THE WORLD OF ENGLISH Saturday, 04.05.2024, 23:36
Welcome Guest | RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum moderator: Seagull  
Forum » MISCELLANEOUS - LIFE AS IT IS » Theatre and Acting » Why do we go to the theatre?
Why do we go to the theatre?
LuckDate: Sunday, 06.09.2009, 13:48 | Message # 1
Union organizer
Group: Friends
Awards: 5
Why do we go to the theatre? I guess everybody can explain this in his own way. As for me, I like the theatre because it’s a good place where you can relax and enjoy the acting. The most interesting thing about the theatre, I think, is that we can see the actors, feel that they are next to us and feel their real emotions and expressions. That is not a movie where a director can “remake” the episodes for thousand times. So this natural acting makes the audience look at the stage more attentively. Besides, if you go to the theatre you can watch old classics and this viewing can help you to understand the author better, to realize the message that he sent to us, readers. So, I believe that we should go to the theatre more often. The theatres shouldn’t be neglected.
And how do you think, why do people go to the theatre? Does it really impress them or it’s just one of the ways how to spend your free time?

8davids8Date: Sunday, 06.09.2009, 15:25 | Message # 2
Union organizer
Group: Admins
Awards: 2
Many people say that theatre is much better than cinema. And they are certainly right. I guess everyone of us is an actor at some extent, so maybe we go there just to see a familiar reflection of ourselves, our lives. More than that theatre is a place where one can rest from city noises or its turmoil.
Actually theatre is just like cinema but you all the action not on the screen, but on the stage - and of course actors' play make you feel fascinated. And that's not kust about actors' paly, but also about music. Theatre is a place where one can enrich himself spiritually.
So, why not to go there?

AsyaDate: Sunday, 06.09.2009, 19:37 | Message # 3
Union committee president
Group: Moders
Awards: 6
I can’t but agree with the ideas given in the text that we all have read. I do think that “theatre has its own charm” and that “the power of stage is enormous”. I also stick to the point that when we watch a good performance we get a very useful life experience. Nobody doubts that theatre is one of the greatest art forms, but still the number of people going to the theatre (especially regularly) is quite limited. I believe this happens because of our busyness and rather expensive tickets. Maybe, if theatre were “closer” to us, there would be more people enjoying it.
Are you a theatre-goer? Why/why not?
Do you agree with me that going to the theatre is an expensive way of spending your free time?

Added (06.09.2009, 19:37)
---------------------------------------------

Quote (Luck)
Does it really impress them or it’s just one of the ways how to spend your free time?

I'm convinced that going to the theatre is not simply a way of spending your free time. It's much more than that. Theatre-goers are really impressed by the magnificence of the theatre itself and the involvement into the performance. Really, I don't know anyone who goes to the theatre because he has nothing to do and just wants to waste his time.

MissJaneDate: Sunday, 06.09.2009, 22:40 | Message # 4
Union organizer
Awards: 3
Some time ago I heard a very reasonable opinion: "Theatre, that has reached perfection, is sentenced to die". Fair enough, I think. To my mind, we should be sincere to ourselves and admit that theatre is really "sliding down" nowadays. Well, it's still alive and popular amoung certain groups of people but obviously it hasn't already got enough magnetism to pull in loads and loads of people. Yet, theatre has become a sort of elite leisure-time activity and, in many cases, not a cheap one. However, there are some reasons for going to theatre. At least you can compare this form of art with others, specifically with cinema. Let's imagine that we are going to shoot a movie episode, where our main character is in deep thoughts about what to do next. A close-up picture, maybe an ear-shot, and an offscreen-voice. The audience is expected to be moved by the effect. And what about the play? We can't make a close-up view of the actors, and back rows won't see the mimics. The actors must think up some other ways to express the same things. Yes, it's difficult and more than that, it can be achieved only after many rehearsals which are unnecessary in film-making. Some people say theatre lacks effects and can't produce the atmosphere required by the script. For instance, my dad always says he hates theatre because actors have to shout to make their speach audible and that spoils the whole impression of the play. Everyone is right in a way. And to make your own judgement about the world of theatre, you should GO there. No critic can implant you an idea about theatre if you have never seen it with your own eyes. And maybe you should go to the theatre to learn about our life a bit more. Just a bit, and you will see it differently. up

