• »
Forum moderator: Luck  
Forum » MISCELLANEOUS - LIFE AS IT IS » Beauty Rules » Body Art: Tattoos
Body Art: Tattoos
Former-TeacherDate: Thursday, 09.12.2010, 09:55 | Message # 1
Dean
Group: Admins
Awards: 2
I have heard so many opinions about tattooing! Some say it is body art! Some say it is filth! Tattooing is really great! Tattooing is really awful! Tattooing is an ancient habit! Tattooing is a social and cultural mark! Tattooing is a language of symbols! Tattooing is good and must be taught! Tattooing must be banned! Tattooing is good business! Tattooing is an essential extension of our body language!

NekavaenDate: Saturday, 11.12.2010, 01:00 | Message # 2
Head teacher
Group: Users
Awards: 1
I do like tattoos! I think it’s cool to have some ink on your body!

Tattooing as a specific form of art has a long history. It’s believed that first tattoos were made in Ancient Egypt approximately 6000 years ago. Then a tradition of decorating human bodies with ink pictures emerged among different civilizations and became almost universal.
In ancient times tattoos used to make a person more attractive for potential mates. Ink pictures could show the status and give some information about the origin of their owner. Sometimes tattoos were used as signs of sacrifice to gods. They were also talismans and amulets that couldn’t be lost when hunting or fighting and were believed to protect people from magical attacks.

Tattooing is still very popular nowadays, though the motives and reasons for becoming an “inked person” are surely different in most cases. Of course, there are primitive tribes and even highly developed cultures in which ancient traditions are carefully kept unchanged. But I don’t think that residents of big cities want to get tattoos because they need spiritual support before a great hunt. They just want to express themselves or follow the fashion.

I know there are people who prepare for the procedure seriously. They take into consideration the following points.
1) It’s risky for your health to get tattoos because it’s like a medical operation. So, tattoo needles and ink must be absolutely sterile. The danger of contracting a disease or infection will be very high if the tattooist isn’t careful and experienced enough.
2) If you decide to get rid of a tattoo, it will be very hard to do it. They say it can be even more expensive, painful and time consuming than getting one. For example, a tattoo will represent the name of you current girlfriend. But are you sure she'll be with you forever? The same with the names and symbols of favourite groups and football teams, pictures of movie characters.
3) Every drawing, every symbol has its specific meaning that can vary from culture to culture.
A person must find out what EXACTLY his or her personal ink picture will mean before letting it occupy several square centimeters of precious skin.
4) It’s important to think about possible reaction of parents, friends and colleagues. If you don’t care about what others may say or think – skip this point. If not… Some people, especially old aged ones, consider tattooing to be a bad, primitive and horrible thing and associate it with the criminal world.

I’m sure tattooing is great. But a person should be firm in his or her decision to change a bit and mark the body with ink. A sense for proportion and common sense, of course, should prevail. Have you ever seen tattoo addicts whose bodies are covered with numerous pictures and symbols? There is a famous one - Matt Gone. 98% of his body is covered with tattoos. You can find his photos on the Internet easily if you want.

It is not human to be without shame and without desire. (Ursula K. Le Guin)

Message edited by Nekavaen - Saturday, 11.12.2010, 01:51

lovefootball)Date: Saturday, 11.12.2010, 18:44 | Message # 3
Dean
Awards: 3
But still we can't ignore public opinion not because we aren't able to make our own decisions but because we must accept some rules to lead a normal life. I'm sure that employers won't go into raptures if they see a tattoo on the prospective employee's body. It isn't a question of preferences or taste, it's just business: such a worker may scare the clients because most people prefer to deal with someone who has more or less traditional appearance.

NekavaenDate: Saturday, 11.12.2010, 23:02 | Message # 4
Head teacher
Yes, you are right, Lovefootball. Some employers may refuse to interview an applicant if there is a tattoo on his or her body. The craziest ones will even be interested in detecting those ink pictures that are hidden under clothes.
I agree that if you have a very vivid, big and frightful ink picture in a place where it can be seen easily, serious problems with future bosses, colleagues and customers may occur. But if the tattoo is small or big and colored but unseen, why can’t it be accepted as a part of one’s image?
I think we should be tolerant towards people with tattoos. Looking at them we can understand a lot of important things better. For example, we can once again make certain that everyone has his or her own perception of beauty. One guy would love to see a wicked looking skull on his shoulder, another one – a face of a beautiful maid.
Do you have tattoos? Would you like to have one? If yes, what picture will you choose?

