THE WORLD OF ENGLISH Saturday, 20.04.2024, 01:00
Welcome Guest | RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Forum moderator: Tanya  
Forum » MISCELLANEOUS - LIFE AS IT IS » Silence » Silence and Thought (Selince as the best condition for thinking)
Silence and Thought
Former-TeacherDate: Wednesday, 10.11.2010, 09:34 | Message # 1
Dean
Group: Admins
Awards: 2
Folks, do you tend to keep silent when you need to think and reason? Do you think better and faster when you discuss things aloud or when you say nothing but scribble down a few thoughts?

lovefootball)Date: Wednesday, 10.11.2010, 22:20 | Message # 2
Dean
Group: Users
Awards: 3
I think there's no definite answer to the question. On the one hand, it's a well-known fact that the exchange of opinions provides food for thought .I appreciate arguments because they enrich us. But on the other hand silence can be a blessing! Profound rest helps us concentrate and shape our ideas.I guess that it all depends on one's mood.

AsyaDate: Wednesday, 10.11.2010, 23:28 | Message # 3
Union committee president
Group: Moders
Awards: 6
I agree with lovefootball) that it all depends. Depends on very many factors.
Silence is good when you want to concentrate. usually. But not always. I dunno why but now I can do nothing in silence. I'm listening to the radio all day long. No matter what I' busy with. With the exception for reading. I prefer to read in absolute silence.
Discussing things is also very useful. It helps us, somewhat, gain inner harmony. It's very important to speak about the things that bother you aloud. Not only is it about arguing, but speaking about some problems we kinda analyse them on a profound level. Because when we explain things, we firstly should understand them ourselves.

RinaDate: Thursday, 11.11.2010, 21:42 | Message # 4
Union committee president
Group: Friends
Awards: 4
First of all I can't but mention the fact that it is too difficult to find ABSOLUTE silence nowadays - we live in quite a big city and even when you are home alone there are still your neighbours who are producing noise of different kinds - they are knocking and shouting, they are singing and drilling. More than that you have to keep your windows always closed if you do not want to be disturbed by cars passing by and cats mewing under the trees. Where can one find absolute silence, I wonder?
By the way, I do prefer silence, or at least smth that seems to be silent. All these noises – radio, TV, clocks ticking, bla-bla-bla, they irritate me a little bit. So, I always tend to look for certain silence, even when it is hardly possible.

lovefootball)Date: Friday, 12.11.2010, 19:28 | Message # 5
Dean
Indeed! But I guess we're so used to such surroundings that everything seems quite normal for us. The funniest thing is that many of us can't bear silence! We can turn on the TV, phone somebody or do anythinh else just to avoid silence.

NekavaenDate: Friday, 12.11.2010, 21:00 | Message # 6
Head teacher
Awards: 1
I also think it's hard to find a silent place nowadays! And we've already got used to living in such conditions. icecream
As for me, I prefer to think about vital problems when I'm alone in the flat and nobody sees me. I switch off the TV-set and the computer, put aside my cell phone and start walking and talking loudly to myself. Of course, it may seem strange...
But when it comes to dreaming I prefer to sit on the floor, close my eyes and travel in my fantasies keeping silent...

It is not human to be without shame and without desire. (Ursula K. Le Guin)

lovefootball)Date: Saturday, 13.11.2010, 21:39 | Message # 7
Dean
Agree. This is also true for watching a serious suggestive movie - it's just impossible to understand it rightly when the main character's inspired speech is accompanied by drilling)

МарусяDate: Monday, 24.01.2011, 14:03 | Message # 8
Monitor
Awards: 0
I know that to achieve the silence of the mind is very difficult.
Yoga helps me.
Try to stop thoughts for 1 min. Deep silence helps us to relax.

Added (24.01.2011, 14:03)
---------------------------------------------
Nekavaen But when it comes to dreaming I prefer to sit on the floor, close my eyes and travel in my fantasies keeping silent...

Do you rest when you are dreaming?

NekavaenDate: Thursday, 27.01.2011, 12:35 | Message # 9
Head teacher
It depends on my thoughts. When I relax and remember pleasant moments from my past or imagine myself in unreal and funny situations, I always have a rest from everyday routine.

lovefootball)Date: Thursday, 27.01.2011, 18:55 | Message # 10
Dean
It's a kind of meditation, I think. Maybe, the effect is not very strong but it's definitely relaxing, I can even say such moments 'clean' our the mind and make clean the state of it.

Message edited by lovefootball) - Thursday, 27.01.2011, 18:55

Former-TeacherDate: Saturday, 29.01.2011, 09:29 | Message # 11
Dean
Group: Admins
Awards: 2
Quote (lovefootball))
It's a kind of meditation, I think. Maybe, the effect is not very strong but it's definitely relaxing, I can even say such moments 'clean' our the mind and make clean the state of it.

Well, It's clear that you have never tried yoga. Make it an everyday practice for yourself, for example for the benefit of your health. On a bigger scale, it is simply a 'time tunnel' that takes you far away from earthly realities and gives you a chance to get recharged biggrin

lovefootball)Date: Saturday, 29.01.2011, 13:12 | Message # 12
Dean
Why is it so clear?)) I thought of it some time ago but preferred "usual" exercises, I don't know why. And is it possible to practice yoga at home, without professional help? I always thought it wouldn't give the desired effect. Have you ever tried it yourself?

NekavaenDate: Monday, 31.01.2011, 13:46 | Message # 13
Head teacher
I’ve never tried yoga, but I’m sure one can’t achieve great results without the help of an experienced instructor.
I've heard that in order to do all physical and mental exercises correctly, a person should first learn special breathing rules and basic postures, develop specific energetic awareness of him\herself, understand the main concepts of yoga as a philosophy.
I think it’s extremely hard and almost impossible to do it at home by reading a book.

lovefootball)Date: Monday, 31.01.2011, 14:58 | Message # 14
Dean
Sure, the same thing with fasting: it isn't enough just to exclude certain products, people should understand its meaning and goals. So I also think that one should begin with theory. Anyway, even if you change your mind about Yoga practice, you'll learn something new that was unexplored for you earlier.

LuckDate: Tuesday, 07.06.2011, 00:23 | Message # 15
Union organizer
Group: Friends
Awards: 5
Yoga is a very complicated thing and I think it can even be dangerous if you try to make all these difficult exercises just on your own. You should follow professional advice and it's impossible to get it at home. So don't do such things just being alone.

Forum » MISCELLANEOUS - LIFE AS IT IS » Silence » Silence and Thought (Selince as the best condition for thinking)
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024