Message edited by MissJane - Monday, 07.09.2009, 21:57

RinaDate: Sunday, 06.09.2009, 23:07 | Message # 5
Awards: 4
As Robert Brustein, American theatrical critic and producer, once said, "THEATERgoing is a communal act, movie going a solitary one". Theatre performance is always a dialog- between the actors, between the actors and the audience... A dialog as it is - vital, emotional, continuous, that creates the inimitable atmosphere of the theatre. To my mind, the very ATMOSPHERE, charm of performing art makes people go to the theatres. They become the witnesses of the magic transformation that takes place on the stage, they find themselves in another world, between the fantasy and their reality and it makes the theatre a unique form of art.

Quote (Assa)
Do you agree with me that going to the theatre is an expensive way of spending your free time?

Well, unfortunatelly, it is. But, it is said, that the price of something depends on its value. There is costume jewellery and there is antique jewellery, there is tin and there is gold. There are lots of cheap ways of spending your free time and there is the theatre.
The only one question I have - Does the quality of the theatres we have in our city (country?) correspond to what it is meant to be?

alex_makhDate: Tuesday, 08.09.2009, 03:17 | Message # 6
Monitor
Awards: 1
I'm not a theatre goer at all, but I can suppose that people go there 'cause it's a very delicate and exquisite way of spendin' free time - theatrу is not for the poor and also not for the hidebound! moreover i believe it's a real way to expierence a real emotionally-informational exchange between the actors and the public.)

maybe i'll visit a theathre... someday... maybe when i'll get tired of loud noizy rock gigs... it means NOT FOR THE WORLD!!!))) ha-ha-ha))) just kiddin')))

AyayuliaDate: Tuesday, 08.09.2009, 10:16 | Message # 7
Union organizer
It is difficult for me to compare theater and television. Certainly, technological advance in the film keeps on attracting the audience with TV’s glitz and glamour. But it is fake. All that we see in TV is just a range of episodes. If an actor forgets his text, the director can just film another take. Theatre actors don’t have the right to mistake. Audience sees the whole play, the real piece of art. But now local theatres in our country suffer a great amount of difficulties. It is not a problem to purchase a ticket in a small towns. Such theatres have very small budget, plays, which are not up-to-date, poor scenery, and unqualified actors. They don’t have an opportunity to run a good advertising company. Consequently people prefer TV rather than theatre. I absolutely agree that theatre must produce plays that can reflect our own lives on stage, that can keep the audience during all the performance. Only when plays will be urgent, interesting and exciting, I will start to visit theatre again.
Do you like plays of our local troupe? Do you agree that modern places are either not up-to-date or vulgar? (speaking about our local troupes)

TeacherDate: Tuesday, 08.09.2009, 11:05 | Message # 8
Head teacher
Awards: 0
'Theater is like a mirror where we can see ourselves, but we need to muster up the courage to face it and to enjoy it wholheartedly.' I like this thought.

As for me, theater is another world, another reality. I adore theater. Unfrotunately, I was there only once. I'd like to visit theater as a spectator and as an actor. I have a dream to play, but I don't think it will comу true. Theater doesn't absord other kinds of art, it is only one of them. On the other hand theater is separate kind of art. Dozens, sometimes hundreds of people work only for several hours of a play, but they create and incredible show which tucks into your mind and soul and becomes a part of you.

Speaking about the quotation, somebody can say that theater os a reflection of human's malice. I say NO. Theater is a reflection of the whole our life with its wickedness and well-doer. If you want to feel a supreme of any emotion, go to the theater and you'll get it. If you want to understand people around you, go to the theater and you'll realize their thoughts.

Theater makes us laugh and cry, but it is perfect.

