORLD OF ENGLISH Saturday, 04.05.2024, 04:52
Welcome Guest | RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Forum moderator: Megastarosta  
Forum » MISCELLANEOUS - LIFE AS IT IS » Pets in our Life » Thinking Animals (Do animals think, dream, understand, learn, have conscience?)
Thinking Animals
Former-TeacherDate: Saturday, 13.11.2010, 09:33 | Message # 1
Dean
Group: Admins
Awards: 2
It's like in the article 'Do Animals think". Tim Radford from the Guardian writes, "When a fox hears the hounds baying and starts to run, is it obeying some ancient instinct, or does it 'know' to be afraid?" When your cat lies on your aching head, does it react to some natural type of negative energy coming out of your body, or does it know that it will heal you and you need it? Do animals think? Can animals make conclusions? Can animals understand between the good and the bad? Do you believe that animals think? Can you give examples? Do you have any facts or data on it?

NadyaDate: Saturday, 13.11.2010, 15:20 | Message # 2
Union committee president
Group: Moders
Awards: 0
Yes, I think that animals are very clever because they just have to survive in our world. And about cats...yes, I can give an example- I have a cat. When, for example, my leg hurts, he just lies on it and I really feel better smile And I don't think that it's just a coincidence. Have you ever had the same situation?

NekavaenDate: Sunday, 14.11.2010, 18:13 | Message # 3
Head teacher
Group: Users
Awards: 1
Of course, animals can think! Their life is often more complicated than ours and they also have to solve serious and complicated problems. They are capable of communicating with each other and understanding human mood and intentions. Most animals form well-organised societies where everyone has his or her own role, status and responsibilities. Of course instincts are strong but I don't believe that a wild animal can be naturally programmed on saving somebody's life. But if often happens! And there are situations when very hungry predators attack grown-ups but don't touch little children. I've heard a story that happened once in India. A cruel maniac kidnapped a girl and led her to the forest. The girl was crying and a group of tigers heard that. The predators rushed to the place where the man was and bit him to death. And then they surrounded the girl so that she would not be chilly. And they had been guarding her till the moment people from her native village came.
Nadya, my grandmother's cat Vasya always does the same when she has problems with her legs, arms or suffers from stomachache.

It is not human to be without shame and without desire. (Ursula K. Le Guin)

Message edited by Nekavaen - Sunday, 14.11.2010, 18:14

lovefootball)Date: Sunday, 14.11.2010, 18:35 | Message # 4
Dean
Awards: 3
I guess scientists can give thousands of "proper" explanations to this phenomenon but I'm sure we shouldn't trust to dry facts only. It's too naive of us to think that we're the only reasoning creatures in the world.

TeacherDate: Monday, 15.11.2010, 11:00 | Message # 5
Head teacher
Group: Admins
Some years ago I had a dog. Still I tend to think that she was very clever. She knew all the words connected with food. And she knew when we were talking about her. She understood everything when we were speaking with her. Probably, these are the signs of reflexes, but I'm convinced that she really could think.

In Vino Veritas...

NikkyDate: Monday, 15.11.2010, 19:22 | Message # 6
Course monitor
Quote (Nadya)
have a cat. When, for example, my leg hurts, he just lies on it and I really feel better And I don't think that it's just a coincidence. Have you ever had the same situation?

Yeah. I have a cat too. And she always cures me happy
She helps me with my headaches, stomach-aches and always amuses me when I'm in a bad mood smile

lovefootball)Date: Monday, 15.11.2010, 20:21 | Message # 7
Dean
By the way,why are we talking only about cats, dogs and so on? Don't you think that such animals as cows,hens,pigs can think? Or they don't because they're kept for quite different purposes and lack attention?

NikkyDate: Monday, 15.11.2010, 22:56 | Message # 8
Course monitor
I think that's because the most of us keep cats and dogs at home. And we can give an example from our life.

NadyaDate: Tuesday, 16.11.2010, 22:47 | Message # 9
Yes, you are right. And lovefootball), do you know any examples? I think that communication with animal plays a big role. With our pets we "communicate" everyday and with such animals as cows, pigs we don't. And most of us just don't have them. So that's why I think that dogs and cats are smarter.

LuckDate: Wednesday, 17.11.2010, 00:53 | Message # 10
Union organizer
Group: Friends
Awards: 5
In my family we now have a cat. And it sometimes seems to be very smart, especially when it wants to eat:) All my sister's poor parrots had been eaten by the cat before they started talking, so I cannot judge about their "intellect". But when I was a small girl, I had a hamster. It was so clever, and it was enough to say something to it to make him leave its house, or to make him do something very simple. Animals are clever. All the animals are clever. And they do help us in our life.

NekavaenDate: Thursday, 25.11.2010, 00:17 | Message # 11
Head teacher
Yes, I agree that all animals are clever and we depend on all of them greatly. But as in the human world where there are people who are more intelligent than others, not all animals show the same level of quick-wittedness, ingenuity and retentiveness. For example, not all dogs can become sleuthhounds. An animal must pass a strict selection to prove that he or she is able and ready to learn and then serve people.

lovefootball)Date: Thursday, 25.11.2010, 07:40 | Message # 12
Dean
But animals that serve people aren't ready for this inherently,they are specially trained.I think it's a matter of training but not intelligence. Or at least not intelligence only.You mean that they have inborn features that just require development?

NekavaenDate: Thursday, 25.11.2010, 23:27 | Message # 13
Head teacher
Yes, I'm sure that all animals possess some inborn talents that can be discovered and developed. For example, one dog is very lively, friendly, endearing and learns to perform interesting tricks easily - so it can become an excellent child entertainer. Another one has unique flair – so it can be a police dog capable of detecting substances such as explosives, illegal drugs, or blood quickly.
But you are certainly right when saying that it’s people who search animals’ talents on purpose and decide how these abilities will be trained and used.

Message edited by Nekavaen - Thursday, 25.11.2010, 23:28

NadyaDate: Saturday, 27.11.2010, 16:24 | Message # 14
Yes, I agree with you. Our attitude to our pets plays a big role in their lives. But I also think it's not enough just to train animals. Pets are like their owners. If they treat them with care, pets are friendly and lively. And to my mind people mustn't look for special talents in their pets and develop them. These talents will show off if a pet has a good, "happy" life and a careful owner. And then, a pet will have the best qualities.

lovefootball)Date: Saturday, 27.11.2010, 19:36 | Message # 15
Dean
They say that pets and their masters share some common traits. Do you think it's true? Or it's just another strained stereotype? Is it possible to compare animals with people? In point of fact, we're very different.

Forum » MISCELLANEOUS - LIFE AS IT IS » Pets in our Life » Thinking Animals (Do animals think, dream, understand, learn, have conscience?)
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024