MadPandaDate: Tuesday, 14.12.2010, 00:02 | Message # 5
Monitor
Awards: 0
I do have a tatoo =) and it's really funny to see people staring at you in summer when there is no possibility to hide it... I agree, some people don't believe it's real and always ask to touch or to rub it... it does look very funny biggrin some people really adore it and some look at me as if I were something really vicious or immoral ^^ I can definitely say that it DOES make people look at me =))
ps I have a small rose on my left clavicle, it has about 5cm in diameter

NekavaenDate: Tuesday, 14.12.2010, 01:17 | Message # 6
Head teacher
Oh, your red, red rose... I also want a tattoo! I think I'm ready for it but I can't decide which picture to choose...

MadPandaDate: Tuesday, 14.12.2010, 02:45 | Message # 7
Monitor
let's decide together.... ps actually, I want to make another one, but not forever... it can be a black lizard on the left thigh... just on a very embarrassing scar

Message edited by MadPanda - Tuesday, 14.12.2010, 02:46

lovefootball)Date: Tuesday, 14.12.2010, 14:31 | Message # 8
Dean
Do you really want a tattoo? Or you're just inspired by our dicsussion? Do you think it will change you or people's attitude to you? And on what basis are you going to chose a picture? I mean fashion, your prefernces or maybe some underneath meaning?

NekavaenDate: Tuesday, 14.12.2010, 23:09 | Message # 9
Head teacher
I've been thinking about it for a long time, Lovefootball. I'm sure it won't change other people's attitude to me, but I personally will feel more confident. I will do it for myself, because I want it and I don't care about what others may say. My future tattoo will be: first, very beautiful; second, abstract and symbolic. Only I and the tattooist will know it's true meaning.

lovefootball)Date: Wednesday, 15.12.2010, 14:57 | Message # 10
Dean
And what's your attitude to those who choose not pictures but inscriptions? For example, the names of the parents or children? Maybe, you'll wait a bit and make such a tattoo?

NekavaenDate: Thursday, 16.12.2010, 00:28 | Message # 11
Head teacher
Well, I'm sure such a tattoo may become a symbol of love and devotion. As for me, my parents know my attitude to them and I don't have to prove anything. Children... Hm... I'm afraid I'll never have them; I'm too busy to become a mother and too proud to be somebody's wife or girlfriend.

lovefootball)Date: Thursday, 16.12.2010, 20:16 | Message # 12
Dean
You're busy now but you can't be sure for the future))) Do you think they are real symbols? Maybe, they're made just for effect? And what should one do if he falls out of love with someone whose name is stained on his shoulder?)

MadPandaDate: Friday, 17.12.2010, 10:44 | Message # 13
Monitor
To my mind drawing names and band's symbols is silly... today you adore it, them or him, but tomorrow you get disappointed in your idle and hate him... the symbol should be unique and mean something for you... my advise: choose carefully, think a lot about the picture, place and salon and the most important thing - do you really need it... you will not be able to get rid of it, it's not a new dress that you can throw away when you don't like it anymore, it's a part of you, like your arm or your leg... once you've got it, it will stay with you forever, so don't regret...

MegastarostaDate: Friday, 17.12.2010, 11:41 | Message # 14
Union organizer
Group: Friends
Awards: 2
As for me a tattoo means an art form. I hope you've noticed the difference between modern tattoo and those tattoos that people made 20-30 years ago in prison. Russian people still think that tattoo means those blue drawings on the body of prisoners and that making a tattoo means a bad and dismissed style of behavior. When my bf made a tattoo on his back, my grandmother was so shocked that i thought she would have a heart attack.

lovefootball)Date: Friday, 17.12.2010, 12:15 | Message # 15
Dean
And doesn't your boyfriend regret that he has made a tattoo? Do you like it? And has you grandmother got used to it?)

Forum » MISCELLANEOUS - LIFE AS IT IS » Beauty Rules » Body Art: Tattoos
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024