P.S. Only one question for you: if our life is a theater, so who writes our plays?

In Vino Veritas...

Message edited by Seagull - Tuesday, 08.09.2009, 11:08

8davids8Date: Tuesday, 08.09.2009, 11:15 | Message # 9
Union organizer
Quote (Seagull)
P.S. Only one question for you: if our life is a theater, so who writes our plays?

we're actors and playwrites at the same time)

AsyaDate: Tuesday, 08.09.2009, 11:26 | Message # 10
Group: Moders
Awards: 6
Quote (Seagull)
I adore theater. Unfrotunately, I was there only once.

So, you've been there only once. I wonder how you dare give us advice like
Quote (Seagull)
If you want to feel a supreme of any emotion, go to the theater and you'll get it. If you want to understand people around you, go to the theater and you'll realize their thoughts.
if you know nearly nothing about the theatre. What are your conclusions based on???

TeacherDate: Tuesday, 08.09.2009, 11:33 | Message # 11
Head teacher
Assa, my conclusions based on what I know about the theater and logic... If you don't agree with me or smth else, just don't follow my advice.

In Vino Veritas...

Message edited by Seagull - Tuesday, 08.09.2009, 11:33

TanyaDate: Tuesday, 08.09.2009, 11:55 | Message # 12
Course monitor
As for me I like to go to the theatre when there is a chance for it. Theatre is one of the attractive form of art. It is a great way to express all you positive emotions. It is a wonderful and magical world where audience not only can see a famous and favourite actors but also to find answers to a lot of questions. Theatre educates people influence their way of life, helps them to solve problems. Theatre creates a special atmosphere, one feels the illusion of being together with the actors on the stage in everything they perform. We can enjoy ourselves listening to good music, splendid voices, and seeing the exellent acting of the actors. And finally, makes us all better people!!!
P.S I am sure being an actor is a really difficult, but interesting and useful. And How do you think?

MissJaneDate: Tuesday, 08.09.2009, 23:23 | Message # 13
Union organizer
Awards: 3
Seagull, maybe I am mistaken, but to my mind it's not necessary to edit your message after somebody has expressed his opinion frankly or asked you a question you don't like. "...muster up the courage to face it and to enjoy it wholheartedly" =)
So if you've been to the theatre only once and you think it is the place of great experience, why don't you go there for the second time?

MegastarostaDate: Thursday, 10.09.2009, 23:10 | Message # 14
Union organizer
Theatre.....How many we have in this little word: emotions, light, colour, stage, actoras, ovations and so on. Why do you go to the theatre? As for me, i go there to be see a colorfull perfomance, to forget my problems, to have some rest,to see beautiful costumes. Dont you think that theatre is another world, another relity, where you can meet you favourite characters from you favourite books and not only books. Do you really think that entrance ticket is expensive? But dont you ever think, that you spent money for you. Ofcourse, you can spend this money for new pink bag with lots of crystals, for example, but you will throw it away soon and impressions ater the perfomance you will never forget. By the way, theatre makes you clever person, that is why the game is worth the candle.

Neriel-samaDate: Wednesday, 07.10.2009, 10:55 | Message # 15
Student
Group: Users
Sorry for a late addition to the topic, but have you ever watched a play after which both women and men burst into tears? I was lucky to watch such a phenomenal performance. It was in Moscow, in not very famous theatre, but a good one. To tell you the truth, the plot itself is rare. Who will write about the problems of a little dumb!blind! and deaf girl? For two hours we watched motionless and speechless how a young just arrived nanny tried to make this girl realise, that she was not alone, there was a world around. It's a very strong play based on the life of a real woman. If you are interested, please, read this article (http://www.manwb.ru/articles/arte/theater/keller_mystery) . After this play I understood that there is magic in theatre. I became a fan of theatre. But unfortunately there is no thaetre in Ryazan worth going((

Forum » MISCELLANEOUS - LIFE AS IT IS » Theatre and Acting » Why do we go to the theatre?
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024